Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lideandeyn View Post
    Reviving thread.

Now in 1.26, what do you think of the 40 card ally-heavy amber? I can't reference the posts but it seems to be working well for me.

I tried a 30 card deck without puwens and blakes, maybe it's because I don't know how to make it work but it feels rly helpless if you have a bad starting draw and there's also really nothing much to do on turns 1 and 2. If its convenient, maybe Giskard or yourself could elaborate on the mechanics of a 30 card ally-light Amber deck?

Alternatively, and in before "omglookatallthesethreads", do direct me to one. Thanks.
    Gosh, I nearly missed this thread, PM me next time as well?

Firstly, good and relevant questions -

I am going to be straight - Blood Frenzy is too important for me. I must have it by turn 4. Which means 1 thing - only 30 cards in the deck.

I will never play amber in 40 cards. tried it, does not work out.

I wish to reserve some privacy regarding the contents of my own Amber deck - I'll simply inject some ideas and provide something for everyone to think about?

How many weapons do u use to win a game? For me, it usually only takes 2.

In mid to late game, would you prefer to draw a Jasmine or a Puwen?

While I am concerned about early game, I am far more concerned about mid to late game. tat's what seals the win. Survive the early onslaught and win at the end.

It does not matter that at the end you are left with 2 or 3 life - as long as your opponent is dead before you. Yes?

Enrage - 10 life. super card to think about. Your opponent can whack u for a few turns and it does not reach 10 damage.

IMO, Amber is far better than Gwen because of enrage. Gwen must 'kill' using Soul Seeker in order to gain life. (If you are using Crimson Vest for Gwen, you are off track)

Lastly, strategy plays a part in the game. which means the more you play, the better you'll get at strategy.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Majere View Post
    Gosh, I nearly missed this thread, PM me next time as well?

Firstly, good and relevant questions -

I am going to be straight - Blood Frenzy is too important for me. I must have it by turn 4. Which means 1 thing - only 30 cards in the deck.

I will never play amber in 40 cards. tried it, does not work out.

I wish to reserve some privacy regarding the contents of my own Amber deck - I'll simply inject some ideas and provide something for everyone to think about?

How many weapons do u use to win a game? For me, it usually only takes 2.

In mid to late game, would you prefer to draw a Jasmine or a Puwen?

While I am concerned about early game, I am far more concerned about mid to late game. tat's what seals the win. Survive the early onslaught and win at the end.

It does not matter that at the end you are left with 2 or 3 life - as long as your opponent is dead before you. Yes?

Enrage - 10 life. super card to think about. Your opponent can whack u for a few turns and it does not reach 10 damage.

IMO, Amber is far better than Gwen because of enrage. Gwen must 'kill' using Soul Seeker in order to gain life. (If you are using Crimson Vest for Gwen, you are off track)

Lastly, strategy plays a part in the game. which means the more you play, the better you'll get at strategy.
    I do agree with you on BF. Someone somewhere else however raised a relevant point, that if you're going to play BF on turns 2 or 3 (which you probably would, because you have no 2cc allies), if they drop a bazaar later your bf just becomes redundant. I mean, drawing 3 cards is good and all that, but the -1 life every turn to draw 3 cards AND exhaust your 30 card deck faster is a bad trade off imo.

That being said, I have lost games where I dont get a BF within the first 10-15 cards simply because my card draw exhausts. It's at that point of time I wish I was playing a 30 card amber.

No worries about the privacy, it is respected. There're plenty of threads out there discussing 30 vs 40 card amber decks anyway. Maybe one day I'll search you and have a look.

Re: the puwen point, well, in late game I'm not sure I'd want to draw either. But you're right, I'd prefer to draw jasmine.

The reason I brought this up is because the build which utilises 2cc weenies in combination with JD does seem to have some synergy. or at least, it provides pretty excellent board control up til turns 4 and 5, which are the important points of the game anyway. I take your point (repeatedly) that Amber is supposed to be weapon heavy, and I agree to an extent. However, the chance to drop t2 blake t3 aldon and then t4 JD+BF seems like a perfect starting (if you go first) and gives you nearly unassailable early advantage leading to a win. Plus, if you take my statement above and swap blake for puwen and jasmine for aldon, the range of cards is wide enough in a 40-card deck to give you a quite high percentage to get nearly all those cards within the first 10 cards.

Agreed on amber > gwen.

And yeah, on strategy, guess I'll go back to basics on the 30 card amber and try it out again. The concept isn't difficult, I just dont like having to deal with a blake on t4 knowing that if I put a 3cc ally at t3 its gonna be killed by blake / aldon combi and I'm taking up to 7 damage until t4 from a 3/1 ally.