Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

[L4DDER] It's OPEN SEASON, 1st-4th July

POSTPONED / CANCELLED

From Friday 1st July until Monday 4th July,
    it is not Open Season on the 40 card ladder.

DETAILS:

1) Open Season begins 1st July 6PM GMT+0. It ends on 5th July 6AM GMT+0.

2) Up until the start of Open Season, the ladder continues to function as normal.

3) Just before the start of Open Season, I am going to reset the game history. Positions on the ladder will be unaffected by the reset of game history, and the ladder will continue to function as normal during Open Season.

4) During Open Season, anyone can challenge anyone, even people below them. This is to encourage people to play as many games as possible, and rack up as many wins and long winning streaks.

5) All Open Season matches are Best of Three. One-game matches during Open Season do not count towards Open Season and may not be reported on the ladder - they are effectively friendly games.

6) Every participant will have an Open Season score at the end. The top three scores will get prizes.

7) Your Open Season Score will be based on three things: final ladder position, number of wins, length of winning streak. The precise weightings of each thing are yet to be decided.

8) As this is an Open Season, there is no penalty for refusing a challenge. The indirect penalty is that you have missed out on a match and a possible win.

9) When Open Season has ended, the 40-card ladder rules will be changing, such that challenges can only be made to people within 10 places of your current position. This will help counter the issue of a really low rank person getting one win against a high person and ending up top of the ladder.

SCORING:

* For final ladder positions, you get 25 points for #1, 24 points for #2, etc. No points for 26 or below.
    * 3 points for a win.
    * 3 wins in a row against different opponents gets you a bonus 3 points. Each successive win against different opponents gets you another bonus point. Once you lose a game, you can start trying to build another streak.

Scoring examples:

1) If someone has played 10 games and won them all, that would be worth 40 points + ladder position. Let's assume they played all their games below rank #25, so they have 40 points overall.

2) Someone at rank #5 plays five games and wins them all. That is 21 points for the rank and 20 points for the five games in a row.

Thoughts? Questions? Post them here! We are running out of time.

Note: I will cancel it if I get a lot of complaints, but I'm pretty psyched about this idea, and hope you will be too!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Cool. That's the day after tomorrow for us Aussies, isn't it?
    Fire Snakes are high in Vitamin D.

Account for Gondorian to put crystalz into: Reshiram99

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reshiram99 View Post
    Cool. That's the day after tomorrow for us Aussies, isn't it?
    1st July is tomorrow. Open Season will start at 6PM GMT+0 on 1st July and end at 6AM GMT+0 on 5th July.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Oh, ok.
    Fire Snakes are high in Vitamin D.

Account for Gondorian to put crystalz into: Reshiram99

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would weight the final ladder position the lowest. Why? Because it's too easy to "game" the ladder position with a little cooperation from a friend or guildmate. For example, any friend/guildmate who's high on the ladder can, at the last minute, lose a game to you and effectively sling you up high on the ladder but lose practically nothing for themselves (because they would fall only one rung).

Most (all?) of us in the ladder now are an honorable bunch, but when you incentivize things, morals and ethics can be rationalized for some folks. It's human nature.
    Purveyor of Probability - Team A1 - How the rating system works and why high ratings act strangely
    I now play only unrated matches in the Shadow Era 40 Card Ladder at shadowera dot gondorian dot com slash ladder40
    If my IRC nick says shannong|L40 that means I'm open for a Ladder40 challenge. I'll take all comers no matter where you are on the ladder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    If they rematch you and win, they lose nothing, you gain up to one rank below them. It's open for abuse definitely.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shannong View Post
    I would weight the final ladder position the lowest. Why? Because it's too easy to "game" the ladder position with a little cooperation from a friend or guildmate. For example, any friend/guildmate who's high on the ladder can, at the last minute, lose a game to you and effectively sling you up high on the ladder but lose practically nothing for themselves (because they would fall only one rung).

Most (all?) of us in the ladder now are an honorable bunch, but when you incentivize things, morals and ethics can be rationalized for some folks. It's human nature.
    I was thinking of the following:

* For ladder positions, you get 25 points for #1, 24 points for #2, etc. No points for 26 or below.
    * 3 points for a win
    * 3 wins in a row against different opponents gets you a bonus 3 points. Each successive win against different opponents gets you another bonus point. Once you lose a game, you can start trying to build another streak.

Examples

1) If someone has played 10 games and won them all, that would be worth 40 points + ladder position. Let's assume they played all their games below rank #25, so they have 40 points overall.

2) Someone at rank #5 plays five games and wins them all. That is 21 points for the rank and 20 points for the five games in a row.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOG View Post
    If they rematch you and win, they lose nothing, you gain up to one rank below them. It's open for abuse definitely.
    Well, by deliberately losing at first, their winning streak will end.

But if someone has just lost their streak, then there is no penalty ... hmmm.

So how I give 5 points for a win and lose 2 points for loss?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +1 for open season! But I'm trying to figure out how it works.
    1. I'm second in lader now. Positions in the ladder will annafected by this. So, I will stay #2 for open season, or after open season
    2.The ladder positions arent work with points now? So, most points #1?
    3. If you win vs #1 you get 25 points(really don't understand how the pointsvand ranks work)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    +1 for open season! But I'm trying to figure out how it works.
    1. I'm second in lader now. Positions in the ladder will annafected by this. So, I will stay #2 for open season, or after open season
    2.The ladder positions arent work with points now? So, most points #1?
    3. If you win vs #1 you get 25 points(really don't understand how the pointsvand ranks work)
    The resetting of game history will not affect ladder positions. Games during Open Season will, as normal.

Assuming your last final position is #1 then winning against #1 will have got you 25 points if you've come from #26, yes. But you still need to be winning other games, since 6 wins in a row gets you 24 points, so a lowly rank #60 person could just play low rank people and end up with a high score without considering the ladder position bonus.

Hope that makes sense.

The stategy for any player during Open Season should be to get lots of wins, ideally with some against top 25 players. The incentive for top 25 players to take on all comers is that they need to be winning games to increase their score.

I think it's pretty innovative and I hope it works out!