Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
I had a think in the car on the way to work.

Here's some of my random thoughts:

1) If all matches were best of three, there is reduced chance of a lucky win, so that change alone might make the current system better.

2) In a one-game match, a winning challenger should only move up halfway, and the losing defender does not move unless they were next to each other already.

3) That prick in the outside lane needs to move in, so I can get past.

4) We could keep track of successful defences of a position on the ladder, so you can see whether someone is worthy of their current spot or not.

5) If someone does get a lucky jump to #3, they can keep losing and only drop one place at a time and still be in the top ten after 7 losses. This does not feel right, but it is also how I am still in the top 20, despite losing so many games! But, if I knew I could drop further for a loss, would I have accepted all of those challenges?

6) I really should pay my credit card bill today.

7) Having an overall leaderboard, based on ladder position and win/loss ratio combined, would be a good way to see who the best players really are and prizes could be based on that leaderboard.

8) Wow, that journey went quick!

Discuss!
Re #1, I would strongly discourage this approach. Much as we all love CCGs, it's very rare that i can sit down and play 3 consecutive games without interruption. It would greatly reduce my participation in the ladder if matches were required to be best 2 out of three deals.

Re #2 and #5, If a defender loses, he should move downward. Doesn't seem logical to stay put. Most people intuitive want to see positive movement if you win, and negative movement if you lose.

#2 and 5 are the really tricky ones, IMO. The way it is now, with a penalty of only -1 rung on the ladder if you lose, it makes you MUCH more willing to take on all challenges. If you start penalizing a losing defender too much, they're going to reject a lot more challenges. On the balance, I say leave it how it is now.