Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Thought I'd bump this to give you an update on what's happening with the ladder site:

1) I have made new sign-ups require activation before participation. This has let me post a proper link to the site on the forums and elsewhere.

2) I have made it easier for me to activate new people without needing to log into the database

3) I added the GMT+0 clock onto the page, so people can more easily plan games

4) I've created an experimental page that gives you the ladder, the chat and the web-based game all in one window: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/frames4.html
    This works well on Chrome, but is untested on other browsers. (Note that you can drag each frame to whatever size you like to match whatever setup you want on Chrome.)

The next things I plan to do are:

1) Allow people to record their challenges on the site, via a button next to each player's name, and see who is challenging them on the main page when they are logged in. The list of outstanding challenges will automatically update if a match between those people is recorded. Old challenges that weren't played will cause an auto-loss to be created, but not actioned until a ladder admin confirms this to happen.

2) ask people to fill in their email address, which will be kept secret, but will be used to alert players when they have been challenged

3) add an "I'll be in the chat room in X hours box" so people can show they plan to be around later today, to aid meet ups

4) anyone who has not played in 7 days drops 20 places - if you are good, but on holiday, you should be able to climb back up easily

Other ideas:

1) within report match, I could collect the hero names of each player, so we could gather stats about the current meta.

2) allow users to post their decks on the site

3) leaderboard based on win ratio, to accompany the ladder

4) change the ladder to promote you a maximum of 5 places for a win, but still always drop you 1 place for a loss as defender (a losing challenger does not drop)

Let me know your thoughts!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GondorianDotCom View Post
    4) anyone who has not played in 7 days drops 20 places - if you are good, but on holiday, you should be able to climb back up easily
    O_o

World Championships 2nd Place Flycheung's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    4) I've created an experimental page that gives you the ladder, the chat and the web-based game all in one window: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/frames4.html
    This works well on Chrome, but is untested on other browsers. (Note that you can drag each frame to whatever size you like to match whatever setup you want on Chrome.)

[flyc] not friendly enough for me. it would be better if the game frame at left and chat on top right and ladder on bottom right though. For now, http://shadowera.gondorian.com/ladder40/gamechat.html work best for me.

[flyc] The rest sound goods to me as long it promote more plays.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flycheung View Post
    not friendly enough for me. it would be better if the game frame at left and chat on top right and ladder on bottom right though.
    I like this idea, page split into 3, with a full half for the game. Chat and ladder page don't need as much space, but do still need width, and so would be better tiled horizontally with each other.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOG View Post
    I like this idea, page split into 3, with a full half for the game. Chat and ladder page don't need as much space, but do still need width, and so would be better tiled horizontally with each other.
    The Toggle Ladder link at the top lets you hide the ladder completely (giving its space to the game window, and creating something like gamechat.html), and Toggle Game gives you a page that looks like the original frames.html. I figured that you rarely need to look at the ladder, so it can be mostly hidden, but I like having it available in the same tab, and its useful to be able to give it 50% (by Toggling Game) for when you're actually using the ladder page.

World Championships 2nd Place Flycheung's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Understood what you meant, GDC. But I could use another tab for the ladder page to achieve the result, it's same amount of mouse movement and clicking anyway.

Also, the toggle will lose your re-sized frame each time.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thought I'd bump this to give you an update on what's happening with the ladder site:

1) I have made new sign-ups require activation before participation. This has let me post a proper link to the site on the forums and elsewhere.

2) I have made it easier for me to activate new people without needing to log into the database

3) I added the GMT+0 clock onto the page, so people can more easily plan games

The next things I plan to do are:

1) Allow people to record their challenges on the site, via a button next to each player's name, and see who is challenging them on the main page when they are logged in. The list of outstanding challenges will automatically update if a match between those people is recorded. Old challenges that weren't played will cause an auto-loss to be created, but not actioned until a ladder admin confirms this to happen.

2) ask people to fill in their email address, which will be kept secret, but will be used to alert players when they have been challenged

3) add an "I'll be in the chat room in X hours box" so people can show they plan to be around later today, to aid meet ups

Other ideas:

1) within report match, I could collect the hero names of each player, so we could gather stats about the current meta.

2) allow users to post their decks on the site

3) leaderboard based on win ratio, to accompany the ladder

4) change the ladder to promote you a maximum of 5 places for a win, but still always drop you 1 place for a loss as defender (a losing challenger does not drop)

Good ideas. All of em. +1
    proud former member of A1 Alliance
    overview of all
    my strategy articles

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Other ideas:

These two are really good ideas.

1 would be really awesome, I clicked this thread now to ask for it and saw it was already suggested, I can even implement it if you're out of time to do so.
    Last edited by Giskard; 07-23-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I like both suggestions GDC...