Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunnah View Post
    I can too, but the sooner the better for sure. It just complicates things when official tournaments are 40 card, but all other games are minimum 30.
    I had originally signed up for the 30 card ladder but decided against it. Im liking 40 cards better, even on my gwen.
    For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Twitter: @N3rd4Christ | Skype: N3rd4Christ
    >>>>> My Trade Thread <<<<<

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I've been saying for a LONG time now that 40 card minimum should have always been the case. 30 is just too few cards to allow for good deck variety and a wider meta-game. Can't get here soon enough
    Mark (aka Quorlan)
    Realms Apart Studios home of Duels of the Runemasters
    A Whole New Kind of Customizable Card Game
    http://www.realmsapart.com

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by shannong View Post
    And yes, the current card pool *totally* supports variety and hard choices even in the 40-card format. You still struggle just as much to decide on which 39 cards to put in the deck.
    Definitely agree with this. I've been trying out a 40 card Jericho deck and I'm agonizing over the cards.

With a 40 card deck it also allows you to have more than one set strategy. For example, if I was going for 30 cards, a plague Jericho deck would only be efficient if it focused only on that. It would have to be a different build for a heavy ally deck. With 40 cards though, you can somewhat incorporate both and change strategies depending on what happens in a match.

As Kyle mentioned before though, in order to move into 40 deck minimum, they'd have to increase the size of the starting packs, probably adjust the AI opponents for this, etc. I do hope they speed it up to the next version but even playing 40 card decks in Live server is not too bad. Think of it as practice against someone playing a 40 card deck but having better chances of getting a perfect draw.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What I love about an increase from 30 to 40 cards is that it decreases the probability of getting consistent cards, which in turn increases the amount of improvisation that needs to be done on the fly. And I think it's the improvisation factor that creates the difference in skill level amongst players.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I will point out though, that whenever we do officially move to 40-card decks as the standard minimum size, either in that same release or beforehand, somehow, Kyle/Calmdown et. al. simply *must* even out the current unilateral card draw mechanics that are available to only some heros. (Majiya's ability, Blood Frenzy, Wizent's Staff--literally anything that grants one player a significantly one-sided draw engine.)

Anyone who's been playing 40-card extensively will tell you that more than anything else, the most compelling mechanic in the 40-card environment is unilateral card draw. Majiya and Amber are especially strong in the 40-card because of this.

Granted, because there's more uncertainty in any 40-card deck, you can still win any one game against a well-built and well-played 40-card Majiya/Amber/Jericho, etc. even with an "inferior" deck. But if you're in it to win and you're playing the odds, then you have a much better chance of high overall win ratio by playing any deck that has a strong unilateral draw mechanic. The positive effect is *much* stronger in the 40-card environment than in the 30-card environment.

So somehow, these unilateral engines have to be toned down, or else all the other heros must gain access to similar (not equal, but similar) unilateral draw to maintain some degree of parity. If that doesn't happen before or at the same time that 40-card minimums go into effect on the live rated server, you're going to hear a mighty wailing from the general player population.
    Purveyor of Probability - Team A1 - How the rating system works and why high ratings act strangely
    I now play only unrated matches in the Shadow Era 40 Card Ladder at shadowera dot gondorian dot com slash ladder40
    If my IRC nick says shannong|L40 that means I'm open for a Ladder40 challenge. I'll take all comers no matter where you are on the ladder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think they're going in that direction anyway but I hope that they somehow make it unique to each type of hero. And although not each draw engine is currently consistent (WoTF, IGG, Serena's ability, etc), I hope they don't plan to make it so. I mean if every hero would have their own reliable draw engine, then who will use Bazaar which is available to all anyway?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +1
    for 40 cards minimum!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Finally an update I actually agree upon ... yes +1 , for 40 cards min.

1.27!!! its already taking enough time as is

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +1 for o/p!!
    InGame Names: Microwilly/Benumb

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by danae View Post
    I think they're going in that direction anyway but I hope that they somehow make it unique to each type of hero. And although not each draw engine is currently consistent (WoTF, IGG, Serena's ability, etc), I hope they don't plan to make it so. I mean if every hero would have their own reliable draw engine, then who will use Bazaar which is available to all anyway?
    I have to agree. Bazaar is currently very useful to lessen their card advantage in a way drawing 2 cards opposed to 3 is not nearly as bad as 1 compared to 2. Also it is just more interesting if each heroes draw engine has a unique flavor that fits the hero and that some classes would be better at it then others. (Like direct damage almost every class can do it just some better than others)