Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Excessive CPU usage of the 1.26 client

After I installed the 1.26 SE client on my machine i figured out that the application is consuming alot more of the CPU than the older version.

The 1.25 client stay at 0 or 1% when it is in side plane, but the 1.26 consumes 40~45% of my CPU even if i'm not playing.

The print screens below were made right after I loged in and at the world screen of the game, without starting any matches.

Client 1.25:

Client 1.26:

The computer I was using at the moment was a Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 2 GB Ram and GPU GForce FX5500. Windows XP Professional with SP2.

The game speed and responses are also a little slower at this version and now its kinda annoying to let the client running at the background and do another things on the computer because the client is slowing everything else down.

I know this computer is not particularly good and that you implemented alot of anti-cheat tests, but since the game was in a stand-by state it isn't suposed to use this amount of the CPU, and I think that if you're using the same code for the smartphones some people will have alot of trouble using it.

Anyone having the same problem or it is just me?
    Last edited by Giskard; 06-20-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In short, to reduce CPU utilization, reduce the graphics level on the PC/Mac client.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A couple of things. For the game speed, have you raised your game speed setting in the options menu yet? The update reverted it back to the default 2 setting. Bump it up to 4 and you should see a difference.

As for the CPU consumption, I'm not exactly sure how this thing works, but based on previous posts, it could have something to do with the unity engine. One thing that I noticed differently, which may or may not have something to do with this, is that the game is now able to run in the background. In v1.25, it just "pauses" the game until you go back into focus.

Edit: Ignore the 2nd paragraph. I was talking about playing the game on the browser. I haven't played it on the stand-alone client yet.
    Last edited by jiminee; 06-18-2011 at 12:26 AM. Reason: added edit comment

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAdolt View Post
    In short, to reduce CPU utilization, reduce the graphics level on the PC/Mac client.
    Also in both tests i was using 1280x960 and fastest grafic quality.

And again, since nothing was happening in the game screen it isn't suposed to require all this CPU usage, and if that was the problem, the 1.25 version would consume the same amount of my CPU because as far as I know nothing about the graphic effects changed.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think the problem is just that something about the game is inefficient or taking up a lot of resources. Not sure if it's the Unity engine, Kyle not having time at the moment to super optimize the code, or what, but it's pretty noticeable across platforms. I've noticed on my Android phone, the game runs mostly well, but can be a little sluggish when displaying the animations or when a match is first starting. Yet, my phone can run a full 3D game like Dungeon Defenders with absolutely no hint of framerate skips or other slowdowns. I'd expect this sort of thing to get better as Wulven hires in more coders and they start to get the time and resources to throw at it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by jiminee View Post
    A couple of things. For the game speed, have you raised your game speed setting in the options menu yet? The update reverted it back to the default 2 setting. Bump it up to 4 and you should see a difference.

As for the CPU consumption, I'm not exactly sure how this thing works, but based on previous posts, it could have something to do with the unity engine. One thing that I noticed differently, which may or may not have something to do with this, is that the game is now able to run in the background. In v1.25, it just "pauses" the game until you go back into focus.

Edit: Ignore the 2nd paragraph. I was talking about playing the game on the browser. I haven't played it on the stand-alone client yet.
    The speed slow I mentioned is while changing to different screens world->mercant->deck etc...

But yes, my speed was at 4 on both clients during my tests.

And if the engine did not changed from the 1.25 version it should have nothing to do with this

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaDucky View Post
    I think the problem is just that something about the game is inefficient or taking up a lot of resources. Not sure if it's the Unity engine, Kyle not having time at the moment to super optimize the code, or what, but it's pretty noticeable across platforms. I've noticed on my Android phone, the game runs mostly well, but can be a little sluggish when displaying the animations or when a match is first starting. Yet, my phone can run a full 3D game like Dungeon Defenders with absolutely no hint of framerate skips or other slowdowns. I'd expect this sort of thing to get better as Wulven hires in more coders and they start to get the time and resources to throw at it.
    You noticed this problem only now at 1.26 version or it was like that in the 1.25 too? (I dont know if it is already available for android)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    You noticed this problem only now at 1.26 version or it was like that in the 1.25 too? (I dont know if it is already available for android)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I was monitoring the v1.26 client on my computer just now and it never peters over 10% CPU utilization for me. That's with Fantastic graphics quality and 1600x900 windowed mode and some other stuff running. Tried a match with Majiya against the AI, threw a Fireball and Supernova and it still stayed normal.

I would suggest you ensure your drivers are up to date, particularly your video card driver. My computer's a bit faster than yours but your rig shouldn't—oh, I just notice you're running XP SP2. Yes sir, now would be the time to update, the last service pack is like 4 or something?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAdolt View Post
    I was monitoring the v1.26 client on my computer just now and it never peters over 10% CPU utilization for me. That's with Fantastic graphics quality and 1600x900 windowed mode and some other stuff running. Tried a match with Majiya against the AI, threw a Fireball and Supernova and it still stayed normal.

I would suggest you ensure your drivers are up to date, particularly your video card driver. My computer's a bit faster than yours but your rig shouldn't—oh, I just notice you're running XP SP2. Yes sir, now would be the time to update, the last service pack is like 4 or something?
    It isn't only about the CPU utilization, it's about the huge difference between the two clients, apparently you didn't bothered on reading the entire post, but it used to run very well at version 1.25.

And even considering that the new anti-cheat verifications made it increase the CPU utilization they are not suposed to be running while I'm not playing, thus my point is that it was suposed to consume the same amount of the older version while in stand-by.

My drivers are up to date, and the last windows XP service pack is SP3. If you read about it in the web you will find out that it usually brings more problems than it solves, and one more time, I have no problem with the 1.25 in this same computer, I dont think that the missing SP3 packet would make it slower only at the 1.26 version.

-EDIT-
    I posted it more to know if anyone else is having the same problem, and AnAdolt, if the 1.25 version run consuming 0% of your CPU you have it, it is only not noticeable because you have a good computer.

-EDIT2-
    The graphical effects are ok here too, fireball and supernova works the same on both versions, so it isn't related to the graphics.
    Last edited by Giskard; 06-18-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Okey, version 1.26 seriously drains out some CPU usage...
    Started the game and cpu is like 25%, editing deck went up to 50%, start a game and play for 5mins it went to 100% on my laptop and it over heats...
    This issue isn't present on the 1.25 version, I wonder what's wrong with the new version.