Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

List of abilities, conditions and basics about Shadow Era

I decided to write this guide for the new players, because I see many posts asking about some abilities.

Basics
    Attack: Every hero/ally can deal damage, equal to its attack value (left down corner of card), once per turn. Some cards, like Freeze, can prevent the ally from attacking for 1 or more turns. Other abilities, like Speedstrike, allow the hero to attack more than once per turn. ** Heroes have to be equipped with a weapon to get an attack value. **
    -->Base Attack: The attack value that is displayed on each card. Several ally & class abilities can increase or decrease the base attack (Aldon increases the base attack value of your allies by 1).

Defend: If an ally is dealt combat damage and isn't killed, it can counterattack.

Combat damage: Damage dealt by allies or heroes when they use the attack button. Damage from other sources (Ability cards or ally abilities) is not considered combat damage. Melee (right now) is another name for combat damage.

Shadow Energy(SE): All heroes gain 1 shadow energy per turn. The energy allows them to use abilities and the amount required is shown in a purple circle. Some weapons and armors give access to new abilities (like Wizent's Staff). The player going first will receive his first Shadow Energy point in his second turn (to compensate the advantage of starting first). The one who goes 2nd will receive SE immediately.

Resources: Players can sacrifice a card at the sacrifice step of their turn, to increase the number of resources. Each card in Shadow Era requires a number of resources, and used resources are not destroyed, but are available again at the beginning of the player's next turn. The number of resources each card requires is visible at the top left corner of the card. Some allies require resources to use their special abilities, and that number is shown in a black circle.

Unique Cards: If a card has the "unique" keyword, then the player cannot have more than one copy of the card in play. Allies who are unique display this keyword next to their faction/race and type. All items in Shadow Era are unique (the unique keyword is not displayed on item cards), so a player cannot have more than 1 in play. However, there can be 2 copies of a unique card in play if they belong to different players.

Ally Abilities
    Ambush: Attacks from allies who have this ability cannot be defended. Because of that, attacks with ambush don't reduce durability of weapons, since the enemy hero can't defend.

Defender: The ally with this ability deals damage first when defending, instead of dealing damage only if it survives.

Haste: The ally can attack in the turn he is summoned.

Protector: While you control an ally with Protector, all other allies you control without Protector, cannot be targeted. If you control 2 or more allies with protector, the enemy can target any of them. Your hero is not protected anymore and can be attacked

Stealth: Allies with this ability cannot be attacked. They can be targeted by ability cards or ally abilities. If the enemy ally/hero is not killed they will still counterattack.

Stoneskin (as seen in Infernal Gargoyle): Damage received is reduced by 1.

Status Effects/Conditions
    Disabled (as seen in Freeze): The disabled ally cannot attack, defend or use abilities.

Distracted: The ally cannot attack, but he can defend and use abilities.

Exhausted: The ally/hero cannot attack or use abilities, but he can still defend. Attacks cause the allies/heroes to become exhausted. An ally who uses his ability does not become exhausted, so he can still attack. However, he cannot use the ability after he attacks.

Stoned (as seen in Medusil): The stoned ally cannot defend. (Hopefully it wil change to Petrified)

Weapons/Armors
    Only heroes can equip weapons and armors. Only one weapon and one armor can be equiped. If a hero tries to play a second weapon, the first is destroyed. The same applies to armors.

Weapons: They offer heroes(who have 0 attack by default) an attack value, so they can attack and defend. The bottom left number (sword/bow icon) is the attack value. The bottom right number (anvil icon) is the durability, which is the number of attacks the weapon allows before it is destroyed. (When a hero defends it counts as an attack.)

Armors: They offer heroes damage reduction from attacks. The bottom right number (shield icon) is the damage absorbed by the armor. The bottom left number is the durability, which is the number of attacks the armor can take before it is destroyed.

Every weapon and armor can be used by 1 or 2 classes. You can see which class can use a weapon or armor by checking the small square icon(s) on the top right corner of the card. The Warrior, Mage and Hunter classes are available to both Humans and Shadow. The Priest and Rogue are only Human classes, while Elemental and Wulven are only shadow classes. Below you can view those icons and which class each represents.

: Warrior, : Mage, : Hunter

: Priest, : Rogue

: Wulven, : Elemental

*** Important ***: Harmful abilities/effects, like dealing damage or disabling allies, can only target enemy cards, even if the ability does not mention it affects "enemy" targets. Few exception to this rule, like Retreat which can target friendly allies as well.

**Note**
    I will try to update the list if any changes take place, but feel free to sticky this or even use it if any player creates a more detailed list.

Special Thanks to Jaridan, Pretty Pretty Princess, Fiend, danae for the feedback they provided in order to improve the list.
    Last edited by Anurak; 12-08-2011 at 06:33 PM.
    "In order to survive, we cling to all we know and understand. And we label it reality."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Nice list.... Well done.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks, this will help a lot of people.

Senior Member Pretty Pretty Princess's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    "How do weapons and armor work?" ^.~
    ~PrettyPrettyPrincess~
    v^.^
    Current deck build: Pending Release of Dark Prophecies...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    "What can i do if i get my ass kicked???"
    BACK (well, i try )
    Overlord of Darkness

A1:
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....e-Padawan-Pete

Marksmen:
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....nters-Marksmen

Ingame-Names: CHILLABREAKA = test account and CHLBRK = rating account

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    After PPP asked an obvious question (for a new player), I decided to add more information to the list. If you notice any spelling mistakes or inaccurate information, please post, so I can fix it. I was out last night and my brain is working at 1% at the moment.
    "In order to survive, we cling to all we know and understand. And we label it reality."

DP Visionary
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Anurak View Post
    Frozen (as seen in Freeze): The frozen ally cannot attack or defend.

Webbed (as seen in Clinging Webs): The webbed ally cannot attack or defend.
    Why do we have two names for what are exactly the same thing? I can understand card art and all but really there should be one name for the same effect regardless.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sticky please.
    Coder of the Night -- A1 : Evolution in Theory

Member of the Player's Focus Group 1

My Decks:
    -------------

My Articles:
    My Strategy articles compilation

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Very nice! Thanks for doing this.

Senior Member Pretty Pretty Princess's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedjet View Post
    Why do we have two names for what are exactly the same thing? I can understand card art and all but really there should be one name for the same effect regardless.
    They're not the same thing. They have different durations.
    There are many cards with similar effects and the developers decided to give each one a separate animation. It serves to give each class an extra level of visual identity.

Anurak: can you clarify the you can play both a weapon and an armor, but only one of each?
    ~PrettyPrettyPrincess~
    v^.^
    Current deck build: Pending Release of Dark Prophecies...