Close

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Design Workbench: Darkclaw

For those of you who haven't seen it, the current proposed change for Darkclaw in 1.26 is:

"When Darkclaw deals damage to an ally, the opposing hero takes 1 damage."

Now, a lot of people don't like this. Some people do like it and think it's underpowered. Some people threw their monitors out of the window upon hearing that Darkclaw would now take full damage from allies.

So, put your suggestions for Darkclaw here, and/or discuss your feelings on his current state and his (potential) new abilities here.

As a guide, here's what I think Darkclaw's ability (note: NOT other Wulven cards - just Darkclaw!) could emphasise or use:

Ferocity and Savagery (increased damage in some way)
    Pack Mentality and Tactics (ally buffing/helping)
    Fear and Intimidation (howling wolves are scary...)
    Toughness or Regeneration (Werewolves = hard to kill)
    Last edited by Calmdown; 05-16-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Calmdown * Shadow Era Designer * Logan Stonebreaker & Brutal Minotaur Fan Club

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The proposed new hero is not Darkclaw - it's an imposter in a Darkclaw suit. It's the New Coke of SE. I would be cool with it becoming a 3rd wulven hero. Then we could think about sprucing up Darkclaw, perhaps heading back in the 1.23 direction. I've spent two months being Darkclaw and seeing this come to an end is discouraging.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What about something like... Darkclaw - You can have up to 8 Pack Wolfs in your deck. While Darkclaws health is below 15 he regenerates 1 per turn.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like the new Darkclaw ability, but I don't have any sense of how good it is. It will be nice on defense. Maybe if "What big teeth" can't be targeted or can be recovered somehow?

I'm not attached to the traditional Darkclaw for a couple of reasons. Any change will make someone unhappy.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm not particularily a Wulven fan. I didn't mind Darkclaw's initial power (when the damage was rounded down), even if it could be a pain to beat sometimes, and I don't mind your suggested power.

With that said, your theme guide somewhat intrigued me. Well, the fear and intimidation part did. So it got me thinking, how could such a theme be implemented? My first thought was that enemies cannot defend against Darkclaw, but that would have to be a passive power (as it would be quite weak if it was a power using Shadow Energy), and passives are pretty boring.

Damage reduction was the next thought (can't fight to the best of your ability if you're shaking from fear!), but that would just be the same old Darkclaw.

So how else can fear and intimidation be portrayed? I the came up with the following:

4 SE: Return target opposing ally to its owner's hand.

Not exactly offensive in itself, but it helps with board control so that you can be offensive.
    Last edited by Ice; 05-16-2011 at 07:20 PM.
    Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke

Let it be known that Majiya is my favorite hero.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringel View Post
    Any change will make someone unhappy.
    Why would anyone be unhappy with the availability of a 3rd wulven hero?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bob21218 View Post
    The proposed new hero is not Darkclaw - it's an imposter in a Darkclaw suit. It's the New Coke of SE. I would be cool with it becoming a 3rd wulven hero. Then we could think about sprucing up Darkclaw, perhaps heading back in the 1.23 direction. I've spent two months being Darkclaw and seeing this come to an end is discouraging.
    That's a fair point. Having your fluff dragged out from under you by a game designer trying to balance something is unpleasant. You just changed my attitude in 5 sentences.

OP edited.
    Calmdown * Shadow Era Designer * Logan Stonebreaker & Brutal Minotaur Fan Club

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I'm not particularily a Wulven fan. I didn't mind Darkclaw's initial power (when the damage was rounded down), even if it could be a pain to beat sometimes, and I don't mind your suggested power.

With that said, your theme guide somewhat intrigued me. Well, the fear and intimidation part did. So it got me thinking, how could such a theme be implemented? My first thought was that enemies cannot defend against Darkclaw, but that would have to be a passive power (as it would be quite weak if it was a power using Shadow Energy), and passives are pretty boring.

Damage reduction was the next thought (can't fight to the best of your ability if you're shaking from fear!), but that would just be the same old Darkclaw.

So how else can fear and intimidation be portrayed? I the came up with the following:

4 SE: Return target opposing ally to its owner's hand.

Not exactly offensive in itself, but it helps with board control so that you can be offensive.
    I actually like the idea of Darkclaws attacks can't be defended against.. But that's ambush... A rogue trait. I think that passive is jut all around good.

Maybe something like.. When Darkclaw deals damage to an enemy that enemy cannot attack for 1 turn. But maybe that would be over powered? When an opposing ally enters play it's frozen in fear for 2 turns?

Edit: When an ally deals damage to Darkclaw it is returned to it's owners hand.
    Last edited by Drakkon; 05-16-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Darkclaw
    SE 4: steal 2 health from all enemy allies

basically a lifetap that is increasing better the more enemy allies are out. It deals damage and goes along with the regenerative health theme. it could synergize with captured prey as well.

a variation could be:
    SE4: steal 2 life from every selected target, making your own allies options for stealing health as well.

I think either way would be effective and might make me want to play darkclaw as well
    Zhanna 135-1 Deck
    Member of A1

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Boo for passives. They get no love from me.

Anyway, thinking about it, I remembered Human heroes have Retreat, so the power I suggested wouldn't exactly be unique (though it would be for Shadow decks).

You mean a passive power that freezes all opposing allies for two turns when they enter play? Don't think that's a very good idea, to be honest.
    How about a power that freezes all opposing allies currently in play instead? More interesting than a passive power, at least.
    Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke

Let it be known that Majiya is my favorite hero.