Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

BT Mojorge's 2nd place 2021 WC deck lists

First of all, big congrats to Tommy for his well deserved WC victory. Following his example of posting his deck lists, I thought I'd share mine.

Deck Selection Strategy: I had a really hard time choosing decks, and I settled on my lineup less than 24 hours before the deadline. Special shoutout to BT Sigismund, BT Meth, SK Trinolcour, and TJ Scout for helping me choose my decks.

Aldreides Gravebone: I got 3rd in PT Finals and 2nd in the America Regionals with this deck, and so I was really confident about piloting it and playing it well. I felt that this deck goes second very comfortably as it can consistently pull off a T4 Aldreides on the field, which is really OP, so I brought this deck with the intention of bringing it going second.

Gwen: I needed an aggressive deck to bring going first, and I settled on Gwen because I knew items like Aural Battery, Wizent's Staff, and Heavy Ballista would be very common. For that reason, I figured that Weevil would be a great counter to these common decks. The one issue with Gwen is that Gwen struggles a lot against fatties like Aldreides the Aged. I opted to tech in Rolling Boulders (thanks to SK Trinolcour for this suggestion) because it can return Aldreides to the hand even if it is summoned from the grave via Gravebone.

Turbo Skervox: I really enjoy the playstyle and figured the non-targeting hero ability could help deal with Aldreides and any ally-based strategy.

Zhanna (Day 2 only deck): Tidal wave could deal with Aldreides as it doesn't target, and Zhanna has pretty even MU's vs everything.

Logan (considered but didn't bring): I heavily tested Logan because I thought he could be a real underdog in a fatty-heavy meta. Unfortunately, I found that Logan wasn't even that great against some of the more prominent fatties such as Aldreides and Barrabus due their SE drain abilities.

Bloodfang (considered but didn't bring): I love Bloodfang, but ultimately couldn't justify bringing it because it has similar weaknesses to Gravebone who I was already bringing, and I wanted more diversity in my lineup.

Zaladar (considered but didn't bring): The version I was considering used the Crypt Golem Infinity Core combo, but I found that it was a little too inconsistent and slow.

Hero: Gravebone (49 cards)

Ally (20):
    2x Aldmor Interceptor
    4x Darklight Apprentice
    4x Brimstone Devourer
    4x Aldmor Artisan
    2x Aldmor Chieftan
    4x Aldreides the Aged

Ability (10):
    2x Shadow Font
    4x Shadowbolt
    4x Supernova

Item (15):
    2x Crypt Golem
    4x Mending Golem
    4x Amulet of Conjuring
    1x Aldmor Accelerator
    1x Disruptor Field
    2x Rejuvenation Pod
    1x Shadow Cannon

Location (3):
    3x The Wilds: Trading Port

Deck Code: 1174276B

Note: I get a lot of comments regarding The Wilds: Trading Port. I view it as an anti-location tech (locations are naturally anti-location ) that is still useable against anything in the right situation.

Hero: Skervox (50 cards)

Ally (32):
    4x Fire Snake
    4x Deathbone
    4x Twisted Familiar
    2x Krugal Braggart
    2x Death Mage Thaddeus
    4x Rampant Krygon
    4x Brimstone Devourer
    4x Belladonna
    4x Falseblood Cultist

Ability (12):
    4x Bad Santa
    4x Anmor's Call
    4x Overwhelm

Item (5):
    2x Augmenting Golem
    3x Wrath of the Forest

Deck Code: 583913B

Hero: Gwenneth Truesight (40 cards)

Ally (23):
    4x Ascetic of Aldmor
    2x Dirk Saber
    3x Midnight Sentinel
    4x Aldon the Brave
    4x Layarian Seductress
    4x Snowland Spotter
    2x Viska, The Scarlet Blade

Ability (7):
    3x Bad Santa
    4x Hunter's Gambit

Item (9):
    2x Rolling Boulders
    4x Weevil-tipped Crossbow
    3x Soul Seeker

Deck Code: 482947B

Hero: Zhanna Mist (45 cards)

Ally (25):
    4x Twilight Opportunist
    4x Devoted Knight
    3x Tainted Oracle
    4x Knight of the Crimson Dusk
    3x Viska, The Scarlet Blade
    1x Nathanias, People's Champion
    2x Aldreides the Aged
    2x Adlard the Just
    2x Kion the Magnificent

Ability (11):
    1x Healing Touch
    4x Focused Prayer
    1x Resurrection
    4x Tidal Wave
    1x Mass Purification

Item (8):
    2x Book of Curses
    4x Wizent's Staff
    2x The King's Pride

Deck Code: 1153717B

Take aways: The WC meta turned out to be heavily unfavored for Gravebone, and I was constantly running into bad MUs. It felt like every deck had contingency plans for Aldreides, and so I really struggled with this deck. On top of that, the bug-fix/nerf to Aldreides that makes him not drain 1 SE when summoned via Gravebone really hurt as well. Gwen turned out to be pretty decent, although I unfortunately never really used Rolling Boulders. I was able to win a few crucial games with Zhanna, but overall I was pretty sloppy when throwing together my list and I think my inexperience with priests shows there. Skervox was the MVP for me. It had access to non-targeting board clears through its ability and Overwhelm. It also could hold its own against anything that dealt ability damage with Twisted Familiar. Definitely the best deck out of the 4 I brought.

Video of the finals from my perspective: https://youtu.be/tVZIEqtpVVw
    Black Templars - No Remorse, No Fear, No Pity.
    http://www.blacktemplars.org/

I'm a game designer and blogger. Check out my blog:
    www.jorgezhang.com

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Great work!

I enjoyed a lot the video with the play and strategies explanations, super interesting!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well done and thanks for sharing