Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Writeup on my WC 2021 winning lineup

Hello everyone, i'm SET tommytpr and i decided to do a writeup on my WC 2021 winning lineup.

First of all i wanna apologize for my poor English, i'm not native english speaking and i might do some grammar mistakes.

The Format

WC 2021 Format was a bo3 with 3 decks for day 1 and a bo5 with 4 decks for day 2, deck that wins can't be used again in the same match.
    When i first rode the format i thought that was very similiar to the Conquest format, a format that i know very well since i came from HS, but since you had an extra deck that didn't required the win [bo3 with 3 decks and bo5 with 4 decks] it wasn't possible to target a single deck (the most expected) to not let it win. With not having a possibility to target a single deck i decided to play 4 solid decks with less techs possible and everyone with a role in the lineup, an fta deck, a going-second deck and an opener deck, plus a deck that fits well my counters for day 2. The fta deck choice was simple, i opted for Aggro Loest cause it's an absolute monster deck with fta and it beats most of the slow decks that usually are played on the going-second match. Another reason to bring an aggressive mage was that i wasn't expecting many rogues and hunters with Spelleater Bands, so i didn't needed to tech Ley Line Nexus. My opener deck was Ter Adun, my favorite deck since i started playing, and it was a good counter to the meta having good matchups vs most of the control decks and putting a lock into the item/weapon decks. Since i had Loest and Ter Adun in the lineup i decided to opt for Baduruu as my going-second deck. I was expecting many Zaladars and Bloodfangs and Baduruu (RD) was doing well in my testing againist both. The role of Baduruu was mostly to keep on check those 2 heroes cause the mindgames role was very important in this multi-deck format, in fact i only played one game of Baduruu in my WC day 1. As last deck choice i decided to bring a standard control Zhanna cause i was expecting more aggro/tempo decks for day 2 and i wanted a control deck in.

The Decklists

Hero: Loest, Savior of Layar (40 cards)

Ally (21):
    4x Kristoffer Wyld
    4x Dirk Saber
    4x Cinderborn Fatebreaker
    3x Aldon the Brave
    4x Priest of the Light
    2x Tainted Oracle

Ability (15):
    4x Bad Santa
    4x Fireball
    4x Lightning Strike
    3x Supernova

Item (3):
    3x Tome of Knowledge

Deck Code: 1026630C

Loest score was 8-0, the real MVP of my tournament. Decklist is very standard, i decided to play 4x Priest of the Light cause in this meta SE was very important and a turn 3 PotL can outtempo most of the decks. No LLN cause i wasn't expecting many Bands (and i already have my hero ability for it). Tainted Oracle was a good card in testing (over amulet) and i'm happy with that choice. Tempest Runebearer was another card i considered, but i decided to not play it cause my deck was all about burn and not about board control and rune wasn't good after turn 3.

Hero: Ter Adun (40 cards)

Ally (10):
    4x Spitfire Hound
    4x Ravager Zealot
    2x Brakkong, Menace of Thriss

Ability (10):
    3x Lythian Shackles
    2x Bad Santa
    4x Blood Frenzy
    1x Enrage

Item (18):
    2x Obelisk of Echoes
    2x Crown of Ages
    4x Chaos Engine
    4x Thriss Assault Plinth
    4x Thriss Crucible
    2x Dragon's Tooth

Location (1):
    1x Shold: Tempest Gorge

Deck Code: 733454B

Ter Adun score was 6-2. After dropping 2 games in my first match of the WC against A1 SamIamIam, Ter started performing pretty well. The decklist is exactly the same i used to win the June 2021 Rated Season with only 1 card difference (-1x Shold, +1 Obelisk). I always liked more this combo version of Ter over a more controllish one with Brutes, Barrabus and Yahari Location cause i like to play very aggressive this deck and to setup an easy 2-turn lethal. I added a second copy of Obelisk for mirrors and Vess matchups (i expected more Vess in the WC) and with not many locations/locations counters around i thought that just one Shold was enough to beat control decks. A standard double copy of DT was needed for BF and GB but the matchup was already good and i didn't teched any Yari Plunderer. Overall this deck can beat any deck with the right setup and with no many aggro decks around was a monster.

Hero: Baduruu (40 cards)

Ally (15):
    4x Frostflame Harpy
    3x Death Mage Thaddeus
    3x Deepwood Bobcat
    4x Snowland Spotter
    1x Drangis, Lord of the Hunt

Ability (10):
    1x Shriek of Vengeance
    4x Here Be Monsters
    4x Hunter's Gambit
    1x Ley Line Nexus

Item (14):
    2x Snare Trap
    3x Camouflaged Foe
    1x Night Prowler
    2x Soul Seeker
    3x Grundler's Double
    3x Emore Crossbow

Deck Code: 564104C

Baduruu score was 3-0. I have to give to SET Atlas the credits about this deck, it was inspired by his decklist. Just a standard HBM Baduruu with strong shadow allies and good traps. Drangis and Prowler are the two main win conditions, combined with the tempo gain of the traps and HBM. Shriek of Vengeance was needed to counter some cheap armor/weapons and some annoying draw engines and LLN is a staple armor removal (mostly here for TKP and possible freeze armor). This deck was here to beat BF, Zaladar and aggro mages.

Hero: Zhanna Mist (40 cards)

Ally (20):
    2x Aldmor Interceptor
    4x Devoted Knight
    3x Tainted Oracle
    4x Knight of the Crimson Dusk
    1x Aeon Stormcaller
    2x Viska, The Scarlet Blade
    2x Aldreides the Aged
    2x Adlard the Just

Ability (10):
    4x Focused Prayer
    1x Resurrection
    4x Tidal Wave
    1x Mass Purification

Item (9):
    2x Glass Chalice of Knowing
    2x Book of Curses
    3x Wizent's Staff
    2x The King's Pride

Deck Code: 473516B

Zhanna score was 1-1. Standard control Zhanna with as less fatties as possible to keep consistency vs Aggressive decks. I thought that many players could have added a more aggressive option for day 2 and with Loest and Ter in lineup i really needed something to counter them. I just teched a Resurrection in case of control matchups cause i still wanted to keep the deck at 40 cards. Aldreides over Kion cause it's better vs mages and especially Zaladars. I opted for a 3-3-2 draw engines (Oracle, Staff, Glass) over the standard 4-4 cause Glass was a better card vs Aggressive decks (drawing without losing the tempo/turn to play other cards).

Why all decks are 40 cards?

That's my ''feticism''. In every cardgame i played i always wanted to maximize my odds in the opening hand and in consistency overall and i always kept the minimum cards size and the less ''greedy'' cards possible.
    That's the best strategy in SE?
    I don't know, i'm not saying that cause SE actually offers a lot of card draws and with no max-Resources limit can offer a lot with larger decks as well, but i can't change my mind on that.

My Thoughts

First of all i wanna thanks all my guild, SET, for always be supportive for me and for the help during all the WC tournament, i really couldn't have won without all of you. Special thanks to SET Kass for introducing me in SET and in the competitive aspect of SE and to SET Atlas for the help in the preparation for the tournament.
    About the WC format, i actually enjoyed it. There were many choices during the games and for the building of the lineup.
    This was my first competitive year of SE and i really enjoyed this time thanks to the community that was always nice with me, looking forward to defend the title next year!
    Last edited by tommytpr; 02-27-2022 at 02:09 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well done and nice write up. I didn't realize it was your first year playing competitively haha. It is impressive that you already mastered many different decks in a short time.
    Black Templars - No Remorse, No Fear, No Pity.
    http://www.blacktemplars.org/

I'm a game designer and blogger. Check out my blog:
    www.jorgezhang.com

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good having a clear register of what happened.
    Congratulations again!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Btw, Kyle shared a video of the finals in the WC thread, you could link it to this thread.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by mojorge View Post
    Well done and nice write up. I didn't realize it was your first year playing competitively haha. It is impressive that you already mastered many different decks in a short time.
    Thanks! Yeah my first year in SE, but having a background in card games really helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by SET Colosal View Post
    Good having a clear register of what happened.
    Congratulations again!
    Thanks Colly!! I might add the video here as well you right!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    congrats!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by tolerance View Post
    congrats!
    Thanks!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Finally a world champ who believes in consistency over tech. Many congrats tommy, knew you were a world champ material.
    IGN: TJ Scout
    Telegram: @shubham1309

"Scout is a hacker we should report him" - SK Trinolcour

Team Juggernauts Recruitment Thread

Link to TJ forum
    IRC

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    Finally a world champ who believes in consistency over tech. Many congrats tommy, knew you were a world champ material.
    Thanks Scout!