Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Do classes feel unique?

I've said before that the classes seem a little unfocused. When a game like this comes out I expect someone to sit down and decide how many different decks the players will be able to choose from. Then to decide which abilities he will introduce to the players and distribute them to the available decks, so the game can offer many, different, but also unique options.

For example, in SE we have 7 classes and 10 decks (Cleric, Rogue, Elemental, Wulven and Mage, Warrior, Hunter as both shadow and human). Then decide on the abilities-mechanics. For example: Ally buff, Ally debuff, Card discarding, Card drawing, Direct damage, Haste, Life Gain/Regeneration, Damage reduction. Then distribute the mechanics among the available clases.
    (It took 5-10 minutes to do it, so don't take this too seriously. It's just to give an idea)

Ally buff: -> Warrior - Wulven - Cleric
    Ally debuff: -> Cleric - Rogue
    Card discarding: -> Rogue - Elemental
    Card drawing: -> Mage - Hunter - Warrior
    Direct damage: -> Mage - Rogue - Hunter
    Haste: -> Wulven - Hunter
    Life Gain/Regeneration: -> Cleric - Wulven - Elemental
    Damage reduction/prevent attack: -> Mage - Elemental - Warrior

With the introduction of some unique abilities to humans or shadow, we would have 10 sets of mechanics. This is for the first release. The second release could introduce some new abilities and give more abilities/class specific allies who stay in the general spirit of the class.

So far in SE, all classes, with the exception of Hunters and possibly Elementals (Energy Discharge can't target a single target) have direct damage, card drawing (some classes only with the aid of weapons/armors, but still..), and can prevent allies from attacking (Crippling Blow - Freeze/Clinging Webs - Net Trap - Captured Prey) Some suggestions for rogue are abilities that prevent enemies from attacking, so if one of those ισ chosen, add Rogue in the "prevent attack" club.

I just hope Calmdown and the others who are responsible for selecting/designing the rest of the cards will try to make each class feel more unique. This is my personal opinion, and I could be wrong, but after playing years MtG, I like the fact that Trample is 95% available to green, life gain is available to green/white or regeneration is available to green/black. Of course I've been away from MtG for a couple of years and things could have changed.

EDIT: For the distribution of the abilities to the classes, I wanted each class to have access to three mechanics, and the way I did it doesn't ensure they will have access to abilities they have now. As I said, I was trying to give 3 to each class.
    Last edited by Anurak; 05-17-2011 at 10:04 PM.
    "In order to survive, we cling to all we know and understand. And we label it reality."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think this is a very good idea, going into the future. Really deciding how each class is unique and pushing that in future card design. I think they have a good foundation for that now, though.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    The way things are ATM, all classes with card drawing engines will always have the upper hand over those that don't. Perhaps those that can steal cards may be a little bit competitive could stand a chance but being able to get an extra card per turn every turn is a real big boon. Yes Green has the majority of Tramplers, however each of the other colors have their own stuff to either prevent or not worry about it.
    Last edited by Sorter; 05-13-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    Guild: Marksmen
    "We are Hunters, and you are our prey.. Fear not the allies you can see. Fear only the arrow that will pierce through your hero.."

Check out my Videos post. I will be updating it once in a while. Bump it if you watched ^^.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorter View Post
    Yes Green mas the majority of Tramplers, however each of the other colors have their own stuff to either prevent or not worry about it.
    Exactly. If an ability is overpowered, add a drawback. High cost, taking damage, discarding 1 or more of your cards, sacrificing allies/items... can be used to balance abilities. Just give different abilities to the classes.
    "In order to survive, we cling to all we know and understand. And we label it reality."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anurak View Post
    Exactly. If an ability is overpowered, add a drawback. High cost, taking damage, discarding 1 or more of your cards, sacrificing allies/items... can be used to balance abilities. Just give different abilities to the classes.
    I agree with you. However there are some cards for some classes that are just not following this concept. For example, and not wanting to pick on them just want to get my point across, Blood Frenzy an EXACT copy of MtG's Phyrexian Arena. I say if it will be copied anyway at least don't bend the card. Arena was a 3CC Enchantment, so as a bare minimum BF should be 3CC.
    Guild: Marksmen
    "We are Hunters, and you are our prey.. Fear not the allies you can see. Fear only the arrow that will pierce through your hero.."

Check out my Videos post. I will be updating it once in a while. Bump it if you watched ^^.