Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lightbulb Some card ideas for the next set

I posted these in the card suggestion sticky, but I’d like to discuss some of these, if you think they have promise, or would be OP, etc. Some I’ve suggested in the past, but the meta is always changing, and what wasn’t a good idea then may be now!

Raxos, Scourge of Raksul
    Shadow Ally - Unique [L]
    Cost: (6)
    Attack: 3 (sword attack)
    Health: 6
    Steadfast; When Raxos enters play, your hero gains 1 Shadow Energy. When Raxos is placed into your graveyard from anywhere, draw a card.

(This means that if either Raxos is killed, or if he is discarded from somewhere into the graveyard, the cantrip ability would trigger.)

Thriss Malefactor
    Shadow Ally - Ravager [R]
    Cost: (4)
    Attack: 2 (sword attack)
    When Thriss Malefactor is summoned, target item loses 1 durability.
    Whenever an item loses durability, all allies take 1 damage.
    (1): Target item loses 1 durability

Thriss Channeler
    Shadow Ally - Ravager [C]
    When Thriss Channeler enters play, target item loses 1 durability.
    Whenever an item loses durability, all friendly heroes and Ravager allies heal 1 damage.

Overload
    Elemental Ability - Attachment [C]
    Cost: (3)
    Attach to target damaged friendly ally until the end of your turn. That ally gains +4 attack and is killed after it deals combat damage.

Eradicate
    Neutral Ability [R]
    Target enemy ally and all allies sharing that ally's alignment are killed. Draw a card.

(For instance, targeting an Armored Packbeast would kill it and all homunculi on the board; targeting and killing a Guardian of Unaxio would also kill all Templars, etc.)

Reap the Wilds
    Hunter Ability [C]
    One of your resources is destroyed: Your hero heals X damage, where X is the number of resources you control.

Seeds of Ruin
    Hunter Ability - Support [U]
    Duration 1 - At the beginning of each player’s turn, the ally with the lowest health that player controls is killed.
    If a an ally is not killed in this way, that player’s hero takes 1 damage and one of that player’s resources is destroyed.

Spore Bomb
    Hunter Item - Trap [C]
    Cost: (2)
    When your hero is attacked by an opposing ally, that ally and all adjacent allies are poisoned.

Gift of the Forest
    Hunter Item - Trap (Unique) [R]
    If you control Gift of the Forest and it is a Trap at the beginning of your turn, it becomes a weapon with Attack 3, Durability 1, and bow attack type. Gift of the Forest cannot gain durability.

Plague Mine
    Shadow Item - Artifact [U]
    Durability: 3
    (1): Deal 1 damage to all allies and players; Plague Mine loses 1 durability. Activating this ability does not exhaust Plague Mine.

Tainted Stores
    Rogue Item - Artifact [C]
    Durability: 1
    (1D): All enemy allies are poisoned.
    Once per turn, when a poisoned opposing ally is killed, Tainted Stores gains 1 durability.

Last edited by BlanketEffect; 12-27-2020 at 07:48 AM.
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My opinions in blue:

Raxos, Scourge of Raksul
    Shadow Ally - Unique [L]
    Steadfast; When Raxos enters play, your hero gains 1 Shadow Energy. When Raxos is placed into your graveyard from anywhere, draw a card.

Seems neat. Can't really get rid of him without killing him, and stuff that lets you draw on death is always nice. Could maybe have an activated ability of some sort if a bit more were needed.

Thriss Malefactor

Thriss Channeler
    Whenever an item loses durability, all friendly heroes and Ravager allies heal 1 damage.

Both seem fun enough, although I'm not sure the need to have both such similar allies. Could maybe be combined into one ally.

Overload
    Attach to target damaged friendly ally until the end of your turn. That ally gains +4 attack and is killed after it deals combat damage.

Seems fair enough. Boosts an ally by quite a bit for pretty cheap, but ally does die and has to be damaged to begin with, so seems cool.

Eradicate
    Neutral Ability [R]
    Target enemy ally and all allies sharing that ally's alignment are killed. Draw a card.

I like the idea of specific anti-tribal stuff, although I actually feel that it should be on the cheaper end cost-wise, due to the fact that not every deck is tribe-based. At 6cc this would be one hella dead dra of w against a non-tribal deck.

Reap the Wilds
    Hunter Ability [C]
    One of your resources is destroyed: Your hero heals X damage, where X is the number of resources you control.

Could potentially be massively strong for Bounty Hunter/Anmor's Call Hunter decks.

Seeds of Ruin
    Duration 1 - At the beginning of each player’s turn, the ally with the lowest health that player controls is killed.
    If an ally is not killed in this way, that player’s hero takes 1 damage and one of that player’s resources is destroyed.

Not sure I like this one all that much. 4cc to kill your opponent's weakest (probably) ally as well as your own? Not sure it's worth it, unless I'm missing something. Also doesn't feel very Hunter-like.

Spore Bomb
    Hunter Item - Trap [C]
    When your hero is attacked by an opposing ally, that ally and all adjacent allies are poisoned.

Seems fun. Would be nice with more future poison support.

Gift of the Forest
    If you control Gift of the Forest and it is a Trap at the beginning of your turn, it becomes a weapon with Attack 3, Durability 1, and bow attack type.

Seems fun just to confuse your opponent with a 2cc trap that automatically becomes a weapon when they think it might be a different trap.

Plague Mine
    (1): Deal 1 damage to all allies and players; Plague Mine loses 1 durability. Activating this ability does not exhaust Plague Mine.

5cc total for 3 damage to everything? Seems fine.

Tainted Stores
    Once per turn, when a poisoned opposing ally is killed, Tainted Stores gains 1 durability.

Seems neat. Poison everything and gain durability when said poisoned allies die. Of course only starts with 1D, so either would have to give it extra durability, or another copy played later.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My responses in red:

Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    My opinions in blue:

Raxos, Scourge of Raksul
    Shadow Ally - Unique [L]

Seems neat. Can't really get rid of him without killing him, and stuff that lets you draw on death is always nice. Could maybe have an activated ability of some sort if a bit more were needed.

He feels like he’d have a good place in Gravebone. Good to discard with Falseblood Cultist, good to reanimate with Gravebone because he’s a sticky body and you’ll get to draw a card again when he gets killed, plus having Steadfast, he’s probably never going to get exiled, and so he’ll always be in your graveyard to pull out again with Gravebone’s ability.

Thriss Malefactor

Thriss Channeler

Both seem fun enough, although I'm not sure the need to have both such similar allies. Could maybe be combined into one ally.

Hmm. Maybe a version who heals your side for 1 if the item belonged to your opponent and deals 1 damage to the opponent’s side if the item belonged to you. Blowing up your own stuff to damage opponent, versus plundering their stuff, helping your side. I like the concept, but it’s a lot of verbiage.

Thriss Malefactor
    Shadow Ally - Ravager
    Attack: 2
    If an item controlled by an opponent loses durability, all friendly Ravager allies and friendly heroes heal 1 damage.
    If an item you control loses durability, deal 1 damage to all opposing allies.

Overload

Seems fair enough. Boosts an ally by quite a bit for pretty cheap, but ally does die and has to be damaged to begin with, so seems cool.

Agreed. It doesn’t live long enough to be able to serve a second role after it’s dealt its damage. There are exceptions to this, of course - but generally, it’s like adding a Fireball to one of your damaged allies.

Eradicate
    Neutral Ability [R]

I like the idea of specific anti-tribal stuff, although I actually feel that it should be on the cheaper end cost-wise, due to the fact that not every deck is tribe-based. At 6cc this would be one hella dead dra of w against a non-tribal deck.

I agree and disagree with your critique. I think even as simple ally removal it’s not terrible. (6) to kill any ally and draw a card? It’s no Mind Control, but it’s pretty strong, all the same.

Reap the Wilds
    Hunter Ability [C]
    One of your resources is destroyed. Your hero heals X damage, where X is the number of resources you control.

Could potentially be massively strong for Bounty Hunter/Anmor's Call Hunter decks.

Ah yes, this is true. 10-12 point heals for (3) is no good, haha. Hmm.

Okay, same cost of (3).

One of your resources is destroyed. If an opposing player controls more resources than you, one of their resources is destroyed. You hero heals X damage, where X is equal to the number of resources all opposing players control.

Seeds of Ruin
    If an ally is not killed in this way, that player’s hero takes 1 damage and one of that player’s resources is destroyed.

Not sure I like this one all that much. 4cc to kill your opponent's weakest (probably) ally as well as your own? Not sure it's worth it, unless I'm missing something. Also doesn't feel very Hunter-like.

I was thinking sort of the same thing. It feels too strong for (3) because of the resource destruction ability. I was thinking of it in more these terms than as primarily used as an ally killer. However, if your opponent pops down one fatty, say Crimson Knight, this kills it promptly. For its dual-nature, making it less than (4) seemed too good. If not Hunter, then who? Priest? Could be interesting in that pool.

Spore Bomb
    Hunter Item - Trap [C]

Seems fun. Would be nice with more future poison support.

Yes, seemed like it could be good friends with Krugal Butcher.

Gift of the Forest
    If you control Gift of the Forest and it is a Trap at the beginning of your turn, it becomes a weapon with Attack 3, Durability 1, and bow attack type. Gift of the Forest cannot gain durability.

Seems fun just to confuse your opponent with a 2cc trap that automatically becomes a weapon when they think it might be a different trap.

I edited this one pre-emptively. I realized how abusable it would be by Gwen. Turn 2 Gift of the Forest, turn 3 hero ability, have a 5/3 bow. Solution? It can’t gain durability.

Plague Mine

5cc total for 3 damage to everything? Seems fine.

Yeah, the idea was to give every class/faction the ability to have a semi-wipe ability for the entire board. Like a mini-Supernova, but with the twist that you can split up the damage over multiple turns if you wanted, as a way to offset the fact that it IS (5) to deal 3 damage to everything.

Tainted Stores

Seems neat. Poison everything and gain durability when said poisoned allies die. Of course only starts with 1D, so either would have to give it extra durability, or another copy played later.

Or if you already had one ally poisoned, like via a Garth’s Concoction or Turncoat, etc.
    Last edited by BlanketEffect; 12-27-2020 at 08:35 AM.
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Raxos, Scourge of Raksul
    Shadow Ally - Unique [L]

(This means that if either Raxos is killed, or if he is discarded from somewhere into the graveyard, the cantrip ability would trigger.)

First impression is that it seems bit underpowered outside of Praxix mostly because the body doesn't do much on the board and there are more impactful stuff. That is why I don't think there is a need for it to be unique. In Praxix though free draw from his ability in combination with other discard synergies may make him too consistent. So draw would most likely need to be limited when entering GY from play or hand.

I woul also consider making it Undead for meme potential with Ghostmaker, Axiom, Forgotten Horror, Charred Cowl of the Damned, better synergy with Corpse Shifter.

Thriss Malefactor

Seems neat, combines all ravager themes into one ally. Gives self damage ravager decks a natural way to deal with items.

Thriss Channeler

Healing, however is definitely not in Ravager flavor.

Overload

Power Surge used to kill the ally and it didn't see serious play. It offered less attack, but far more easier to use and much more flexible. That + elementals having very few ways to damage their own allies would make this unplayable. Card imo makes more sense in Warrior (Vess + Burning Hatred or Flurry of Blows) or Wulvens (Gromm's Axe)

Eradicate
    Neutral Ability [R]

(For instance, targeting an Armored Packbeast would kill it and all homunculi on the board; targeting and killing a Guardian of Unaxio would also kill all Templars, etc.)

I am personally not a fan of neutral board wipes, because it negates class inherent weakness and overall makes them less unique. Beyond that this is one sided board for 1cc more than bilateral board wipe Tidal Wave, against tribal decks, so quite powerful tech card. And by just existing it limits viability of tribal themed decks.

Reap the Wilds
    Hunter Ability [C]

This is just flat out broken. Makes Bounty Hunter/Anmor's Call hunters unkillable.

Seeds of Ruin
    If a an ally is not killed in this way, that player’s hero takes 1 damage and one of that player’s resources is destroyed.

Again seems broken in ramp control hunters, easily 4 for 1 where 1 damage and 1 resource don't matter

Spore Bomb
    Hunter Item - Trap [C]

This one actually seems bit underpowered to me. You will rarely get the full value and even then it is just slower Ice Storm. There would need to be more poison pay off cards than just Butcher to include this card.

Gift of the Forest
    A trap to play mind games with your opponent with unique trigger condition is neat. Traps definitely need few of these as right now it is quite easy to guess which trap was played

Plague Mine

Neat control tool. Heroes that like to deal incremental amounts of damage like BB and Zal would love this.

[COLOR=#454545][FONT=UICTFontTextStyleBody]Tainted Stores

This one would depend if there is pay off card for having poisoned allies in play. Otherwise it is harder to use Evil Ascendant.
    Last edited by Veles; 12-28-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    Raxos, Scourge of Raksul
    Shadow Ally - Unique [L]

First impression is that it seems bit underpowered outside of Praxix mostly because the body doesn't do much on the board and there are more impactful stuff. That is why I don't think there is a need for it to be unique. In Praxix though free draw from his ability in combination with other discard synergies may make him too consistent. So draw would most likely need to be limited when entering GY from play or hand.

I woul also consider making it Undead for meme potential with Ghostmaker, Axiom, Forgotten Horror, Charred Cowl of the Damned, better synergy with Corpse Shifter.

Yes, I agree that he could be a useful addition to Undead. I don't know about limiting the cantrip effect, though. I see your point, however. See my response to Tman above regarding this card.

Thriss Channeler

Healing, however is definitely not in Ravager flavor.

Yes, I can see that being the case, you're right. I was thinking of him being something like a shaman, draining energy from items to channel it into healing. There's a revamp of him in my response to Tman, above, although the verbiage is a little lengthy.

Overload

Power Surge used to kill the ally and it didn't see serious play. It offered less attack, but far more easier to use and much more flexible. That + elementals having very few ways to damage their own allies would make this unplayable. Card imo makes more sense in Warrior (Vess + Burning Hatred or Flurry of Blows) or Wulvens (Gromm's Axe)

Good points

Eradicate
    Neutral Ability [R]

I am personally not a fan of neutral board wipes, because it negates class inherent weakness and overall makes them less unique. Beyond that this is one sided board for 1cc more than bilateral board wipe Tidal Wave, against tribal decks, so quite powerful tech card. And by just existing it limits viability of tribal themed decks.

Somewhat disagree. It's very expensive, and against any non-tribal deck it's almost always going to be a 1-ally kill.
    That said, how about:
    "Target enemy ally and any adjacent allies which share that ally's alignment are killed. Draw a card."

Reap the Wilds
    Hunter Ability [C]

This is just flat out broken. Makes Bounty Hunter/Anmor's Call hunters unkillable.

Agreed. See my revamp in the response to Tman, above.

Seeds of Ruin

Again seems broken in ramp control hunters, easily 4 for 1 where 1 damage and 1 resource don't matter

Agreed. See my revamp in the response to Tman, above.

Spore Bomb
    Hunter Item - Trap [C]

This one actually seems bit underpowered to me. You will rarely get the full value and even then it is just slower Ice Storm. There would need to be more poison pay off cards than just Butcher to include this card.

Agreed. But, remember, the idea here is that these would be part of the new set, and therefore there would be room to include other new cards that could synergize with the mechanic.

Tainted Stores

This one would depend if there is pay off card for having poisoned allies in play. Otherwise it is harder to use Evil Ascendant.

Harder to use Evil Ascendant which only affects your opponent's allies*.