Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lightbulb Change the AI decks to ones made by community

Been playing Campaign on and off, finished Easy mode, now doing Normal. Seems I keep finding more odd stuff. Not counting one of strangeness:
    - When playing Easy, most AI had 22 health and limited deck size but there were a few that started with cards on board before Turn 1.
    - Now on Normal most start with cards on board but at times I come across AI Heroes with none out.
    - Some decks having 5+ of any card.
    - Odd AI plays (Tidal Wave when no allies out, Rabid Bite on a Captured Prey ally, etc.).
    - AI decks are never shuffled, they top deck the same cards in the same order if you replay the same battle more than once.
    - Some of these Normal on board starts seem too strong. Yeah, I read topics where people say what cards to use to counter but having to change decks for each individual fight? I sorta dread what Hard looks like. I even got a full list of usual on board Normal starts, makes it easy to see how some are clearly stronger than others.

I am thinking Campaign should borrow an idea I saw in another game, let the community help design it by making the AI decks. This would avoid some of the Campaign issues and if you allow higher difficulty to use more sets, should not need cards on board like this:

Easy decks - CotC only
    Normal decks - CotC + DP maybe SF
    Hard - up to all sets

Higher difficulty would have access to larger card pool of good cards making that the challenge. Could be done in stages by class or Hero, might also be able to add AI decks for SF Heroes. Define deck size for each level. Community could easily avoid the 5+ card thing and skip using any of the bugged stuff while still making challenging decks.
    Last edited by Storknest; 11-12-2020 at 02:40 AM.
    There are times I'll make up words and slip them into conversations just to see if anyone is actually protempifying to what I'm saying. - I'm not normal

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    The first five levels of deck for COTC human heroes tell a story and are designed for beginners. (So I would not touch them.) The rest of their missions and all the Shadow hero ones could be adjusted based on community feedback if that actually served the game.

There is a trade-off between making the free Campaign so appealing that players don’t go to play PVP where an active playerbase matters and giving something that would otherwise mean people don’t play SE at all and therefore have no opportunity to spend money on it or maybe one day play PVP.

Do you play PVP?
    Have you spent any money?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Do you play PVP?
    Have you spent any money?
    Yes to both.

Thing is a problem I and others have seen in many online games is the PvE does not prepare someone for the PvP and it should.

PvE should be set up to condition you to the PvP conditions in part.

How does a Normal mode Boris with 2 free Blakes on board or a Logan with a free Minotaur help you learn what PvP will be like? No one gets that in PvP. Add in that all decks seem made only of CotC cards, in PvP even at low ranks you can run into people with cards from other sets.

Personally I would set up conditions for the community decks as I listed. Adding more sets at higher difficulty adds in a larger pool of stronger cards to make decks from to make the AI tougher while also getting players used to facing PvP opponents with those larger card pools, no on board start needed.

Plus the SF Heroes are not among the AI opponents but will be in the PvP.

Some of these Normal mode on board starts seem unbalanced anyway, I got a full list end number is total cards counting ones on board AI can use as early as T2:

Boris – 2 Blake Windrunnner 41
    Amber – Jeweler’s Dream 40
    Ter – Cobra Demon 40
    LoganBrutal Minotaur 40
    Victor – Death Trap, Battle Plans, Dirk Saber 43
    GwennethSoul Seeker 40
    BanebowPlasma Behemoth 40
    Baduruu – Guardian’s Oath 40
    NishavenDome of Energy 40
    EladwenDagger of Unmaking 40
    Majiya - Dagger of Unmaking 40
    Gravebone – Infernal Gargoyle, Deathbone 41
    JerichoMarshland Sentinel 40
    ZhannaArmored Sandworm 40
    DarkclawWhat Big Teeth 40
    Moonstalker – 2 Bad Wolf 41
    LanceErika Shadowhunter 40
    SerenaIll Gotten Gains, Night Prowler 41
    Elementalis - 2 Sparks 41
    Zaladar – 2 Sparks 41
    There are times I'll make up words and slip them into conversations just to see if anyone is actually protempifying to what I'm saying. - I'm not normal