Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Maybe the ratings aren't the problem

I just played a Jericho. On turn 5 he cast plague. Normal right?

I had Medusil, Medusil and Bella.

He had nothing.

He rage quit on his turn 6 with 1 resource, 1 card in hand and no creatures.

Maybe ratings aren't the big problem with this game. There are just too many bad players. And he was rated 139 so he had to have beaten someone.

-edit- Kyle, fix the damn 150 rating gap swing.
    Last edited by Killtrend; 05-13-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    3.5 "Gravebella Beatdown" || KillTrend's Live Commentary
    A1 Elder
    Ingame Handles: A1 Killtrend

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Killtrend View Post
    I just played a Jericho. On turn 5 he cast plague. Normal right?

I had Medusil, Medusil and Bella.

He had nothing.

He rage quit on his turn 6 with 1 resource, 1 card in hand and no creatures.

Maybe ratings aren't the big problem with this game. There are just too many bad players. And he was rated 139 so he had to have beaten someone.
    The problem is that there's not enough of a gap between strong and weak players IMO. 139 is super weak, I don't think there are players with more than 10 games under 100. Yet it's about half of the really strong players and well within the range he can play against them (150 points). And that's the whole problem. 150 in practice means you play just about everyone. Which is a disservice for both the strong and weak players. No one has fun in those matches.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There are just too many bad players.
    It may be that there are too few good players. The range of rating differences for challenge matches could be made arbitrarily small. That would increase your chance of having a good game and make the wait for a game potentially quite long. If Kyle changes the selection range, it will be interesting to see if people appreciate the better games or complain about the longer waits.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I agree. The rating gap is to blame. I preach it in every thread. But if you burn all your resources away without even a creature vs my 3... No matter how low you are, your going to lose. How did a player that bad gain any rank?
    A1 Elder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bob21218 View Post
    It may be that there are too few good players. The range of rating differences for challenge matches could be made arbitrarily small. That would increase your chance of having a good game and make the wait for a game potentially quite long. If Kyle changes the selection range, it will be interesting to see if people appreciate the better games or complain about the longer waits.
    How about you do it like all multiplayer games? Start off with the smallest gap, as games are harder to find, increase the gap in stages until you get a match. Wouldn't take longer than a minute as opposed to "instantly" with a 8-15 minute game with a bad opponent.
    A1 Elder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    How about you do it like all multiplayer games? Start off with the smallest gap, as games are harder to find, increase the gap in stages until you get a match. Wouldn't take longer than a minute as opposed to "instantly" with a 8-15 minute game with a bad opponent.
    We'll never know until we try it. You might end up getting a really good game with short wait or you could wait the whole minute and get the same quality you could have gotten right away. The key numbers are how many folks show up to play in a one minute period and what their ranges of skills are.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree. The rating gap is to blame. I preach it in every thread. But if you burn all your resources away without even a creature vs my 3... No matter how low you are, your going to lose. How did a player that bad gain any rank?
    Maybe they had three browser windows open and clicked the wrong card as they switched back and forth.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I personally like the rating system as is. I use a good deck that I've tested on AI to get to 190 or so, then I create a new deck and test it out at that rank. The fact that I get some good and some bad players, allows me to refine a deck without losing a terrible amount of rating points. Then I crawl back up with the good deck when my experiment goes awry. Baduruu this means you.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    But if you burn all your resources away without even a creature vs my 3... No matter how low you are, your going to lose. How did a player that bad gain any rank?
    Can you be sure that a colossally bad draw wasn't a big part of it? Casting plague at that point sounds odd, but maybe he felt he was doomed anyway and just wanted to see plague in action (perhaps for the first time, even). By my calculations, 139 is a very plausible rating for someone who has 2 wins and 0 losses. It may all be new to him.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    He dropped 2 puwen and a curse first. So it was obvious that his intention was to weenie me to death.

But it's like he forgot I killed his weenies and shrieked his curse.
    A1 Elder