Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Also I just won a tourney, well a pop up, yesterday with undead moon stalker. Do you know who plays undead moon stalker? Pretty much just me as far as I can tell. So this idea that you have to be meta slave and that everyone is forced into playing the same decks is not entirely accurate.

Also also I finished rank one once upon a time (and also a top 5) with said moonstalker. And again.. as far as I can tell no one was ever able to duplicate my success with the undead moon archetype.

I heard you say something about there not being avenues of play that allow for outwitting and out skilling opponents... and although yes, sometimes that is true sometimes you just lose outright because you are hard countered and there is little you can do.. it’s not always the case. There are plenty of heroes / play styles / matchups that do indeed require massive amounts of skill and experience and do allow for sick big brain 200 IQ out plays.

I’ve been playing for almost 8 years AND I STILL find myself in plenty of situations where I really do not know what I’m supposed to be doing to give myself my best chance of winning.
    Last edited by Nijjis; 04-20-2020 at 02:19 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ dubdub View Post
    6/32 heroes being the best tournament picks is not a bad meta. Its virtually impossible for all heroes to be equally viable. Other games see one deck end up at 30% or more of the tournament meta at times.
    Less than 20% effective is not really tolerable. That means when you log into play the majority of games you play, when two players are within about 30 rating points, will be decided by the hero you pick and/or the draw.

Consider trying to play say a hero like Logan. Kinda fun vs most elementals, rogue, hunter or warriors. Really fun vs against a Priest or Mage? No. Just a waste of time. Might as well concede asap. You can run through the heroes and, all but the tournament favourites who usually only have 1 bad match up, and the experience is the same. Rock Paper Scissors.

OP cards. It is hard to say what cards are OP because some simply are really harmful to one hero or the other.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ok but how do you explain this. There’s a player named ford f, he plays a different hero every game until he’s played all 32 and then repeats the process, AND HE STILL hits top 10 pretty much every month he wants to

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Nijjis View Post
    Ok but how do you explain this. There’s a player named ford f, he plays a different hero every game until he’s played all 32 and then repeats the process, AND HE STILL hits top 10 pretty much every month he wants to
    I am sure he is an excellent player with a strong meta based deck for each character. Rogues, hunters and priests will mean he is competitive in a wide range of matches.

Maybe the title should be that the meta is quite lame right now. Encouraging a lot of derpy strategies, that are not really fun to compete against. Lots of board wipes, lots and lots of card steal, lots of one shot spells, lots of simple burn races.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentl1ss View Post
    Less than 20% effective is not really tolerable. That means when you log into play the majority of games you play, when two players are within about 30 rating points, will be decided by the hero you pick and/or the draw.

Consider trying to play say a hero like Logan. Kinda fun vs most elementals, rogue, hunter or warriors. Really fun vs against a Priest or Mage? No. Just a waste of time. Might as well concede asap. You can run through the heroes and, all but the tournament favourites who usually only have 1 bad match up, and the experience is the same. Rock Paper Scissors.

OP cards. It is hard to say what cards are OP because some simply are really harmful to one hero or the other.
    Some heroes are bad. Logan is a bad hero. But there is a ton of viable strategies out there. Tier 1 is just the very best. I'd say at least half the rest of the heroes are just a step behind that. I too don't love some of the decks out there, but my personal preferences dont matter much when discussing balance
    IGN: TJ dubdub
    TG: @tjdubdub

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am sure he is an excellent player with a strong meta based deck for each character. Rogues, hunters and priests will mean he is competitive in a wide range of matches.

Maybe the title should be that the meta is quite lame right now. Encouraging a lot of derpy strategies, that are not really fun to compete against. Lots of board wipes, lots and lots of card steal, lots of one shot spells, lots of simple burn races.
    Let's take out your so called OP cards - board wipes, card steals, one shot spells, burn races - and now we have a game with nothing but allies and weapons. I don't think it's fun at all. One-dimensional and boring.

After 10 years in development, SE is a pretty balanced game. Sure some hero have slight advantage over the others, but that's not much ahead, and there is always counter to each strategy. To me, that's called BALANCE.

The problem with SE is not balancing, it's development, as always.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

It sounds like you have problem playing against your bad match-ups.

Learn how to cope with your bad match ups is one of the key to be a top player. When you learn to accept the loss instead of crying for imbalance, you become a good player.

SE is a skill-heavy game and it's not just rock paper sissors. Check out how top players break through their bad matchups will help you a lot.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by seedog View Post
    Let's take out your so called OP cards - board wipes, card steals, one shot spells, burn races - and now we have a game with nothing but allies and weapons. I don't think it's fun at all. One-dimensional and boring.
    I just think some are a bit too cheap to play or a bit too strong and there is not a lot of counter cards/abilities.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    TBH after really putting in a lot of effort in this game. I still feel the meta is very poor.

There are huge advantages to playing certain heroes over others. Some of the 'classes' have huge weaknesses while others have none.

This isn't a whinge that Hero X is better than Hero Y, but more there seems to be too many games where one opponent is Hard Countered, either by draw, going second or the hero match up. And a few heroes are unpleasant to play against.

A guildie asked me why I didn't just play a RD Baduruu deck and run up my rating and my response was it was completely unfun for anyone playing against it. Could say the same for several other heroes as well.

It often feels like Rock/Paper/Scissors.
    Last edited by Relentl1ss; 05-28-2020 at 12:34 AM.