Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Balance is Really Bad now

Played a while ago. Found the Locations took a lot of the fun out of it. Became a case of playing a Location and wiping someone without one out in a couple rounds. So took a big break from the game.

Thought I'd try playing again.

The heroes are so imbalanced now it is a lot like playing Rock Paper Scissors.

Any hero with a boardwipe>those without, almost always.
    Funny enough those with boardwipe also have better draw tech thus exasperating the problem.
    The heroes that need draw tech to put out allies don't have much and it is easily countered. Hence, 9/10 decks Warrior Decks feature Tainted Oracle just to stand a chance.
    To the point where the idea of turn vs turn outwitting your opponent with a good ally or ability is almost unheard of. Hence, there is no Logan, Tala, Vess or Bloodfang at the world championships. Too easy to counter with a single card.

It is almost like the game is encouraging Derpy strategies on purpose, taking the fun out of turn by turn play.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentl1ss View Post
    Hence, there is no Logan, Tala, Vess or Bloodfang at the world championships. Too easy to counter with a single card.
    Actually the winner of the last world championship ran a Vess deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifounet View Post
    Actually the winner of the last world championship ran a Vess deck.
    Yeah. I think there is one guy with a Vess in his rotation this year. Like playing Dark Souls on Hardmode.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentl1ss View Post
    Any hero with a boardwipe>those without, almost
    Lance and elementalis had been dominating rated and tournaments the first months of the year and neither of those use a board wipe...some ele players carry Energy Discharge but most don't. And like you were told before, Vess won last WC. Warriors have a pseudo board wipe with all the control cards they can play like javelin, marksman, cb, retreat, dagger of unmaking, etc. And dont forget warriors have one of the best draw engines ingame as blood frenzy.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by SET Colosal View Post
    Lance and elementalis had been dominating rated and tournaments the first months of the year and neither of those use a board wipe...some ele players carry Energy Discharge but most don't. And like you were told before, Vess won last WC. Warriors have a pseudo board wipe with all the control cards they can play like javelin, marksman, cb, retreat, dagger of unmaking, etc. And dont forget warriors have one of the best draw engines ingame as blood frenzy.

The game isn't entirely broken, but there are good reasons all the WC players this year are mostly running the same 5 or 6 heroes. Their card draw can't be destroyed, they have efficient tech removal, their shadow abilities can't be interfered with.

Consider the last point, for example, Tala has become bottom tier. Why? Well a 2cc stun turret can ruin 2 casts of her ability. Or any damage spell in the game can render her ability useless. There is nothing that renders Boris' ability useless or Lance's or Badura's. Hence why they are used a lot in the tournament.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I couldn’t actually disagree more! Currently the meta is in a pretty damn healthy state.. probably better than it’s ever been! Virtually every hero is completely viable albeit maybe not all are firmly tier 1.

A few examples.. for the longest time rothem was thought to be a garbage can tier 3 hero.. well someone actually took him to the top of the the ladder..

raikka same situation.. under played, seemingly underpowered was the consensus.. well my clan mate nibru smashed the winstreak record with a completely novel archetype (aldmor raikka) 25 straight wins and a top 5 finish.

No one was playing nishaven until my clan mate jota made lightning quarry nishaven into a thing. Which morphed into lightning quarry loest who also typically sees little play. Lightning quarry loest dominated shortly after.

There are many more examples like these.

Rock Paper Scissors is pretty much the nature of every TCG.. aggro > control > mid range > aggro. This a pretty fundamental concept and I’m not sure what you propose would be better.. each hero brings something different to the table with their own strengths and weaknesses which is good unless you’d prefer paper paper paper. Each hero for the most part can also support quite a wide range of different archetypes with varied play styles.

Tala is actually fairly strong currently imo.. probably as strong if not stronger than she has ever been. I was able to crack the win streak leaderboard with her a couple months ago, and also the current rank 1 player this season has played her quite a bit.

You mentioned board wipes.. really only priest has the only absolute board wipe, maybe also mage with super nova... well mage has been fairly weak up until recently. Lance has been consistently strong for years now and struggles against a wide board typically with nothing even resembling a board wipe.

Boris hero power can absolutely be rendered useless by decks lacking in 4cc or less drops such as priest, or anything semi solo.. but Boris can easily still win a lot of those games because he’s pretty strong in all phases early mid and late game.. all he needs is a blood frenzy. Warrior doesn’t typically run tainted oracle as you mentioned.. it’s kind of an awkward fit.

Saying that stun turret ruins tal is kind of like saying the card no where to hide ruins moon stalker. It’s a niche tech card that 95 of decks don’t want to touch with a 10 foot pole.. I think tala is safe from stun turret.
    Last edited by Nijjis; 04-19-2020 at 08:12 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Also I think the locations were implemented pretty damn well. and I initially had MASSIVE reservations against locations. They certainly are not game breaking and are not even all that common. Most decks by a pretty wide margin don’t run any locations.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Not going to argue as perhaps I wasn't clear on what I meant. My point was it that there are a lot of cards that render allies and some hero abilities pretty useless. This leads to a lot of really lame strategies to which there is not much counterplay for some heroes. There is also a lot of abilities that are amazingly strong but have no seeming cost.

So player A comes up with strategy that works against Hero types 1 2 3 but sucks against 4 and 5. It's rock paper scissors with pretty cards.

Look at the decks people are running in tournaments. Most are running combos where 2 of there 3 choices come from about six heroes.
    Last edited by Relentl1ss; 04-19-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    6/32 heroes being the best tournament picks is not a bad meta. Its virtually impossible for all heroes to be equally viable. Other games see one deck end up at 30% or more of the tournament meta at times.
    IGN: TJ dubdub
    TG: @tjdubdub

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah I’m sorry if you’re not pleased with the state of the meta but I for one feel it’s healthier than it’s ever been. pretty much every hero is at least somewhat viable.