Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Petition to return Soul Reaper back

I believe a mistake was made long ago when Soul Reaper was banned, and then changed.
    Please return Soul Reaper back to its original form.

Reason 1. Soul Reaper never prevented play, like mindstalker or other cards which don’t allow opponents to do anything, causing frustration. Simple life gain.

Reason 2. Soul Reaper never made any deck unstoppable. I never heard of Soul Reaper being a problem, in tournaments including WC. Where if there was abuse to be had it would be found there.

Reason 3. While at times Soul Reaper is incredibly powerful, many times it is incredibly useless.

Reason 4. The change to Soul Reaper destroyed Praxis mill. One important staple deck that has never been oppressive and currently has no legs to stand on.

Soul Reaper in its current state does not get played. 4 is too much and 1 per ally is too little.

Return it to original form with maybe a stipulation that a card has to have been discarded this turn to play.

OR

Original text + soul reaper is exiled (I remember something about its synergy with mimic was an issue)

OR

Something else

Just make it usable, close to what it was

I’d also like to hear what people think about this card, maybe what people didn’t specifically like about it

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Clubs View Post
    Soul Reaper in its current state does not get played. 4 is too much and 1 per ally is too little.
    There are a lot of cards in their current state that does not get played that deserves buffs way more than Soul Reaper does. Soul Reaper is a card that rewards you for losing and punishes your opponent for removing your allies. In a game that increasingly promotes a don't-play-anything playstyle to prevent feeding into the opponent's engine, Soul Reaper is potentially one of the worst parts in such a design, in that it directly gives life back. I would make it target the opponent's graveyard instead of your own, if anything.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My concern isn’t really Soul Reaper, my concern is making prax mill work again. It just so happens that soul reaper’s change is what killed it. And returning soul Reaper to its original state wouldn’t ruin the game. If not then all these discard cards in elementals playbook are also useless, so returning soul Reaper would actually make many cards playable again.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I just lost to moonstalker he stayed stealth for 10 turns in a row and probably could have kept going a lot longer. I had zero chance to do anything, I can’t justify running anti stealth in my shadow deck. Not like human who have cards that help that are also useful in other instances. I cleared the board twice and killed multiple allies with multiple abilities but still had no chance. It’s stuff like this that boggles my mind. But life gain is too strong??? I just don’t see the reasoning behind some of the things left and some of the things changed.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as I’m concerned. Pretty much word for word I would make the same argument.. It was far from OP in mil prax.. who typically struggles mightily to flip a lost board.. from what I gather it was more impactful for zaladar due to his play style of applying consistent damage and putting opposing heroes on a clock. zal only needed probably one never more than two copies, where as mil prax is basically forced into 3-4 and probably an equal number of mimics to boot.

Mill prax is completely useless now.. and his problems are further compounded by the large amount of heroes that can comfortably play with more than 40 cards...
    Fat priest can easily do 80, Victor and Garth can do 60-80 easily.. Boris is better with more than 40 cards because he wants to go late game fatty spam with blood frenzy.. without soul reaper prax has lost one of his best tools against things like mage / uru / amber etc.. I don’t know what if any good match ups that leaves it with..
    Last edited by Nijjis; 04-19-2020 at 09:04 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hey while we are it... bring back 3 mana anmors call please.. sure victor will be over powered but.. I miss turbo skervo and anmors Victor something fierce.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hmm you are on to something there, what you said about it being powerful for zaladar. Hear me out.

Return to original form, add a stipulation that makes it less powerful for zaladar and elementalis.

That way prax mill could still be played

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Stop banning original CotC cards!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    At jack of clubs.. I think a reasonable fix could be something like... when you cast soul reaper exile the top 5 cards of your library. This would make it harder for zaladar to close out games.