Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Tips for a Gwen player

Hi, I've been playing SE for a few months, and still like Gwen the most.

The biggest problem I have with Gwen is that it depends on a lot on the initial card draw. If the initial cards are good, then I have a great chance of winning. But when it's poor I'll struggle.

And I know the solution is to go for a smaller deck, mu current deck is 34 (including hero). I kept 3 poison arrows in in case I came up against the Erika-warrior training combo which I had no answer with. So my deck is already the smallest, w/o sacrificing flexibility.

So how does my fellow Gwen user deal with card drawing? Looks like bazaar is the only way, but what abt tips on sacrificing? I hate it when at 2 resource, I draw a full hand of bows, and I either have to discard some for sac, or to wait for next draw and lose tempo.

And what are some tips against human warriors aggro?
    Esp amber, who I think it's a more well rounded hero as compared to Gwen, as amber has item destruct cards, crippling blow and most imptly, blood frenzy. I realized that when I lose to warriors, it's often bec of the cards superiority.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In short, use prowlers and gravediggers cloak liberally.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Without seeing your deck list I would suggest using retreats instead of poison arrow, against Erika. Retreats are pretty versatile and they're cheaper.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Speaking of card superiority, Gwen isn't too lousy either, especially since Soulseeker helps you to heal, while you need a separate card Rampage for warriors. Granted it needs some timing, but at least its a 2 birds with 1 stone card. Also, it has 2 damage, while only dimension ripper hits for 2. mournblade and berserker needs to accumulate.

That aside, how about retreat / death trap instead of poison arrow? Prowler can work wonders if you manage to get it out on time too.

Remember to watch your opponent's hand too, since you play Gwen, must expect opponents who can to destroy item sooner or later. So watch out for which card they are not throwing out. A bit of guesswork, but it helps sometimes if you manage to time your Beetlebow's dura right, and turn it into an ally before it gets destroyed. This means you might have to transform it even when it has say 2 or even 3 charges left, if you really think he is going to destroy it next turn.

Or try playing Amber to get a feel of "the other side". Don't despair!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Durrr play rapid fire. Durrrr shoot guys with soul seeker and gain life. Durrr play another soul seeker. Gwen is probably the easiest deck to play right now -_-

Regional Runner-Up
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree with using Retreat. I have 4x in my Gwen deck.

Against Amber I try to steal important cards with Prowler and Gravedigger.

I'm at 275 rating with my Gwen deck and struggling against other Gwen players when they go first. Any tips on how to modify the deck and what to think about to beat them in a mirror match are most welcome. Most games go something like this:
    1 Resource - Resource
    2 Puwen - Puwen
    3 Aldon, my Puwen is killed - Aldon/Jasmine
    4 BDB, my Aldon/Jasmine is killed - BDB
    5 Prowler, my Rapid Fire/Prowler/Soulseeker gets stolen - Transform BDB, play Soulseeker
    6 BDB transformed, Soulseeker, my BDB is killed - I've pretty much lost whatever I play.

Is there a way to increase the chance of winning a game like this?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurum View Post
    I agree with using Retreat. I have 4x in my Gwen deck.

Against Amber I try to steal important cards with Prowler and Gravedigger.

I'm at 275 rating with my Gwen deck and struggling against other Gwen players when they go first. Any tips on how to modify the deck and what to think about to beat them in a mirror match are most welcome. Most games go something like this:
    1 Resource - Resource
    2 Puwen - Puwen
    3 Aldon, my Puwen is killed - Aldon/Jasmine
    4 BDB, my Aldon/Jasmine is killed - BDB
    5 Prowler, my Rapid Fire/Prowler/Soulseeker gets stolen - Transform BDB, play Soulseeker
    6 BDB transformed, Soulseeker, my BDB is killed - I've pretty much lost whatever I play.

Is there a way to increase the chance of winning a game like this?
    Try:

1 Resource - Resource
    2 Puwen - Puwen
    3 Aldon, my Puwen is killed - Death Trap
    4 BDB - Death Trap, Hide
    5 BDB transformed and killed by Death Trap, Soulseeker (you are hidden so he/she won't equip Prowler yet) - Soulseeker, kill Aldon or BDB, kill Puwen and Hide again (the latter is better, but more unlikely to happen)
    6 Prowler, your BDB is stolen which isn't so bad with Death Trap out or if you managed to hide for 2 turns you can try to play Prowler yourself now.

That suggested, going second to and getting perfectly handed by Gwen is always rough.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sounds good. The only problem I see is that not a lot of Gwen decks have Death Trap and Into the Forest. I personally would just use Retreat on their 3rd turn drop, then drop BDB next turn.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Retreat seem to me to be a far superior card to the poison arrows, as Shadowsteps suggested. Secondly, I see no good reason to ever go beyond 30 cards. If you need more critter control cards such as arrows or Retreat, something else has to go.

If someone would care to elaborate on the use of traps I'd be very interested in hearing peoples opinions. Atm I find both traps more or less useless, compared to Retreat and others.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I could see it probably working on a non-conventional hunter deck. From what I hear, Jarred has been having success with his Banebow deck that includes Death Traps.