Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro Tour 2019

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Pro Tour 2019

(I stole last year's image, so thanks to TJ Sleeping Dragon for that)

What is Pro Tour?
    Pro Tour is going to be different from previous years. In this year, we will keep track of all pop up results starting on July 10th. The top 25 players in pop up results by the time of the finals will compete in a tournament for 2019 WC Spots**. Any pop up that is considered for standard prizes will automatically be considered eligible for scoring by Pro Tour. If you run a pop up, please contact @BT_Mojorge on Telegram to ensure it is counted towards Pro Tour.

**Number of WC spots to be determined.

Summary
    1- Format: PT is individual and based on Pop Up results
    2- Scoring: Points for winning a match and placing 1st or 2nd (sometimes 3rd)
    3- Exceptions: point allocation for drops, and cheating concerns
    4- PT Finals: top 25 players qualify. Top X players (it was about 10 or so last year) qualify onto the World Championships
    5- PT Finals Format: Swiss tournament when it gets close to WC.

Format
    In this Pro Tour, you will be able to compete in as many pop ups as you'd like. There is no downside to playing in a pop up: only potential upside, so feel free to join or start as many pop ups as possible. You will score points for doing well in these pop ups, but even if you get eliminated early on, you will get a small number of points as long as you win at least 1 match. To win at Pro Tour, you'll need to consistently be performing well at pop ups. How to sign up for Pro Tour pop ups? Just join a pop up that qualifies for standard prizes, and you'll automatically gain your PT points.

Standard format for pop ups: Decklock, bo3, no banned cards. If you plan to run a pop up with different rules, please contact the PC in advance.

Scoring
    1. 1 point per match won
    2. Bonus points for 1st, 2nd, (and sometimes) 3rd

8 players:
    +3 points for 1st place
    +2 points for 2nd place

16 players:
    +6 points for 1st place
    +4 points for 2nd place
    +2 points for 3rd place

32 players:
    +9 points for 1st place
    +6 points for 2nd place
    +4 points for 3rd place

Pop ups larger than 32 players are not anticipated, but will follow a similar pattern.

Overall for an 8 player tourney example:
    1st: 3 matches won + 3 bonus points = 6 points
    2nd: 2 matches won + 2 bonus points = 4 points
    3-4ths: 1 match won = 1 point
    5th-8th: 0 matches won = 0 points

Exceptions in pointing awards, and treating drop rounds:
    Tournament Organizers are highly encouraged to find an exact number of participants, as Pro Tour consideration will round down. For example, if you have 15 players, even though it is really close to 16 players it will still be considered an 8 player tourney for the purposes of points. Tourneys with less than 8 players are not considered for PT points. In the case where there must be a drop round, the player will receive only .5 points instead of a full 1 point. While we don't want to penalize the people who randomly get assigned the drop round, it isn't fair to the players who won their matches against an actual opponent. A "Drop" is considered when the other player does not show up. If the other player shows up and plays at least one game, then the match will still be counted with full points.

Cheating: If there are complaints about cheating, please contact the player's committee and there will be discussions on whether sanctions should be applied. Cheating would be signing up for a tourney with 2 accounts in order to manipulate the results. Cheating could also be breaking the rules of the pop up, including but not limited to using banned cards, breaking deck lock, or having someone else play for you. Guild members negotiating who will move on for an advantage in terms of scoring is frowned upon, but not considered cheating.

Entering with Alts: Please choose 1 account and consistently use that 1 account for all pop ups. If you choose to enter a pop up with an alt account, we won't be able to tell that they are the same person, and so we would have to award the points to the separate usernames. You cannot qualify for PT finals twice, and doing this would lower your chances of being able to qualify in the first place.

PT Finals Qualification
    The top 25 players with the most points will move on to the final tournament.

Ties:
    Tiebreaker 1: Number of tournaments participated in
    Tiebreaker 2: Coin flip

Substitutes:
    Last year, there were a large number of people who dropped from participating in the PT finals, whether that was because they already qualified for WC or something else. This year, we will allow someone who qualified for the PT finals to name another player to play in their place. You may only nominate a player who has at least 1 Pro Tour point. Nominees are considered to be substitutes with the lowest priority, which means that they will almost certainly be placed in the Day 1 competition. By nominating a player, you would be forfeiting your ability to play in the PT Finals and win your WC ticket. If you do not name someone in a timely manner, we will take the next person off of the list of PT participants. This system is designed to reward players who have already won a WC ticket so that they are still incentivized to play in pop ups. PC reserves the right to cancel the nominations program if there is evidence of players selling their spots, causing drama, delaying the start of the Pro Tour finals, or engaging in other misbehavior.

PT Finals Format
    **Format is the same as last year, this is taken from last year's PT page**
    Swiss is the chosen format for finals having them in 2 separated weekends by November. Leader of the score board qualifies directly to WC18 while the rest up to rank 25th will have to fight their way in the finals:
    10th to 25th will play the first weekend where only the top 8 will qualify to the second weekend.
    2nd to 9th go directly to second weekend where the remaining WC spots will be given.

Ensuring Competitive Fairness
    To ensure competitive fairness, we require you submit your deck code in advance before the tournament roster in a Pro Tour tournament is posted. If you fail to submit a code before the tournament roster is put up, you will be significantly less likely to receive a favorable ruling if an issue or conflict arises (these responses are time stamped). You also may face additional penalties for repeated violations, which can be point penalties or disqualification, up to the discretion of the Player's Committee. Tournament hosts are encouraged to post a link to the google form for deck submissions before putting up brackets, but it will ultimately be the responsibility of the players to try and submit their decks in a timely manner before the brackets are posted. Getting into the habit of submitting a deck code as soon as you join a pop up can help make the whole process smoother.

Current penalty formula: Players will lose 1 point for each time they failed to submit a deck code IF they have failed to submit a deck code over 40% of the time.

Link to Google Form

The Player's Committee will oversee all Pro Tour related questions, complaints, or concerns. Please reply to this thread or contact someone on the Player's Committee.
    @BT_Mojorge @NikVeles @JoesLlamas @Mananexus
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mojorge; 07-27-2019 at 01:47 AM.
    Black Templars - No Remorse, No Fear, No Pity.
    http://www.blacktemplars.org/

I'm a game designer and blogger. Check out my blog:
    www.jorgezhang.com

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Last edited by mojorge; 07-22-2019 at 03:53 PM.

www.jorgezhang.com

Senior Member samuel.slone27@gmail.com's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In SET SamYou2D3ath

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    (I stole last year's image, so thanks to TJ Sleeping Dragon for that)
    In fact there are still the old artworks for Skervox, Vess and Loest

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice idea. I see reason to let qualified players to name someone else to take their spot, but I don't like it. Is there a possibility at least those players not to put straight into day 2 top8, but pile them up behind players who actually played in events?

Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo View Post
    Nice idea. I see reason to let qualified players to name someone else to take their spot, but I don't like it. Is there a possibility at least those players not to put straight into day 2 top8, but pile them up behind players who actually played in events?
    Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I worry a bit about people trying to sell their spots or something like that, which would lower the level of the competition. This may be a good compromise. I will discuss this with the rest of the Players committee.

www.jorgezhang.com

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Pro Tour goes live in about 6 hours, which is when it will be July 10th. (GMT time)

www.jorgezhang.com

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sounds good and I hope this really helps to improve activity but it will be only in telegram cause pop ups aren't usually promoted in global. I think a rule where the host has to promote it in global should be implemented.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by SET Colosal View Post
    Sounds good and I hope this really helps to improve activity but it will be only in telegram cause pop ups aren't usually promoted in global. I think a rule where the host has to promote it in global should be implemented.
    Good point. I definitely encourage this, and it should be the norm.

www.jorgezhang.com

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Finals are up and being played right now, just follow these links to know all the matches!

Finals group A https://challonge.com/Ptfinalsga

Finals group B https://challonge.com/Ptfinalsgb