Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by SET Colosal View Post
    What has rating to do with knowing about the game?
    It shows that you know how to play it well, why certain cards or decks are strong, in which situations etc. Balancing the game isn't easy and you need a very vast knowledge about it to be able to do so.

Here we have a perfect example of perfectly unnecessary changes. The previous release was an example of harmful cards (Adlard and Crimson knight) introduced to the game. Before that it was the same (Ballista and Javelin). Now they need to get nerfed and it's done multiple times/card (first with Javelin, next with the Knight).

If you know the game it's easier to make predictions about the effects of releasing new cards. If you can't even build a single good deck how could you be able to make those predictions? For reaching a high rating you need to be able to read the meta and build counters to it. If you can't do that how can you predict the effect new cards will have on it?
    A1: Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What are other parametars of being good rated matches player ? To trust on word ? Smth like : ok he is honest man , if he say he is good let's believe .
    Sinister Always Pays His Debts

European Shadow Era Champion

First SEF champion

Wanna join A1 ? Contact me on TELEGRAM @MrArcy

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    This thread is being majorly derailed with comments about competency of the DT. Sorry for my part in that.

If anyone has some constructive comments about the changes or what else you think should change as well, or instead, then that would be more useful at this point.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Oh wow I can't believe I have to defend myself against silly arguments like this. I've been playing this game since 2012, I believe, and have done so on all levels, noobie days, competitive days, more casual days, testing new cards since PFG 3, being on design team. Reason why I don't go for high rating or tourney wins is because in SE those achievements mount to very little atm. Do you get fame? No. Do you get money? No. I don't get much personal gratification from them so I choose to focus my SE time on more casual play atm. Playing weird decks isn't proof of me not knowing how to build a deck lol It is part of effort to test weaker strategies in order to see how to improve them with new cards or balance changes (like my recent Lilyt Majiya for example). I don't post tier 1 decks but janky decks in hope I would inspire other people to try out other strategies and diversify game further. I don't need to play tier 1 deck because there is bunch of people playing them already that I face with my weird decks or spectate or get feedback from community and other DT members. And frankly wins with tier 1 decks come off too easy and cheap for me and I get no satisfaction from them.

But just in case to see if I haven't gone crazy and made up all that experience in the game I went today on my alt to play it "for real". Currently rated 11 rank 285 which I believe puts me above everyone else on this thread atm. I guess it's a proof I am better at the game than any of you? You can check it at Blade Demonrose.

Now if you can focus on balance changes and not derail thread on personal attacks that would be great.
    Last edited by Veles; 05-05-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I’m not completely convinced garina is broken. The proposed nerf of 5 or more and once per turn completely destroys this card. I agree it could be potentially problematic card.. but as it stands now... even if close to a third of my deck is 4 or more cost allies, garina isn’t exactly breaking the game for me.. at 1/3 my deck probably only 2 cards in hand are allies that fit the requirement. You need at least 6 mana to plop down two, both must be 4 cost. The odds of playing 3 in a turn are relatively non existent up until late game and even then possibly low odds. As long as control archetypes featuring many fatties are not super strong and super prevalent I don’t foresee much of a problem...

One thing that does intrigue me though is the potential synergy with the new hunter ability that reduces cost, allowing hunter allies 4 plus to be played for -2. but even then there’s not exactly a dearth of OP 4 or more cost hunter allies.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    Oh wow I can't believe I have to defend myself against silly arguments like this. I've been playing this game since 2012, I believe, and have done so on all levels, noobie days, competitive days, more casual days, testing new cards since PFG 3, being on design team. Reason why I don't go for high rating or tourney wins is because in SE those achievements mount to very little atm. Do you get fame? No. Do you get money? No. I don't get much personal gratification from them so I choose to focus my SE time on more causal play atm. Playing weird decks isn't proof of me not knowing how to build a deck lol It is part of effort to test weaker strategies in order to see how to improve them with new cards or balance changes (like my recent Lilyt Majiya for example). I don't post tier 1 decks but janky decks in hope I would inspire other people to try out other strategies and diversify game further. I don't need to play tier 1 deck because there is bunch of people playing them already that I face with my weird decks or spectate or get feedback from community and other DT members. And frankly wins with tier 1 decks come off too easy and cheap for me and I get no satisfaction from them.

But just in case to see if I haven't gone crazy and made up all that experience in the game I went today on my alt to play it "for real". Currently rated 11 rank 285 which I believe puts me above everyone else on this threat atm. I guess it's a proof I am better at the game than any of you? You can check it at Blade Demonrose.

Now if you can focus on balance changes and not derail thread on personal attacks that would be great.
    Garina nerf and Crimson nerf aren't enough to make Priests normal. Crimson and Adlard are still very unbalanced cards. Adlard makes priests win even vs Lance that used to be a very tough MU for them. Zail for fatties, tidal for a big board, adlard for those rogue weenies. They have no weaknesses atm:

Best draw
    Top 2 Item/ability destruction
    Best heal
    Best board wipe
    Awesome weenies and fatties (knight and Adlard)
    Top 2 attachments

Ironically Jerry is one of the few good anti-Jerry heroes. A good Jerry beats Lance, rush mage etc. These changes are too small to change much. Knight is still awesome and you wouldn't even need the 2 cards for a top tier priest deck. That's how good their card pool is.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The change to knight of crimson I would guess doesn’t go far enough. I’m going to propose

2/6 steadfast when KOTC is summoned gain 4 life opposing heroes gain 1 SE, if no other friendly allies are in play KOTC has +1 attack. Ability damage to KOTC is reduced by one. Combat damage to KOTC on your turn is reduced by one.
    Last edited by Nijjis; 05-05-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    Oh wow I can't believe I have to defend myself against silly arguments like this. I've been playing this game since 2012, I believe, and have done so on all levels, noobie days, competitive days, more casual days, testing new cards since PFG 3, being on design team. Reason why I don't go for high rating or tourney wins is because in SE those achievements mount to very little atm. Do you get fame? No. Do you get money? No. I don't get much personal gratification from them so I choose to focus my SE time on more causal play atm. Playing weird decks isn't proof of me not knowing how to build a deck lol It is part of effort to test weaker strategies in order to see how to improve them with new cards or balance changes (like my recent Lilyt Majiya for example). I don't post tier 1 decks but janky decks in hope I would inspire other people to try out other strategies and diversify game further. I don't need to play tier 1 deck because there is bunch of people playing them already that I face with my weird decks or spectate or get feedback from community and other DT members. And frankly wins with tier 1 decks come off too easy and cheap for me and I get no satisfaction from them.

But just in case to see if I haven't gone crazy and made up all that experience in the game I went today on my alt to play it "for real". Currently rated 11 rank 285 which I believe puts me above everyone else on this threat atm. I guess it's a proof I am better at the game than any of you? You can check it at Blade Demonrose.

+1. Same

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Maybe the ad hominem arguments made you not see me point that is:

Priests are insanely strong and have no natural enemies. The nerfs don't have any real effect on the situation, this made me feel like you don't understand how strong they really are atm. Maybe I was wrong and they're just supposed to stay God Tier without any non-teched counters

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimbled View Post
    Maybe the ad hominem arguments made you not see me point that is:

Priests are insanely strong and have no natural enemies. The nerfs don't have any real effect on the situation, this made me feel like you don't understand how strong they really are atm. Maybe I was wrong and they're just supposed to stay God Tier without any non-teched counters
    Well so far we intended in DT to do incremental changes to cards and not risk killing them off completely as it has happened in the past. But given scarce resources we can work with and slow releases from development, which leads to us not being able to test them before they go live, it may come off as soft approach. Alternative is to be safe and nerf it to the ground. In case of priests though if we nerf that way this control version and we proceed to nerf attachment versions (which is being monitored and changes considered) what is left out there for priests? Either OG slow fat stall or haste that have been around for literally years now. So we need to be, imo, very careful and without option to test these in detail internally or in PFG it is almost impossible to get completely right. It is very ungrateful situation we are in atm. Why I think there is no need to be super hasty this time around is that despite playing vs priest can feel frustrating, due to nature of control archetype itself, I don't think this deck in particular is on level of brokeness some others have been in the past. Stats of all games played, both in low and high ranks, actually show very healthy diversity atm with heroes, and Zhanna and Jerry do share tier 1 with several other heroes, some of which are actually performing better than them.
    Last edited by Veles; 05-05-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla