Close

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

How to Improve Meltdown?

The Meltdown mode has existed for about 6 years and barely changed, apart from becoming completely free and therefore not really in the interest of the game. It's still popular with a niche group, but them playing it instead of the Rated/Unrated mode just takes away activity from both.

If Meltdown could be changed to be in the interest of the game, then it could be promoted and also improved.

What are your thoughts on Meltdown right now? How would you change it to make it worthwhile for people to pay entry fee? Would you change it out completely for another mode?

As it stands, Meltdown is still there but neglected and most posts on the Global Chat in-game are people seeking someone to be paired with. Only hardcore players play it and they grind out decent rewards without spending anything on the game, which is why we did not promote it when I was chairman and Game Director.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    For reference, here's the current prize thread and the last time I shared my thoughts on it:

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....l=1#post615472

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Improved Meltdown

Cost of entry 500sc or Gold equivailant

Players draft a deck same as the current meltdown.
    No matter What, players keep all cards they open
    Players keep the same deck for 6 games
    2 wins = bronze
    4 wins = silver
    6 wins = gold

Bronze prize - 1 prize pack
    Silver prize - 2 prize pack, 1 premium + 50sc per win
    Gold prize - 4 prize pack, 2 premium + 100sc per win

If a player wins all 6, they have the option to cash out, or trade their sc prize to 'double down'
    They get to pick 1 more pack to add to their draft, and then have to win 3 times in a row to receive some sort of ultimate prize. Losing a double down game means they fail and forfeit the SC prize and only leave with the packs they drafted and the packs they won

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross013 View Post
    Improved Meltdown

2 wins = bronze
    4 wins = silver
    6 wins = gold

If a player wins all 6, they have the option to cash out, or trade their sc prize to 'double down'
    They get to pick 1 more pack to add to their draft, and then have to win 3 times in a row to receive some sort of ultimate prize. Losing a double down game means they fail and forfeit the SC prize and only leave with the packs they drafted and the packs they won

This is a good model. Biggest issue for me with current MD is that it is too grindy if you want to compete and if you don't compete for prizes and play it more casually, it is lacking any sense of progression. Style of format Ross described addresses both points. Thing I would add is to end MD run after 2 or 3 loses.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You could have it end at X losses, but there's a feel bad factor if you don't get a good pool, being allowed to play all 6 games would give more chance for hitting the prize bracket with a sub optimal pool, making it more likely that players will come back for more even if the chips are down

Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You could have it end at X losses, but there's a feel bad factor if you don't get a good pool, being allowed to play all 6 games would give more chance for hitting the prize bracket with a sub optimal pool, making it more likely that players will come back for more even if the chips are down

I understand. Other possibility is to give some minor reward for 0 wins as well.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Improved Meltdown

2 wins = bronze
    4 wins = silver
    6 wins = gold

I like this but I would change the prizes for the top 3 cause more cards aren't really a motivation for old players.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Imo I really enjoy meltdown. I’d have to give some thought about changes but the first thing that comes to mind is a simple quality of life change. If you are waiting for a player to join match.. would be nice if there was a display somewhere that tells you stuff such as... a player is creating a deck... If they cancel to browse other pack combinations.. if a player is waiting in queue, would be nice if there was a way to message them directly and have them be notified of said message.

Also DP is strictly the worst pack.. this isn’t necessarily a problem, but if balance desired could alter card offering %’s...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Adding in a pack of Campaign every time would be something small to shake things up and help with ally ratios.

Also don't allow people to keep cracking packs until they get broken combos. (I know someone suggested this already.)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Oh god yeah. There’s so many combinations to choose from. Generally you’ll find your best decks in 4 cotc, 3 cotc 1 sf, 3cotc 1 dp. 2 cotc 2 sf. Etc etc. If you dip below two cotc you’re generally scraping the bottom of the barrel... not sure exactly where I’m going with this point.. idk if the idea is to change it from no entry fee maybe make it to where you can mulligan a few times or a few packs and after that pay to mulligan or something.