Close

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Make zooming of Locations a bit more player friendly

I'm surprised Locations have been in the game so long without huge complaints of not being able to read easily the text for the opponent and I did have a few ideas for making it more player-friendly, but it never really got to be such a hot issue so it was never addressed. Haunty just raised it on Telegram, so I post here for it to be captured somehow and maybe lead to discussion.

SOLUTION 1: Zooming can show the card twice (normal and rotated 180).

SOLUTION 2: Zooming can show the card rotated 180 if you click/hover over the top half.

SOLUTION 3: Generate the card image in 2 additional forms with the text written the right way up on each, so regardless of controller you can see both and show the right one to each player.

There are probably other solutions, but those are the 3 I was considering to make things slightly nicer. Feel free to suggest more!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +1

My personal solution would just be to have a button come up when zoomed that simply says "Rotate" (or perhaps "Rotate View" for clarity in players not thinking they're switching control of the card). That way one can just spin the card around as they like to read either side, because it is annoying to either have to know both effects for all Locations, or try to turn my head upside-down to try and read other side, lol.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    While at it, locations are also missing dedicated zone boarder like we have for Hero, Allies, Support, Deck, Graveyard, Resources.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like the idea of having the card auto-rotate in order to show the active ability for each player. Having a rotate button can be the icing on the cake.
    Veles added something here and I would like to take it one step further.
    How about each time a location is played a custom playmat of the given location appears between the players?
    That way it give he feel that the battle is on the the given location.
    You can then make these custom playmats purchasable at some point in order to make profit from the designing of the playmats.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I’d prefer option 3. Even on phones the text is large enough to read upside down when zoomed. But I’m a native speaker so that makes it a bit easier. With option 3, that would be out of the way and perhaps the easiest to implement? The only pitfall would be how the game would handle stolen locations. If the client selected the image based on card ownership then you might see both texts inverted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24