Close

Thread: Spyral Mage?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Spyral Mage?

Hi!

I just remembered that Scrying Eye exists.. lol I wonder why this card was even made. It makes me curious if there were ever plans for a scrying theme, like the SPYRAL cards from Yu-Gi-Oh! (a Tier 0 deck in its prime). For anyone curious, here are a couple of examples of SPYRAL cards: spyral.jpg

QUESTION: Anyone have any ideas on how a deck like this could/would work in SE? Obviously, it would have to be themed differently. I'm thinking like, some seers/tarot readers... but what would they do? It would have to be something quirky, but effective. Like Twilights lol Simply doing ability damage would be boring.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Alright, I caved and made some myself to give you guys an idea of what I was referring to Let me know what you guys think!
    Keep in mind though, I'm primarily looking for feedback and ideas on the concept as whole, rather than these specific cards

Last edited by Kross; 11-25-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Do you get to seek any card from your deck, and than that card's cost is counted as X, or is the X cost of targeted ally?
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    Do you get to seek any card from your deck, and than that card's cost is counted as X, or is the X cost of targeted ally?
    Seek any card and that card's cost is counted as X!

That's meant to be SE's way of having the caster guess a cost, but it also serves as a restriction that requires you to have a card with that exact cost left in your deck in order for the effect to fully resolve (and get rid of that resource permanently). Also note that on all of them except replicant, if the caster gets it wrong, then the opp gets to keep the card.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So the idea is that you can use Scrying Eye to to be sure that you can match the cost of the card that you seek to the cost of their card? Neat idea, although I'm not sure what some of those effects are about, like "receives 3 random negative effects" or artifacts being "immune", the idea overall is neat though.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    So the idea is that you can use Scrying Eye to to be sure that you can match the cost of the card that you seek to the cost of their card?
    Yes! But Replicant for example could also achieve the same effect -- scrying eye would just be supplementary card, not a clutch one

Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    Neat idea, although I'm not sure what some of those effects are about, like "receives 3 random negative effects" or artifacts being "immune", the idea overall is neat though.
    Yeah :/ the wording could definitely be better, but the negative effects thing is meant to simulate a curse sort of theme; where after the effect resolves, the targeted ally walks away with, say, poisoned, ablaze, and frozen or whatever RNG produces (which also accounts for future negative effects), and that allies like Karlstrad or Stalactitan would still be affected by it.. and the immune thing was just ensuring your opp would have to get rid of the armor before they can get rid of your artifacts (or cards that were once artifacts, like Living Ice Wall and Clockwork Soldier)

I'm definitely interested in if any of you guys have ideas on how SE could implement the concept, though! Or if anyone knows any ancient Design Team history that might shed some light on if there were ever plans for going further with the theme!

Random thought: A checking-in post from Calmdown, Orange Hat Guy, Mojumbo, etc would be so insane!!!
    Last edited by Kross; 11-25-2018 at 10:51 PM.