Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Is Heavy Ballista a power creep?

Heavy Ballista is definitely powerful (possibly OP- but I try to avoid phrases that can induce flame wars). It is easy to trigger an increase in its base attack and it isn't particularly hard to end up with an attack value of 8- especially with cards like Wulven Tinker that increase its durability.

In fact, its ability is easier to trigger than the 6cc Chains of Torment which requires an opposing ally to be killed and only offers 2 more durability for twice the cost. And again, the durability difference seems to be further trivialized by the presence of Wulven Tinker.
    (Mournblade is another potential card for comparison but because it is designed for a different faction with access to Tidal Wave- it doesn't seem to be a fair comparison.)

In addition, Heavy Ballista increases the attack value of your (high cost) allies- acting like a War Banner or a Meat Wagon.
    All in all, based on the existing cards Heavy Ballista definitely seems like a power creep compared to Chains of Torment without offering any balancing drawbacks.

Hopefully this post will trigger constructive discussion as to what changes would be necessary to make Heavy Ballista not a power creep.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree it needs to be watched closely and seems to strong in its current state.
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think a big reason that it seems so good right now is that eye of the dark forest is so strong, probably op. This makes playing catty spam easier since you can easily catch up on board even if the opponent had a good start. I think without eye that ballista would be a good but not op weapon
    IGN: TJ dubdub
    TG: @tjdubdub

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I also think that tinker is too good for the cost. Adding 2 durability is HUGE, but it also draws on death? If those abilities stays, I think it should be a 3/2 or 2/3 ally (as it is mostly for adding the durability and keeping cards in hand anyway...so it would be better to keep the abilities or keep the stats and only add +1 durability)
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Is Heavy Ballista a power creep?

I think too the way tinker is constructed is a hair strong. Especially when shaman recovers it from graveyard. More durability and another cantrip. Perhaps leave it as is but it exile upon croaking?

But to the original question. I’ve not played enough with it to know but there are some other creep cards out there, layarian knight comes to mind. Compared to the original puwen bloodhelm!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ballyworld; 11-14-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballyworld View Post
    I think too the way tinker is constructed is a hair strong. Especially when shaman recovers it from graveyard. More durability and another cantrip. Perhaps leave it as is but it exile upon croaking?

But to the original question. I’ve not played enough with it to know but there are some other creep cards out there, layarian knight comes to mind. Compared to the original puwen bloodhelm!
    Layarian Knight is completely different imo...i agree it's a very good card (except vs banebow), but it is a card EVERY hero has access to.
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Knight is human ally and I see what your driving at, but my thought was around early game where knight is better in pretty much every way. Knight is more creepy in that phase compared to puwen than say bandit or CoI.

IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballyworld View Post
    Knight is human ally and I see what your driving at, but my thought was around early game where knight is better in pretty much every way. Knight is more creepy in that phase compared to puwen than say bandit or CoI.

That's true, but almost all 2cc allies created after puwen have a power creep over puwen (some are class-restricted, but back in the day Puwen was good...mostly because there weren't many options at 2cc)
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think the problem is tinker as noted rather than ballista. Tinker to buff the weakest of the Wulven heroes worked fine. Tinker with moon and ballista is a bit much.

Layarian knight is, I feel a bit too OP. Personally I would give Ironhide Karash a non claw/sword attack (or harbinger an ice attack) to reduce the human/shadow disparity.
    IGN: A1 Flibber

signature IG message: "the game has already started"