Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I feel like certain hero powers are overpowered....

Now, I may be a casual player pampered by likes of Hearthstone and other card games, but I feel like I have to address certain moments that make me a bit frustrated during play, and the most noticeable are hero powers. I'm not demanding to nerf them right away, but maybe thinking about it.

So, let's talk about hero powers.
    I'm actually really glad that there are so much of them, but I also feel that that diversity is making certain heroes be much more powerful than others. The ones I want to address are the bloodfang, Baduruu and Serena.

So let's talk about the first two guys.

Their powers allow them to summon ANY weapon or minion respectively at no cost. NO. COST. Must I tell you how much of a tempo swing that is? Baduruus ability cost ONLY 1 more shadow energy than, let's say Amber's. And just for that little bit amount of shadow energy, he can equip ANY weapon that he desires... including the one that has immunity to destruction spells. AND he is getting +1 attack. Not only he can immediately remove any minion, but also can allow himself to have a nice weapon that can give him a significant advantage in further turns. That's just nuts! No other hero has any even remotely broken ability (Boris's and Eladwen's are, for instance, require certain minions to be on board in order for their ability to be useful)
    Same goes for bloodfang. I think it's even worse with him because he ALWAYS summons a minion that NOT only big enough for himself but who, also, immediately eliminate OTHER enemy minion. And it cost only 5 shadow energy to do that! Really?

And finally, Serena. It is frustrating enough as it is to fight against the rogue, but her ability with conjunction to cutlass can allow not only to equip 4|4 weapon. but also STEAL a card from the opponent's hand? In Hearthstone, the was a spell that cost 6 mana that could do that, and developers were forced to delete it because it was broken! This hero can have 4|4 weapon for 5 mana, and perform the same effect.

So, again, I'm not saying that you immediately should nerf those heroes, but please, consider my thought, okay? Sorry for whining.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I feel like certain hero powers are overpowered....

I will disagree on all three.

Serena was nearly unplayable before cutlass was introduced. Yes it’s a strong play on t5 but the 4/4 reverts to 2/4 at the end of her turn. With many good choices for item destruction now it’s short lived. And if she loses the early game ppl can just run it down with allies.

Badurru isn’t able to use sledgehammer so I’m not sure what bow or hunter accessible weapon is indestructible more info is needed. But all weapon based hero’s have the same vulnerability to item destruction.

Bloodfang can be trouble but many classes have good access to ally control. Crippling blow. Captured prey. Hunter traps/perfect shot. Mind control. Asassination. Mage burn. Tidal wave. He has access to shadow font which offsets the SE cost but it takes space away from early game needs. If you have a good early game, one can offer weather the storm and take board to finish it off.

All in all the three you mentioned can present problems but with good draw it’s very possible for most decks to have good counters to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ballyworld; 11-12-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballyworld View Post
    I will disagree on all three.

Serena was nearly unplayable before cutlass was introduced. Yes it’s a strong play on t5 but the 4/4 reverts to 2/4 at the end of her turn. With many good choices for item destruction now it’s short lived. And if she loses the early game ppl can just run it down with allies.
    At the rate she is stealing cards both in deck AND hand nobody will be having any allies left to run her down.

Badurru isn’t able to use sledgehammer so I’m not sure what bow or hunter accessible weapon is indestructible more info is needed. But all weapon based hero’s have the same vulnerability to item destruction.
    He is still insanly strong. Wasting your opponents destruction card for free is still amazing value, not to mention that you have a chance to swing it first.

Bloodfang can be trouble but many classes have good access to ally control. Crippling blow. Captured prey. Hunter traps/perfect shot. Mind control. Asassination. Mage burn. Tidal wave. He has access to shadow font which offsets the SE cost but it takes space away from early game needs. If you have a good early game, one can offer weather the storm and take board to finish it off.
    Too many big minions requring strong removals, you will run out of them much faster when he will just keep spamming his 5|6 who immidiatly kill your own allies

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Serena can only steal one at a time and if she does it via killing ally then you actually draw one as well. If she’s stealing two then it’s due to night prowler but that takes two turns to set up. It’s powerful but not unbeatable.

How then is badurru different than ter adun who destroys weapons for free at same SE cost. One could argue that he wastes opponents weapons the same as badurru wastes opponents ID.

Blood fang cannot spam the ability without using SE acceleration cards which dilutes out the deck. It’s a choice that the player makes and you can exploit one way or the other.

If any of these hero’s hit a good hand and draw well, it can be very tough to face but that’s cards.

The hero abilities are designed to be game changers and add certain flavors to a deck but playing more will help with your anticipation of what the good plays are and help you decide what to keep around to deflect them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    How long have you been playing Shadow Era? My guess is that you need to play more to really get a good feel for the game. Right now there are a few cards that may be OP, but the heroes and their abilities you mentioned aren't an issue imo (and I've been playing since set 1). There certainly are some difficulties when facing these heroes, but you have to build your deck with counters to the difficulties in mind
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I I do hear what you are saying here my friend. I also appreciate the willingness to come forward with your opinion on this as not many would take their time to put forth their thoughts.

I have been playing since 2012 and I will say that I disagree with your comments, not entirely though. I’ll explain why.

Let’s start with Bloodfang. My favorite dam hero in he game!!! Bloodfang, while he can summon any ally (or “minion” to go with your Hearthstone terminology :P) suffers greatly still in some key matchups.

Warriors tend to be death because of their ability to control and outright kill your allies with Dragon Tooth.

Mages tend to be too fast and have too much ability damage and control options. Fireball, Lightning Strike, Shadow Bolt, Subdue and even the aggravating Voice of Winter.

Priests also are a pain as a single Tidle wave eliminates your 5 SE and resources spent the turn before.

Rogues also can destroy them with tools like Ankle Breaker and other control options.

However, against other classes, they tend to do well. This outlines the balance of Shadow Era. Each hero class and or deck combination has a set of bad matchups.

Baduruu, summoning his bow for free is amazing! However, he was trash before new weapons were created xD. The diversity that you mention was not always the case. While his ability might be on the very strong side, I don’t want it changed because then we end up with a very boring meta. Also, Baduruu tends to lose, badly at time, to Warriors, Rogues and Priests.

Serena, that dam thief, is so aggravating to face but is hardly a true threat to the balance of the game. Her ability to steal cards can just as easily steal garbage as it can gold. I think this mechanic is less game breaking in SE than Hearthstone because of deck size and chances to steal cards your opponent would have sacrificed anyhow. Also, it is only with her ability and the weapon that she gains maximum value. Many times you can find yourself only able to pull this off once. Competitive players will always have 2-3 removal options for weapons because of the prevalence of weapon heroes in the meta.

Btw, Serena tends to die easily to Warriors, Hunters (Especially Gwenneth) and at times Wulven. Heck, even a Mage with a solid start can rush you down.

Overall, all these heroes, even with their abilities, suffer to bad matchups due to great game management and development. I don’t think you can ever say that any hero is OP. It more comes down to their supporting cards. Even these heroes, don’t have enough to make them warp things.

Although, Bloodfang with his new item Ey Of The Dark Forrest is making people raise some eyebrows.
    "Is he a man? Or, is he a mango?" - Gondorian

Join our Telegram Community.

Join Shadow Era on Social Media: Facebook|Twitter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    hi, a better way to judge whether they're op is to play many games with them, and see how others counter your decks