Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Balor calendar and clock?

Well, as title says, the idea is to create a different clock and calendar for our world of Balor, with seasons and other stuff going accordingly.

First of all let's say we want to make it in a way the Balor year is as long as the Earth year, so that WC is still once a year for both calendars. Now we need to decide the time unit for the Balor calendar. According to Shadow Era loading screen tips this unit is the hour (25 hours in a day), and I think it's a fair decision to make it the base time unit. Now some basic math: Earth hours in a year E=365.25*24=8766; Balor hours in a year B=13*4*9*25=11700. One Balor hour lasts E/B Earth hours, which is 8766/11700=0.74923. That is equal to 44 minutes and 57.23 seconds, Earth time. Due to approximations in this last passage our Balor year will be 8.82 Earth seconds shorter than our year, but I don't think it's gonna be too much of a problem. Now, the Balor day will be 25*B=18 hours, 43 minutes and 50.75 seconds Earth time; the Balor week will be 7 days, 34 minutes and 36.75 seconds; the Balor month will be 28 days, 2 hours, 18 minutes and 27 seconds and lastly the Balor year will be 365 days, 5 hours, 59 minutes and 51 seconds, which is 9 seconds shorter than the actual Earth year.

There sure is room for improvements (like a manual reset every year or so, to avoid the error to stack over time), but that's basically how it would work.

EDIT: there was a mistake in my calculations, which disappeared after a second check. Now the whole thing works much more flawlessly.
    Last edited by Chuck Morrison; 08-26-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I like this idea a lot. I reckon we could do some fun things with it as well.