Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

3.60 Rothem - Hammer (pop up winning and top hero leaderboard deck)

UPDATED VERSION

Hero: Rothem, King of Layar (41 cards)

Ally (21):
    4x Yari Bladedancer
    4x Rampant Krygon
    4x Brimstone Devourer
    4x Falseblood Cultist
    4x Yari Marksman
    1x Vull the Insatiable

Ability (10):
    3x Crippling Blow
    1x Smashing Blow
    4x Blood Frenzy
    1x Enrage
    1x Rampage

Item (9):
    1x Stun Turret
    4x Reserve Weapon
    4x Lythian Sledgehammer

Deck Code: 863282B

OLD version

Hero: Rothem, King of Layar

Allies (22):
    4x Yari Bladedancer ~300g
    4x Rampant Krygon ~300g
    4x Brimstone Devourer ~720g
    4x Falseblood Cultist ~720g
    3x Yari Marksman ~120g
    2x Phaedon Barbarian ~400g
    1x Vull the Insatiable ~3200g

Abilities (10):
    3x Crippling Blow ~100g
    1x Smashing Blow ~100g
    4x Blood Frenzy ~100g
    1x Enrage ~100g
    1x Rampage ~220g

Items (8):
    4x Reserve Weapon ~200g
    4x Lythian Sledgehammer ~990g

41 cards ~ 23000g

This deck was playable before 3.6, but it got buffed with changes to Marksman and Vull so now it is quite solid, especially in this Vergon priest meta since Hammer messes their Resurrection and you can make a lot of burst damage. I won a pop up with it and also got 11 win streak to put me at the top of Rothem leaderboard. If I am to classify it, it would be midrange, but leaning more towards control side. Also, given the nature of Rothem's ability, it has some combo elements since you can produce lot of damage with weapon and Krygons.

Deck isn't easy to play, and you will often need to make plays having turn or two in the future in mind. In the early game you usually want Bladedancers on T2. Crippling Blow isn't the most optimal play early since those crippled allies will end up as target for Cultist + Devourer, making trades very inefficient. That is why even going second, unless facing a very aggressive deck I would even sac Crippling Blows if I have Culitist or Devourer in hand. On T3 if you stick Bladedancer on the board and they have played T2 or T3 ally, Krygon is optimal play. Bladedancer + Krygon kill most 2cc allies and a lot of 3cc. Otherwise play Blood Frenzy. T4 can be tricky depending how aggressive your opponent is. Usually the most optimal play is Cultist + Hammer so you can retrieve the hammer on T5 with Reserve Weapon. If that is too slow play than Cultist + Devourer or Marksman or Krygon is preferred play. Once you get hammer online you can use Marksman, Krygon ping, Cultist + Devourer to combo with the weapon to kill off opposing allies. So midgame is about control, trying to get few hits on the hero and stick an ally or two on the board. Unless you are significantly ahead, Rothem's ability is too be used for control at this point. This is where Barbarian comes in handy since he can help clear the board and he presents a big threat for second ability use (in the early game you are free to sacrifice Barbarian, 3/4 on turn 4 is just terrible). Once you are nearing that second ability use, be aware of total damage output you can produce. Try to save 2 or 3 Krygons for that. 2 Krygons + 3 attack hammer is 14 damage output. Get an ally or 2 to stay on the board and you should have enough to close the game.

Vull is not necessary part of the deck but it is nice addition. He makes Krygon and Cultist + Devourer into Fireballs towards opposing ally, with body attached to it. It is also +1 to your weapon. Helps against occasional Moonstalker and can help take down Kion. With steadfast he is very annoying for control priest to deal with. If he is too expensive for you, you can replace him with 4th Crippling Blow, Sinkhole (especially if you face a lot of attachment priests) or Stun Turret.

Some gameplay:

Cheers.
    Last edited by Veles; 08-17-2018 at 08:52 AM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Some gameplay as promised:

I had to go through 2 Kions to win it!

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks to chat with TJ Starval and few more games, I bring an updated version of the deck, now with a deck code for ease of use! I hope this list can help break the stigma about Rothem being one of the worst heroes. This build can challenge many high tier decks.

Hero: Rothem, King of Layar (41 cards)

Ally (21):
    4x Yari Bladedancer
    4x Rampant Krygon
    4x Brimstone Devourer
    4x Falseblood Cultist
    4x Yari Marksman
    1x Vull the Insatiable

Ability (10):
    3x Crippling Blow
    1x Smashing Blow
    4x Blood Frenzy
    1x Enrage
    1x Rampage

Item (9):
    1x Stun Turret
    4x Reserve Weapon
    4x Lythian Sledgehammer

Deck Code: 863282B
    Last edited by Veles; 07-22-2018 at 07:31 PM.

― Nikola Tesla