Close

Threaded View

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Nomenclature and abbreviations guide for beginners

I was thinking about the time when I started playing, and now by the time I came back...

it's one thing always bothering me, how hard it is to start playing when you already have a good number of players and these players are already accustomed with the letters, nomeclatures and languages, not only of a specific game, but, the modality in general.

It Seems simple, especially for those who are already accustomed, but speaking from the vision of who had problems with it, both in the beginning and in return, I can guarantee that, not being able to decipher some abbreviations, nomeclatures and languages ​​can be quite challenging.

the intention is that, this is a place where the beginners can always take the doubts and not be discouraged because they are not on "the same level as the others"

So, if anyone can contribute, with some words, and/or formats of play abbreviated it could help a lot...

Just remember, when you suggest an format like "pup up" make sure you explain how it works too.

Below are some abbreviations and suggested nomenclatures that can be found in the comments, just decided to put them here to get easier and organized, but, I express here my many thanks and recognition to all who helped and can continue Helping

Best Wishes, Soulless One

---------------------------//-----------------------------------

Pop up: an SE tournament that takes place in a single day. It's usually short in duration (around 3 hours) and it can be with as few as 8 players (nowadays 8-16 players is the norm). Rules may vary based on the organizer but standard ones are: Bo3, Single Elimination, deck lock. You usually sign up in TG organized play chat.

Bo3: best of 3 means that whoever wins 2 games qualifies in the next round.
    Single Elimination: if you win your Bo3 match you qualify and if you lose it you are out.
    Bo3: best of 3 means that whoever wins 2 games qualifies in the next round.
    Single Elimination: if you win your Bo3 match you qualify and if you lose it you are out.

Tournament: Usually a multi-week event with one round per week. Again rules vary a lot here. You sign up in SE forums as this requires a registration thread.

TO: tournament organizer, i.e. whoever is hosting the pop up or tournament. He/She is usually responsible for keeping track of the registration, creates the registration thread, creates the pairings (aka brackets), updates the results and is in charge to make a decision in a case of a dispute.

---------------------------//-----------------------------

About the decks:

Rush: a strategy based around lowering your opponents life total generally ignoring their board state.

Death Race: a play style focused on lowering your opponents life total ignoring everything, including your own.

Mid-range: a strategy that aims to control the board and leverage that to win.

Control: a strategy aimed at first denying your opponent their win condition before building up your own.

Win Con or Win Condition: the main plan behind your deck for how it will win a game.

Fatties: allies that are higher cost and tend to be harder to kill.

---------------------------//---------------------------------

Abbreviations commonly used for matches and tournaments:

Bo3/ Bo5/ Bo7 = Best of 3/5/7 matches wins...

Alternate start = 1st game is random and i.e. player A goes first 2nd game player B has Fta and has to create the match while checking creator goes first box while they create the game.
    3rd game is random again.
    In case of a bo5
    4th game is started by whoever went 2nd in the 3rd game
    5th is random again.
    Repeat steps for a bo7

--------------------------//----------------------------------

Abbreviations for some cards:

WARRIORS
    BF - Blood Frenzy
    SB - Smashing Blow
    CB - Crippling Blow
    TKP - The King’s Pride

HUNTERS
    SS - Soul Seeker

MAGES
    ToK - Tome of Knowledge
    FB - Fire Ball
    LS - Lightning Strike

ROGUES
    IGG - Ill Gotten Gains
    AB - Ankle Breaker

PRIEST
    TKP - The King’s Pride
    ToB - Tome of Blessings
    FP - Focused Prayer

WULVEN
    NYM - Now You’re Mine
    DFA - Death From Above
    CP - Captured Prey
    LH - Lightning Hunter
    BM - Blood Moon

ELEMENTAL
    MC - Mind Control
    ED - Energy Discharge
    SR - Soul Reaper

Neutral
    TO - Tainted Oracle or Tournament Organizer
    QM - Quick Match
    BS - Bad Santa

PotL = Priest of the Light
    DMT = Death Mage Thaddeus
    FP = Focus Prayer
    ST = Stop Thief or Sever Ties
    SoV = Shriek of Vengeance
    HBM = Here be Monsters
    LLN = Ley Line Nexus
    WotF = Wrath of the Forest
    VoW = Voice of Winter
    FFM = Fleet-footed messenger
    SoE = Sorcerer of Endia
    CoF = Confluence of Fate
    ALR = A Legend Rises

FTA = First Turn Advantage

GLHF = Good Luck Have Fun

GGWP = Good Game Well Played
    Last edited by lsoliveira1718; 05-17-2018 at 04:21 AM.