Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Unable to Farm Gold?

Hey all,

Downloaded Shadow Era and am enjoying the game. I'd like to build some larger decks, of course, which means I need to buy some cards, which means I need some gold, so I need to farm some gold.

I had been playing vs the computer to attain gold. Suddenly, however, my reward for winning games at levels I had already defeated dropped to 0.

What is going on?

Thank you.

Smaug_

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Unable to Farm Gold?

Hi Smaug,

We had to remove the Gold reward for doing the same mission over and over because that kind of "work-like" grinding is not in the interest of us or the player.

What we wish to incentivize is moving onto each new mission to let the story unfold and be challenged in new ways (with Gold for each completed) and also playing Rated Multiplayer (with 80 Gold for each win). There's also the free Meltdown mode.

Gold for doing the same mission repeatedly worked against these incentives because it was the most efficient approach. The Gold per mission was set based on expecting people to move on each time as well, so it was either cut what was given each time or keep it higher but give none for a repeat.

There's no doubt it is harder to grow a collection for free without this trick, so we have opted to just give everyone more cards from the outset (you should have got 3 packs of Call of the Crystals when you made your account) to help you progress and reduce the need for the "work" in the first place.

Did you get your free packs from shadowera.com/welcome yet?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I know if I were just starting out, I'd likely spend some money buying the monthly special...that 2700 SC would set you up well, plus you'd have some nice playmats and sleeves.
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that each hero has their own campaign to play through for free and earn gold, and you get 25 Shadow Crystals when you level them up (which is very easy in early levels). Most new players have no chance of discovering this or trying it when you can play mission 1 for your first hero over and over for decent gold.

p.s. Welcome to the game!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Hi Smaug,

We had to remove the Gold reward for doing the same mission over and over because that kind of "work-like" grinding is not in the interest of us or the player.

What we wish to incentivize is moving onto each new mission to let the story unfold and be challenged in new ways (with Gold for each completed) and also playing Rated Multiplayer (with 80 Gold for each win). There's also the free Meltdown mode.

Gold for doing the same mission repeatedly worked against these incentives because it was the most efficient approach. The Gold per mission was set based on expecting people to move on each time as well, so it was either cut what was given each time or keep it higher but give none for a repeat.

There's no doubt it is harder to grow a collection for free without this trick, so we have opted to just give everyone more cards from the outset (you should have got 3 packs of Call of the Crystals when you made your account) to help you progress and reduce the need for the "work" in the first place.

Did you get your free packs from shadowera.com/welcome yet?
    Thanks for the information! I have not gotten my welcome packs yet, so I'll pursue that.

I actually would prefer to progress through the campaign as opposed to re-fighting. However, it is very difficult in the beginning.

In order to progress through the campaign I feel I need a better deck, and in order for that I need gold.....so I am at an impasse. I have done a bit of multiplayer, but other players decks are better than mine.

It is frustrating because it has nothing to do with my ability to build a deck.

I'll get those welcome packs and hopefully it will help. But, what do I do if I reach a stage where I cannot seem to move on due to the difficulty, cannot raise gold to improve my deck, and don't fare well in multiplayer?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaug_ View Post

I'll get those welcome packs and hopefully it will help. But, what do I do if I reach a stage where I cannot seem to move on due to the difficulty, cannot raise gold to improve my deck, and don't fare well in multiplayer?
    It should help a lot because you can sell the contents for about 8000 gold.

If you're still stuck, we give a free card every day in the Daily Chest and swapping the hero in your current deck for another of the same faction and class (e.g. Boris for Amber) will open up another campaign. Multiplayer pairs by rating so you should end up against people you can beat eventually and you will get ideas and varied experiences. You might even meet some nice people who will give more advice (ask on the Global Chat).

The best route to quicker progress, of course, is spending some money, which is much appreciated because it funds future development.

Good luck!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    It should help a lot because you can sell the contents for about 8000 gold.

If you're still stuck, we give a free card every day in the Daily Chest and swapping the hero in your current deck for another of the same faction and class (e.g. Boris for Amber) will open up another campaign. Multiplayer pairs by rating so you should end up against people you can beat eventually and you will get ideas and varied experiences. You might even meet some nice people who will give more advice (ask on the Global Chat).

The best route to quicker progress, of course, is spending some money, which is much appreciated because it funds future development.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the rapid reply.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome to Shadow Era Smaug

As a new player, i wouldn’t start with a big deck tho. Small decks [40-42 cards] have more consistency and you will find your key cards like your draw engine, item destructions and abilities much faster.

The campaign story is something you need to start for farming gold but i personally find that multiplayer is much more exciting. You can see and learn all kind of decks possible. Ofc i do understand that it isn’t funny losing constantly coz other people have better decks or more experiences than you. So i would suggest you to try this deck for starting in multiplayer. Its very easy to master. I believe after a few losses, you will do better and better
    A1 Burnout1985

I always believed in myself and did well,
    but joining A1 took me the next level. Curious how?

Click here to know how to join A1

-Ladder 1st score: season 67, 66, 62, 61, 58, 49, 37, 35, 34, 30
    -Ladder 1st rating: season 67, 66, 63, 58, 57, 54, 53, 49, 47, 36
    -Tournament won: WORLD CHAMPION 2016, Spagetthi IV, The Fall Seasonal Championship , Bounty Price II, SLUGFEST IX, Highlander II

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    [Hero]- Eladwen Frostmire

[20x creatures]

- 4x krystoffer wyld
    - 4x layarian knight
    - 4x aldon the brave
    - 4x layarian seductress
    - 4x tainted oracle

[18x abilities]

- 4x bad santa
    - 4x fireball
    - 4x subdue
    - 3x lightning strike
    - 3x super nova

[2x item destruction]

- 2x ley line nexus
    A1 Burnout1985

I always believed in myself and did well,
    but joining A1 took me the next level. Curious how?

Click here to know how to join A1

-Ladder 1st score: season 67, 66, 62, 61, 58, 49, 37, 35, 34, 30
    -Ladder 1st rating: season 67, 66, 63, 58, 57, 54, 53, 49, 47, 36
    -Tournament won: WORLD CHAMPION 2016, Spagetthi IV, The Fall Seasonal Championship , Bounty Price II, SLUGFEST IX, Highlander II

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Which hero did you start with? Maybe we can help you build your deck. I personally hate playing as mage, but burnout's suggestion would give you an easy deck to use.
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn