Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

1cc Ally Pluses and Minuses

Note: Some cards in flux. Current as of 8/4/11 9:47 am

So we all know of them. Some people swear by them, some think they are a waste. Here we will discuss the benefits of adding 1cc Allies to your decks and the problems they might cause you as well as your opponent.

First, let's go through them in no particular order:

Fire Snake - Shadow - 1/2

Spark - Elemental - 1/1 "Gain +1/+1 for each additional spark in play"

Kristoffer Wyld - Human - 1/1 "Deals +1 damage to Heroes."

Brigitte Skullborn - Human - 0/2 "Protector"

Hellsteed - Shadow - 0/1 - "The first ally to attack, other than hellsteed, gets +2/+0"

To pregame this discussion, I am of the belief that this game is SEVERELY lacking 1cc and 2cc allies. An ally like Hellsteed or Skullborn wouldn't be as dominant to first turn board control if there were options such as a 1cc 1/1 with haste or a 2cc 3/1 with haste that dies at the end of turn. Haste is a much needed early ability so combos like "Skullborn+Puwen+Aldon" can't go off so devastatingly.

Now, because of this apparent lack of options early, going first gets blamed again. I disagree. I think going first even with the first strike mechanic is fine. If this game were to beef up it's 1cc and 2cc haste and to a lesser extent "defender" ranks, you'd see much more balance and cards could be judged more fairly. As it stands, hellsteed is probably getting nerfed (I agree it shouldn't stack, but the card itself is fine). Hopefully something is done with Skullborn as well because protector has no place on turn 1 with no real option to deal with it before his friends follow. This essentially solidifies first turn advantage for the human player against shadow an extra turn. Not good for the game.

Ok, time for the meat and potatoes: The benefits and downsides of "weenies" and why you should add them. The benefits are obvious, you get board control or you can fight for it much earlier. You can also use that last bit of floating resources on mid turns. The downside is that late game, they are dead drops and some allies are so weak, you can't even play them going second vs most decks. You have to take a look at your deck and decide if you can outweigh the late game burden with the positives of early control. Decks with above average draw capabilities should have no problem cycling through late weenies.

Why should you add them? Damage and support. No one looks at a fire snake and says "Wow! 3-4 damage before it dies!" but they should. Weenies have the ability to add substantial damage when ignored and can team up with fat allies to keep damage off them by attacking first or tack on damage to lightning strike type cards.

Weenies can also benefit your curve nicely by giving you filler for turn 1 and beyond. Casting a belladonna on turn 5 after a portal? Hellsteed can be played as well for added damage. Casting a jasmine on turn 4? Protect her from burn with Skullborn. These are just a few scenarios where weenies can be fillers to establish dominance mid game.

Now, what weenies to choose? Fire Snake or Spark for my Zaladar? On the plus side, fire snake can be dropped by the second player in a mirror match and dominate a sole spark. On the minus side, the spark may be traveling in packs, devasting your fire snake and even some 2cc allies and beyond like carniboar, Bella and crippling the shotgun chimera.

Should I run Kristoffer Wyld or save the slot for puwens and blakes? Does Kristoffer offer significant board presence over Blake? After Wyld was changed to 2 dmg to heroes instead of allies, he is no longer relevant over the much better Skullborn. Of course, this game never stops changing so as a protection against the nerd train this thread was current 8/4/11 at 9:47 am. Ha

Should I run more weenies now that everyone else is running weenies? Which are best for defense? Offense? What do I have to cut to add 4 hellsteeds? Do i need bloodlust now because hellsteed is a zero attack and humans have a new way to cripple allies? These are questions that you can only answer on a deck by deck basis. Playtesting and the hivemind (these forums) will help you make these decisions. You're not alone!

In a 30 card format choosing fragile weenies over the usual "4 of" beast cards can be a hard pill to swallow but if you make the hard choices now, you'll be making steps to be a finely tuned machine the next time you step onto the field of battle. Happy deck building.
    Last edited by Killtrend; 08-04-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    3.5 "Gravebella Beatdown" || KillTrend's Live Commentary
    A1 Elder
    Ingame Handles: A1 Killtrend

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wow, this thread is not anywhere mere the quality of the one you made yesterday. I'm so disappointed in you. On a more serious note this was a very good read with plenty of excellent information.
    Last edited by CodeDomination; 08-04-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I wish Kristoffer was +1 dmg against allies....

He was changed to +1 against heroes and its really lame.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynn View Post
    I wish Kristoffer was +1 dmg against allies....

He was changed to +1 against heroes and its really lame.
    Well, that's a fail. I'll adjust the first post.
    A1 Elder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think that with low cots allies for both human and shadow, gaining control back going second is harder, not easier since whoever goes first can gain board presence early and just maintain it then on.
    Grand Watchman of the Ancient Blue Citadel
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

Don't just witness the greatness;
    Stride with us.

To join the demonstrably greatest guild in the history of Shadow Era - click here

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Padawan Pete View Post
    I think that with low cots allies for both human and shadow, gaining control back going second is harder, not easier since whoever goes first can gain board presence early and just maintain it then on.
    Which is why this game desperately needs 1 and 2cc haste allies.
    A1 Elder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Killtrend View Post
    Which is why this game desperately needs 1 and 2cc haste allies.
    Yes I agree, all 1 cost allies should haste as they are so small they not get tired (ha ha) and this would make them useful mid game also. I dont see why we dont just complain like we always do until this gets implemented.
    Grand Watchman of the Ancient Blue Citadel
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.

Don't just witness the greatness;
    Stride with us.

To join the demonstrably greatest guild in the history of Shadow Era - click here

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I doubt they will change the current 1 drops, but we can certainly complain for hopes of a better tomorrow.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeDomination View Post
    I doubt they will change the current 1 drops, but we can certainly complain for hopes of a better tomorrow.
    I don't want a change, I want an addition. The cards they got, whatever, they're fine. But we need haste allies.
    A1 Elder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    of course we will be recieving haste allies.

they're implementing the feature into lance's ability, and they already had it for portal - it would just be off for them to NOT include haste creatures.

it's not a question of if, but when.