Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Advices for Eladwen Freezing Control Deck?

Hi all,

My current deck is based upon gaining board control via freezing opposing allies and playing ice allies (eg. Stalactitan and Frosted Urigon) and burning magics (eg. Fireballs and Lightning Strikes), composed of as follows:

Eladwen Deck (Total: 41 cards; current rating: 200)

Allies:
    Cinderborn Fatebreaker x3
    Stalactitan x3
    Frosted Urigon x2

Draw Mechanisms:
    Bad Santa x3
    Bazaar x4

Burning Magics:
    Fireball x4
    Lightning Strike x4
    Supernova x3

For Freezing and Board Control:
    Retreat! x4
    Shatter Ice x3
    Urigon's Fang x2
    Voice of Winter x3
    Snow Sapphire x2

I found the draw somewhat weak. And the deck has been troubled when dealing with so many allies that don't need to be "summoned" from hand (because they wouldn't be frozen), as well as when playing against resource-controlling decks and small-cc allies death race decks. And I think a serious problem with my deck is the lack of item-removal. Should I get rid of some burning magics and add more powerful allies? Any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would consider removing some direct damage spells (I don't like Supernova at all for this strategy) and going with spells that weaken allies but keep them on the board for the Stalactitan to grow. Here's a little something I just thought up but haven't played yet.

Vigilant Wisp x4
    Entangled Wisp x4
    Stalactitan x4
    Thunderstrike Construct x4

Freezing Grip x3
    Retreat! x4
    Subdue x4
    Bad Santa x2
    Transmogrification Curse x2

Tome of Knowledge x4
    Voice of Winter x4

This gives a pretty strong ally presence by going all Homunculus. Other cards to consider: Fireball, Lightning Strike, Consuming Fear, Shatter Ice, Cinderborn Fatebreaker, Spontaneous Growth, Living Ice Wall, Suspended Animation, and I'm sure there's others...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would definitely bump the number of Voice of Winter to 4. It is a key card for your strategy. In general there are two ways to go about freeze mage atm. One is direct damage, spell heavy build that uses freezes to simply ignore the board and use direct damage on the hero. In that build Supernova is ok-ish but not ideal since opponents can easily aggro you early on. Another version is using Transmogrification Curse, Incendiary Curse, Subdue, Poison Gas, Engulfing Flames to do lots of ping damage to opponent while controlling the board with the rest of direct damage ad removal. Having allies in both version isn't very effective since it should not be a problem for the opponent to remove them being very low tempo plays. My suggestion is is to at least drop some allies and add Subdue instead. It deals damage to opponent and stops early damage, so it fits your deck very well.

Here are some decklists you may also find useful:
    For an ally based freeze Elad: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....Doctor-Eladwen
    For the ping type control mage: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ry-Curse-deck) - my own deck which I would update with subdue by removing Arsonist and probably couple of more changes.
    Last edited by Veles; 04-23-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My suggestion is to go stall burn (whether its NPE that’s another thing).

As Veles said freeze Eladwen with allies is not so effective. It’s better you focus on defence/stall + spell damages/ping for win.