Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

A warning about cards that seek on summon...

I left when SF was still mostly placeholder images. I recently came back from a long break and found that there are a bunch of new cards, awesome. Almost all of it seems to be pretty well balanced but one thing stood out to me as being way too powerful; the allies that search a card and add it to your hand on summon (Braxnorian Weaponsmith, Krugal Trapper and maybe some other ones idk).

This mechanic seems REALLY strong, maybe overly so. I played some Amber today and had a 6 game winning streak, with 4 Braxnorian Weaponsmith putting in serious work. I haven't really tried out the Krugal guy a lot but he looks strong too.

Amber now has the ability to mitigate the damage of not having Blood Frenzy on Turn 3 by at least ensuring that she has Jeweller's dream for Turn 4 while also going +1 in card advantage. She can also search Spectral Sabre (which just got a lot stronger) on a whim if she needs to deal with an attachment.

I don't know whether this has already been discussed, but either way I'm going to be spamming Amber in rated until the new Braxnorian guy gets nerfed, if he ever does. He's just too good.

Tl;dr Costless +1's on summon are generally not healthy. Even less healthy when you get to choose what card you want.
    GMT +13
    IGN: Exterminans
    Champion of Shadow Era for New Zealand
    Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdrJmXzISs

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As long as there are sufficient seek abilities for all classes, I don't see any issue here. I would even argue that the developers need to "push the envelope" when it comes to more powerful abilities. For two reasons: 1) in a rock/paper/scissors game like this, cards that lend themselves to consistency end up making the game more skill based than luck based. The more "seeks" there are, the less you lose to bad draws. 2) The "X unit gets +X/+X if this condition is met" is boring as hell. That horse died long ago and the design concept continues to beat it. I welcome all kinds of new abilities like Seek!
    Currently 53-20 in organized play for 2018

Black Templars - No Remorse, No Fear, No Pity

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, there was going to be a rogue ally in the new set that let you get an item with cost 5 or less on summon (and had stealth while you had no items to boot), but it got nerfed to heck before the official release. Maybe Weaponsmith will suffer the same fate in a future update.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't like these new cards, and General of Unaxio as well. And the worst is the new Yari Marksman, it's too OP, now it can kill anyone he want, not only "3 choose 1".

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ericxp View Post
    I don't like these new cards, and General of Unaxio as well. And the worst is the new Yari Marksman, it's too OP, now it can kill anyone he want, not only "3 choose 1".
    I still dont understand why some think marksman was nerfed...he was clearly buffed.
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Most seek cards that were too strong from earlier sets were nerfed to cost 2SE to activate seek ability. Seeking for free on summon seems insane. And most heroes don't have access to a good 1cc ally, yet elementals get a 1cc with 4 health and steadfast that can be easily buffed in attack. Most of the new set seems pretty well balanced so far otherwise though. I'm sure some things will still change but overall they did a good job with this release (even though rogue additions suck overall...so much so that not one new rogue ally has found it's way to stick in my Garth...and I'm using 81 cards!)
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Marksman is definitely stronger than he used to be, whereas they totally gutted Sorcerer of Endia.

That Elemental ally is way too overloaded for his cost. Why the hell does a 1cc have steadfast lmao.

Braxnorian Weaponsmith is arguably the most broken out of all of those seek on summon allies because of how he can be abused by Amber. He actually gives you the option of not using Blood Frenzy asap. Now on turn 3 instead of being forced to use Blood Frenzy and lose tempo, you can summon this guy and go +1 in card advantage by searching Jeweller's Dream, drop it on turn 4 and then on turn 5 you can Blood Frenzy and drop a 3cc ally on the same turn. He's actually bonkers, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they changed his ability to stacking your deck with a weapon rather than adding it to hand. But like I said, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts
    GMT +13
    IGN: Exterminans
    Champion of Shadow Era for New Zealand
    Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdrJmXzISs

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Mann View Post
    I still dont understand why some think marksman was nerfed...he was clearly buffed.
    It's a bit of a nerf for stall Vess isn't it? I think that's why the change was made. But yeah, seems like a huge boost in a Yari deck - much more powerful as a T4 drop or later if you've already got allies on the board due to the ability not requiring 3 opposing allies to benefit you and increased staying power with 4 hp instead of 2.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

A warning about cards that seek on summon...

Most seek cards that were too strong from earlier sets were nerfed to cost 2SE to activate seek ability. Seeking for free on summon seems insane. And most heroes don't have access to a good 1cc ally, yet elementals get a 1cc with 4 health and steadfast that can be easily buffed in attack. Most of the new set seems pretty well balanced so far otherwise though. I'm sure some things will still change but overall they did a good job with this release (even though rogue additions suck overall...so much so that not one new rogue ally has found it's way to stick in my Garth...and I'm using 81 cards!)
    yea... covert op is pretty dope but that’s about it. rogues got some cute things but srsly? every other class can kill u by T5 now.
    Last edited by Jets; 04-19-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mann, I'm same with you, 80 cards Garth too, do you know who am I now?
    Yes the new cards for rogue are all very weak, include black rose. They are none useful for Garth at all. The only new card I put in my deck is, guess what, Stun Turret, I use it instead of poor Diplomat. OK so the new set buff Warrior, Mage, Priest, Elemental and Hunter a lot, but give rogue a piece of shit.