Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Serena Homecoming 3.60

It feels like it's been a long time coming. I've been meaning to make a functional deck like this with Serena for a long time and it's just now possible in 3.60. thank you devs for finally bringing Serena home.

I've always felt like Serena's Hero ability was always pushed to the background. it was cool for sure to make your opponent discard but I was never able to build a deck that uses it as a main goal until now. I hope you guys have as much fun with this deck as I have.

41 cards (Hero+40)

Serena Thoughtripper

Allies:
    Grave Robber-4
    Covert Operative-4
    Aetherborn Wisp-4
    Tenacious Buccaneer-4
    Aldmor Artisan-3

Abilities:
    Retreat-2
    Pay Day-4
    Elicit Information-2

Items:
    Loom of Fate-4
    Dagger of Unmaking-4
    Thoughtripper's Cutlass-2
    Disguise Kit-3

The goal of this Deck is to control your opponent's hand (feels good to say that out loud). Loom of fate should always be out if possible. Don't be afraid to open turn 3 with Pay day to get the party started early.

Use Loom of fate and bounce cards (i.e. Retreat) to control tempo and push your opponent's hand back up to 4 cards to get the discard from Pay Day and get a free card for yourself. Be sure to make your opponent discard while Aetherborn is in play to beef him up and/or keep the heat off your hero. Feel free to sideboard in Confluence of Fate and maybe some Disrupt Aura for some item and attachment control. If you ever need an ally to feed to Disguise kit try to use Tenacious Buccaneer she still counts as a discard for the Wisp.

Any time after T3 you can use Grave Digger to get board advantage with Buccaneer along with an extra card from your opponent's grave and a little boost for Aether born with the discard.

DoU is invaluable since it can both bounce opposing allies and be used with Serena's ability to eat your opponent's hand. Be sure to keep Covert Operative in hand for a quick bounce or something to feed to Disguise kit. In a pinch if you need discard use a retreat on Tenacious Buccaneer then feed her to DK and start all over again.

This deck is really fun to play and it's satisfying to win. Most of all it's good to see Serena where she belongs
    Last edited by Steedious; 04-11-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It looks fun but I don’t think this is a competitive build at all

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    With so much bounce but no assassination or black garb, how will you deal with allies with "steadfast"???
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    It looks fun but I don’t think this is a competitive build at all
    I get why you'd think that but I've been waiting since Dark Prophesies to make this deck for Serena. Besides "Serena standard" Garth and Lance can do everything better than Serena. I made this deck to break the glass ceiling for my favorite hero and hopefully change the way that others use her a little.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Steedious View Post
    I get why you'd think that but I've been waiting since Dark Prophesies to make this deck for Serena. Besides "Serena standard" Garth and Lance can do everything better than Serena. I made this deck to break the glass ceiling for my favorite hero and hopefully change the way that others use her a little.

this deck is all about bouncing cards and going all in on the discard theme which is fun, but killing cards and forcing discards is stronger becuz it starves your opponent hand instead of growing it. anyway, I was actually thinking about making a deck like this. I would put Lyra in there, she forces a discard if they use shadow energy.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I built a similar deck and the change I would definitely make to yours is to add Black Garb to deal with early board and late game fatties.

Also Pay Day and Loom is bit too cute imo. More competitive approach is to still have IGG. Master of Disquise is also a good ally for discards but even on board she can chip away hp of allies for you to finish them off via Cutlass. You can also recycle Graverobber via Master so that means more stealing from graveyard.
    Last edited by Veles; 04-12-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    I built a similar deck and the change I would definitely make to yours is to add Black Garb to deal with early board and late game fatties.

Also Pay Day and Loom is bit too cute imo. More competitive approach is to still have IGG. Master of Disquise is also a good ally for discards but even on board she can chip away hp of allies for you to finish them off via Cutlass. You can also recycle Graverobber via Master so that means more stealing from graveyard.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I agree with all your points but it really upsets me how much better IGG is than Elicit Information even in a deck focused on discarding. I'm not saying that I think EI should be just as good as IGG but that it's cost should be knocked down to 3cc.I know that won't happen for reasons but that would make it at least useable.

The truth is that I wanted to make this deck to show how underpowered a number of these cards are. Elicit information and Pay Day especially.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I needed a Serena deck for SEF and was tired of the same old builds. This sounded interesting so I gave it a shot, as I enjoy things out of the box. It was fun to play and got my wins fast, but more importantly helped me learn some different mechanics and ways of thinking about things. I didn't find many steadfast to be a problem. Even if you can't bounce them back they can be killed. It did not take long to have a beefed up wisp, At least enough to finish or begin finishing a big steadfast. Keep up the good work.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Serena Still slow
    In-game name = TJ FallenAngel