Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thoughts on 45+ card decks

So. I am a newbie here. I have had some light interactions with ygo, mtg and hs and have come to the conclusion that 40 card decks (current min size) are the best due to consistency and simplicity. I have however come across many ~60 card decks with Elemental heroes or Gravebone.

They had a lot of innate card destruction or discards in general and really put me on the clock. I managed to get some tight wins or a couple of swarms but there were times I was feeling almost helpless against them.

I can tell that my current deck is bad and that it lacks a strict win condition or combo ending up stalling which is very, very bad in such cases but I wanted to get other people's opinion on them.

Are 60 card decks good or bad and why? I can tell they can generate another win condition by mass drawing and discarding cards, but is it worth the inconsistency? Have there been 60 card decks that won tourneys and if so which ones? Also since I am running into decks with more cards than mine, should I increase my deck size as well to compensate?
    Last edited by TheFast; 04-08-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It really depends on your hero and also your build. Many heroes I use the min deck size because I need key cards as early as possible. I personally use the max deck size with my Monster Garth build though, and I enjoy that deck the most. You must have draw no matter deck size though.
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am testing things out for now. I have a very old but surprisingly effective Serena deck and a trolly, unfocused Nishaven one. I am planning on making a Human homunculus deck and further explore portal decks possibilities. I do include 6+ draw but I do imagine that as the deck gets bigger drawing and especially seeking becomes more important.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFast View Post
    I am testing things out for now. I have a very old but surprisingly effective Serena deck and a trolly, unfocused Nishaven one. I am planning on making a Human homunculus deck and further explore portal decks possibilities. I do include 6+ draw but I do imagine that as the deck gets bigger drawing and especially seeking becomes more important.
    I'd recommend 20-25% of your deck be draw cards. Cards like Night Owl and other cantrips count as half a draw.
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hm nice thanks for the advice. I will do so.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It also depends on other factors, like what's the cc curve (a tiny aggro will need a more consistent draw), how effectively can you manage one card per turn if your draw gets destroyed. I had a Zaladar that could sometimes stop at 5 resources thanks to 4x Mind Control, 4x Shadow Font and an already decent board.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thoughts on 45+ card decks

Hm nice thanks for the advice. I will do so.
    ^ good advice from a top 20 player... the game is too fast now, you need more draw.

IGG is your main engine, Hit List is like a rogue version of sac lamb. Night Owl gives u a card when he dies, Rabble Rouser gives a card when summoned. Cutlass gives you cards with Serenas ability. Oliver Fagin is a beast... SE is very tribal right now, look in your class cards for the best synergies.
    Last edited by Jets; 04-08-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I have actively tried to speed up my deck with huge draw cards (amulet) and other forms of things like eastroad bandit. I have tried to make a portal deck that instead of slowing the game to its preffered pace, it tried to speed itself up to get the job done. Its cute but some aspects of it feel rather lackluster so Iam thinking of posting it for some feedback

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I have actively tried to speed up my deck with huge draw cards (amulet) and other forms of things like eastroad bandit. I have tried to make a portal deck that instead of slowing the game to its preffered pace, it tried to speed itself up to get the job done. Its cute but some aspects of it feel rather lackluster so Iam thinking of posting it for some feedback
    That is a good idea! I am sure there are forum users willing to help out.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well...couple of years ago the min size was 30, and every deck was super refined and consistency.

When more cards were released, the limit was raised to 40 to allow for more strategy. I think it’s a sign of evolution of the game.

There is a recent trend to play larger decks because you can out play your opponent in the end, but in the meantime you sacrifice consistency.

I still stick to the Bible of min deck size, because when your deck is refined enough the game should be decided by Turn 5. That’s the most important 5 turns of the game where you want to pull out your best strategy.

Besides, I don’t want to drag games for unreasonably long….except when I am playing mill decks lol.