Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Ban List for Rated in v3.60

As previously mentioned in the v3.55 Playtesting Update, we will be enforcing a Ban List for Rated Multiplayer matches in v3.60. Please note that Unrated, Campaign and Meltdown will be unaffected.

BAN LIST FOR RATED IN V3.60

These cards are not usable in Rated Multiplayer in v3.60, but can still be used in Unrated, Campaign and Meltdown:

- Into the Forest
    - Lay Low
    - Soul Reaper
    - Armor of Ages
    - Crescendo

RATIONALE

We have created a Ban List and chosen these five cards for it because:
    - It is the shared belief of the Shadow Era Design Team that having these five cards in the game does more harm than good.
    - All five of these cards have been specifically mentioned in complaints about "stall decks" and "negative playing experiences" for the past seven years, with a marked increase over the past year.
    - Implementing a trial Ban List for v3.60 is a very very low cost way to both test our hypothesis that the game will be better without these cards and also attempt to improve the environment in response to the player complaints.

WHY NOT INCLUDE OTHER CARDS?

We know other cards have been suggested to be banned (e.g. Rain Delay), but we can currently see enough redeeming qualities in them that make them worth keeping.

These five cards (Into the Forest, Lay Low, Soul Reaper, Armor of Ages and Crescendo), on the other hand, would never be designed and added into the game today because they enable and promote a type of playing style that the vast majority of people dislike facing, which really is not great for player retainment!

FUTURE PLANS

After we have had time to witness the impact of the Ban List, we will be able to make a much more informed decision from the options available to us.

For example, for each individual card, we could:
    - Keep that card on the Ban List permanently and compensate any players with that card for the playability restriction we have imposed.
    - Design a new card based on the redeeming features of the original, which can be given free to any players owning the banned card.
    - Add that card to a Restricted List where only 1 or 2 copies are permitted in a deck.
    - Remove that card from the Ban List and admit actually it does have a place in the game.
    - Errata the card in an attempt to make it not so harmful.

These are listed in order of likelihood based on what we know today, but they are all potential options to consider for each of these cards (and any others that raise their ugly heads in the future).

COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS?

We understand some people will not be happy about this move, even if it may only be temporary to gather information, so feel free to air your grievances below! Similarly, please post any questions you have ... or even positive feedback about this.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    Good explanation. How long will the test period be? And will these cards be automatically withheld from rated?
    After the April season we will evaluate the impact of the bans on the game. Cards are automatically withheld from rated. If anyone tries to play a deck with banned cards in rated they will be prevented from starting ranked game and instead get notification to remove banned cards from their deck.
    Last edited by Veles; 03-29-2018 at 03:15 AM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If your going to ban cards at least ban cards from every faction. I don't see any Priest cards on the ban list. I was going to say Tidal Wave but if you do Tidal Wave you have to do Supernova. How about a card that I see a lot either Zail's Hymn or Forgiveness or even Embers but I know a lot of players would gripe at that option IMO.

An option after determining if card does actually improve game play. I would suggest that maybe all cards in question have a Lose one Resource when played. Maybe that will deter people from using these cards. Have some type of stipulation on playing these cards. Another Idea would be how about card is permanently exiled after use and cannot be returned by any exile ability.
    Last edited by Christopher M Turro; 03-29-2018 at 03:27 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher M Turro View Post
    If your going to ban cards at least ban cards from every faction. I don't see any Priest cards on the ban list. I was going to say Tidal Wave but if you do Tidal Wave you have to do Supernova. How about a card that I see a lot either Zail's Hymn or Forgiveness or even Embers but I know a lot of players would gripe at that option IMO.
    Zails Hymn is not really a strong card. 3 cost attachment that only prevents physical attacks. A little worse and more expensive than Crippling Blow

Forgiveness... I would like to hear why you think this should be banned.

Embers is hardly OP and can only be activated by Jeri or Eriss Fateweaver

Tidal Wave I can see tbh. It is a 5 cost total board reset. It is a nasty card that much is sure.

Supernova... I know a guy who agrees with you xD I am somewhat there as well. 5cc for 5 damage EVERYWHERE is a bit much

For now though, these trial bans are more because of how completely uninteractive a style of gameplay they lead to. One person is playing Shadow Era while the other is not... just sitting there... :/

That is the main difference I suppose from the ideas you have.
    "Is he a man? Or, is he a mango?" - Gondorian

Join our Telegram Community.

Join Shadow Era on Social Media: Facebook|Twitter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My reasoning for forgiveness is that many players sac Tidal wave first as the first resource when they start their hand with both forgiveness and Tidal Wave. Then either they wait til turn 4 and use forgiveness and bring back tidal wave and wipe the board clear on turn 5, or they use Darklight Timelord on turn 6 (or turn 5 when Garina Road location is in play). In a typical 40 card deck, that's (4x tidal + 4x Forgiveness + 4x Darklight Timelord + 4x Garina Road = 16 Total cards.) So now you start game with 32 cards (32 - those 16 cards = 16 cards left; by the time priest is at turn 5, he has already sac'd 5 cards, so that makes it now 1 in 11 chance to get tidal wave). What is the likelihood that a combo of any of those 4 cards is ready for priest on turn 5? Its a pretty high percentage of a chance that the priest will be alive and ready to use tidal wave on turn 5. I think by banning forgiveness the chances that tidal wave will be available by turn 5 decreases immensely.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My reasoning for forgiveness is that many players sac Tidal wave first as the first resource when they start their hand with both forgiveness and Tidal Wave. Then either they wait til turn 4 and use forgiveness and bring back tidal wave and wipe the board clear on turn 5, or they use Darklight Timelord on turn 6 (or turn 5 when Garina Road location is in play). In a typical 40 card deck, that's (4x tidal + 4x Forgiveness + 4x Darklight Timelord + 4x Garina Road = 16 Total cards.) So now you start game with 32 cards (32 - those 16 cards = 16 cards left; by the time priest is at turn 5, he has already sac'd 5 cards, so that makes it now 1 in 11 chance to get tidal wave). What is the likelihood that a combo of any of those 4 cards is ready for priest on turn 5? Its a pretty high percentage of a chance that the priest will be alive and ready to use tidal wave on turn 5. I think by banning forgiveness the chances that tidal wave will be available by turn 5 decreases immensely.

Holy Shield is pretty much the same as into the forest, so maybe this card is the simplest card to put on banned list.
    On yeah, Instead of Forgiveness how about that dreaded Glass Chalice of Knowing artifact.
    Last edited by Christopher M Turro; 03-29-2018 at 04:07 AM.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher M Turro View Post
    If your going to ban cards at least ban cards from every faction.
    We're only banning the minimum number of cards that we need to. Trying to "make it fair" by taking away cards from each class to "even it up" would almost certainly be harmful!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I as a veteran in the game am defo not happy with this banning of cards that have been around for years. If this will continue to stand I will end up not playing this game any more and hope others follow suit.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I totally agree with this ban, bcuz this card make game so looooooooooooooooooooooose

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    About time I would say.
    I like my weapons how I like my music. Heavy and metal!
    -Mordekaiser

Writer of Falseblood Cultist and Thriss Crucible flavor texts.