Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Official Design Team Definition of Stall

For a long time there has been ongoing discussions about stall decks and how stall is defined vs a more traditional form of control, so the Design Team have come up with an official definition in hopes to clear things up:

Traditional Control - A control deck that aims to at some point flick a switch and go on the offensive, winning the game through pro active means (ex: Big allies/weapons with high attack)

Stall Control - A control deck that aims to slow the opponent down long enough to win through passive means (ex: Damage over time/deck out fatigue)

As an example of these differences, you could have a deck that uses Voice of Winter to lock the board and summons Stalactitan to attack the hero and win the game, which is considered a 'Traditional Control' deck

If you were to take the same deck, but instead of using Stalactitan, you use cards like Engulfing Flames to deal damage over time while keeping the board locked, you would no longer have a pro active win condition, meaning your goal is to slow the game until your opponent succumbs to the damage over time, this would be considered a 'Stall Control' deck

There are many more examples but we don't need to go through them all.

Please note: There are clearly varying degrees of stall along the Stall Spectrum (TM), some of which will be faster at winning or less enjoyable to face than other stall decks. This is in no way saying stall decks are inherently bad, as having slower decks can be healthy for the game if done correctly, but the sole intention of this is to make everything a bit clearer.

Any questions you may have can be asked below, but hopefully this is clear enough that there is no longer any confusion!
    Last edited by Ross013; 04-15-2018 at 06:18 AM.
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am damn glad we finally have an official statement of Stall!

Probably there will be a lot of complains about the definition, as some boring decks will fit on "Traditional Control" category and be allowed in Pop Ups, but at least it might end that infinite discussion and complains against the TO's.

Ty all
    Shadow Dragons

Arch Dragon

Founder of the Shadow Dragons Guild

"Sky above us
    Earth below us
    Fire within us"

Telegram: @shadowdragons
    Shadow Dragons Website
    Shadow Dragon Forum
    Shadow Dragons Guild Thread
    Decklists: Shadow Rockers

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I like the term "Stall Spectrum". For me, there's a wide range of different decks that could be called "Stall" under your definition ...

Using DOTs in a slim deck to take out opponent in 10-12 turns regardless of how many cards left in deck would go at more acceptable end for me; having a fat deck that can only win by neutralising opposing player's entire deck to then win by empty deck damage or having a couple of weak allies on board (or WBT) to chip away at hero would go the other miserable unacceptable end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well said ross I tried to mention this to players time and time again but no one ever understands