Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Your "shuffle" code is terrible.

I just started playing again after many months of being away, and the code for shuffling the decks hasn't improved one iota. It's a problem.

When I can draw seven cards at the beginning of a game, and see only three different cards...then something is wrong Shadow Era.

When I have, let's say FFM. When I have 4 FFM in my deck and all four are in the bottom 14 cards of my deck...then something is wrong Shadow Era.

It's most certainly still a playable and enjoyable game, and I enjoy it immensely. People will misunderstand this post, but it is in fact constructive criticism. I'm not trying to insult anyone here.

...Now you've got this new feature (new to me anyways) where little tips and lore are displayed while waiting for a match, etc. (personally I really like these new improvements, as well as the new "campaign" features.)

One of the "tips" I saw was to "visit the deck builder three times" in order to avoid...the very problem I'm talking about. I was literally embarrassed for you Shadow Era when I read that.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vainglory View Post
    One of the "tips" I saw was to "visit the deck builder three times" in order to avoid...the very problem I'm talking about. I was literally embarrassed for you Shadow Era when I read that.
    The shuffling is fine. We have the long-standing "shuffle bug" joke because of how much this has been covered in the past. It is RANDOM. The seemingly rare situations you mention like only three different cards are not impossible and so sometimes happen. To force them not to happen would mean messing with the randomness of the shuffle.

The Waiting for Opponent tip may be proven unwise if people are believing what the Eternal Troll is saying so I may just remove that one.

FFM situation has also been investigated and I couldn't see a reason for it sometimes behaving as you mention but that is separate shuffling there. The deck order at the start is determined by the server, whereas FFM shuffling is done by the client (both player and opponent use same seed and hence it being in sync).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Like Gondorian says, you shouldn't take what the Troll is saying seriously. It's just a reference based on a long time community joke. I even once suggested making an actual card called Shuffle Bug, just for the humor of it. Surprised Troll doesn't make any jokes about Fire Snake's OPness by the way.

As for getting only 3 different cards in starting hand, that can happen in a real life deck of cards, so why shouldn't it be in this game? Just so you can get a more ideal starting hand every time?
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    don't believe the troll.. lol

Europe Regional (Winter 2012) 3rd Place Maximont's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This guy is joking right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Maximont - Seeker of Truth
    Knight of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Somebody never played cards in real life apparently

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    hmmm...

Makes me wonder though if the "shuffle bug" joke from troll should be removed.

Those that are new and do not know the story behind it could get the wrong idea.

Just a thought.
    "Is he a man? Or, is he a mango?" - Gondorian

Join our Telegram Community.

Join Shadow Era on Social Media: Facebook|Twitter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by InsanoMango
    Makes me wonder though if the "shuffle bug" joke from troll should be removed.

Those that are new and do not know the story behind it could get the wrong idea.

Just a thought.
    Maybe, but why is ANY player, new or old, taking something that a character with a literal troll face says seriously? The guy even jokes about betting all his clothes on the outcome of the match. It's just a joke.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Banned
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm not a troll and I'm not kidding.

"The shuffling is fine. We have the long-standing "shuffle bug" joke because of how much this has been covered in the past. It is RANDOM."

-says the person who would be most embarrassed/responsible for such improper coding.

Perhaps this is a long-standing joke because it's never been fixed. Now there's a thought. Sometimes stereotypes exist for a reason.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vainglory View Post
    I'm not a troll and I'm not kidding.

"The shuffling is fine. We have the long-standing "shuffle bug" joke because of how much this has been covered in the past. It is RANDOM."

-says the person who would be most embarrassed/responsible for such improper coding.

Perhaps this is a long-standing joke because it's never been fixed. Now there's a thought. Sometimes stereotypes exist for a reason.
    I don't really like being attacked, especially when I tried to give you a helpful answer and didn't think you were joking.

For what it's worth, I didn't code the shuffle. It's a PHP function.

https://www.w3schools.com/php/func_array_shuffle.asp

We've used the same one for the entire life of the game and never changed it. Occasionally, someone gets a "bad" hand and thinks the shuffle must be broken but we've never had fewer than 1 million matches take place per year here. You must have got one of the seemingly unlikely cases that actually proves it is entirely random.