Close

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    I don't think we should take away the option to draw, but instead just have it cost you hugely to do so (so high that most people won't bother). This would mean people may choose not to draw rather than not be able to ever because we took option away.

Here are my other main reasons:

1) I agree with Mango that people with wider circle of friends or influence have advantage in current system, since they are more likely to get draws than independent players.

2) The Best Score Leaderboard is meant to be ultimate measure of skill and performance at the game during that month. By allowing regular draws, then we are missing out on some data! If you get paired with someone then you should play it out to see who wins! Otherwise you are limiting what we can measure!
    Well, this just leads to boosting (=max fixing) which to me is a far bigger issue than drawing with guild mates. And nobody has time to prove such things.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by SEF Mango View Post
    I guess I would want them to have a negative effect.

I mean, you didn’t win the game by casting Nova.

Some say that this hurts Mage game play but why should we allow one class to have the option to force a draw when others do not?

Again, we want a winner and a loser.

Punishing both players for draw some might not like but you had an opportunity to kill your opponent during the match as well. If you couldn’t get it done in time before Nova wiped you both out, tough break.

Man, I am a jerk with this stuff :P
    This just makes mages far worse than they currently are. And it's not like they were op at the moment.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximont View Post
    Every game does it differently. Here is what Eternal does

/The one with the lower life total loses. If that is a tie, then the player with the least amount of cards in their deck loses. If that is a tie, then the player that went second wins./

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like this idea.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Since no one can agree, I don't think it makes sense to have any change in April. Let's use April to watch this more closely and think this through properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Since no one can agree, I don't think it makes sense to have any change in April. Let's use April to watch this more closely and think this through properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There was some agreement.
    A Offer Draw counts as 1 point in Best 50 Game Score.
    A Draw of any kind ruins win streak.
    If both people have 0 hp at same time then it counts as "played Draw" and doesnt hurt 50 game score and is ignored but still breaks win streak.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fristar View Post
    There was some agreement.
    A Offer Draw counts as 1 point in Best 50 Game Score.
    A Draw of any kind ruins win streak.
    If both people have 0 hp at same time then it counts as "played Draw" and doesnt hurt 50 game score and is ignored but still breaks win streak.
    The ten posts above you suggest not even these were agreed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, I do believe that the majority of those that took their time to speak on this, including yourself, do feel that having draws in play are bad for the scene.

It is just a matter of how to proceed with them from this point forward.

You have more pressing matters at hand with 3.60 so I can wait for more elaboration on this at a later date.
    "Is he a man? Or, is he a mango?" - Gondorian

Join our Telegram Community.

Join Shadow Era on Social Media: Facebook|Twitter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

The Best Score should not ignore DRAWS

UPDATE!!!

As of September 2018 season, we have changed the Best Score system to include Draws, worth 1/3 the Match Score of a Victory in that Match, in your 50-Match score window.

I think there's a lot of rationale above anyway for why a change had to happen, but I want to try to capture it all clearly in one place here from my own perspective, as inventor of the Best Score system in the first place:

Since the previous approach ignored Draws completely, it encouraged players to opt for a Draw instead of playing their matches when both thought this was a good idea, effectively getting a second chance at being paired with nothing lost at all! At best, this let friends agree to both avoid the chance of a loss; at worst, this could be used for collusion!

Regardless of the reasons for a Draw, one thing was for certain: it cheated the Best Score system out of a definitive Winner and Loser for some matches and blurred the capability to find the most worthy players to fill the top ranks. This therefore ran counter to our goal of the Best Score system being the ultimate measure of player skill, performance and reading the meta that month, so we had to change it!

What took so long to address it? We couldn't work out how to count the Draws. In the end, we followed the model of football and many other sports, where a Win is worth 3 times as much as a Draw. This means that in any situation where you might consider a Draw, you have 2/3 to lose if you take a Draw that could have been a Win and only 1/3 to lose if you lose a match that could have been a Draw, which very strongly suggests to both players that it is a better strategy to fight!

Thanks for your patience while we tried to work out the right choice for tackling this!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    October season? i thought it should start from September onwards

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tolerance View Post
    October season? i thought it should start from September onwards
    My bad! I edited it soon after. I'd been updating Rankings page about Best Score that had began in October and had that on my mind, I guess. Yes it is live now and why I am a bit sleepy since it had to be enabled at 5am here in U.K.