Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Shadow Era is now crashing my new MacBook

It started yesterday after about a month with no problems. I was just playing the second campaign vs. Nishaven, on medium difficulty with Aramia, using a freeze deck that I had used previously without any trouble.

With no warning, in the middle of my turn in the middle of the game, SNAP! A loud pop made me think a component had failed. The mouse and keyboard wouldn't respond and my computer was locked up.

Fortunately, there was no smoke or burning smell, and I realized the sound probably came from the built in speakers.

When I restarted the machine there was a system message indicating that the computer restarted because of a problem, but the problem was still ongoing. Twinkling colored squares flooded the screen as memory was overwritten, and I had to restart again. I was notified of a log file which I allowed to be sent to Apple. It appeared to itemize the current hardware and software and implicated Shadow Era as the program at fault.

Rerunning Shadow Era didn't help. I could get through the redownload process, but couldn't play, it just crashed.

I used my computer all day and the following morning with no problems unless I ran Shadow Era. I even played a bunch of Hearthstone since it uses the Unity engine like SE does. I had no trouble with anything else. My account plays fine on my iPhone 6.

Just now I removed Shadow Era and its Libraries and reinstalled from a fresh download.

Everything seemed fine, and I finished one game vs. Nishaven in the second campaign, but when I was playing the next one vs. Serena, it popped and crashed and continued locking up and corrupting the screen through several reboots.

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2
    1.4 GHz Core i7
    16 GB RAM

Anybody have any idea what might be wrong or how to resolve this?
    Least active member of: ETC (Ended There by Chance)
    Account for Gondorian to transfer Shadow Crystals to: m0ghedian

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Corrupted screen usually indicates a graphics card or driver issue. Maybe there is some diagnostic you can run. I assume you have done some Mac updates since SE v3.52 came out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    On-board diagnostics show no problem with my computer. Code ADP 000

I looked into my update history. I applied all updates in mid-December when I bought the new MacBook, then I installed the Shadow Era installer and it updated SE. There were no new Apple updates in evidence between then and when my problem began.

There is now a new Mac update. I applied it and restarted. I played one match with Bloodfang vs. AI, but machine crashed during the Success screen, with the same Pop! and lock up. I haven't found any other program or activity that will trigger the crash, but once it happens, it requires several restarts before the computer is stable again.

I am beginning to suspect that a Unity or OS call is writing to the wrong memory range. It clobbers the running program, writes a bad value to the sound processor, and overwrites some values that affect the display.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't know if this is related to the MacBook problem, but I also got a quite similar error on my Windows 10 laptop after the latest updates. See below the error log and attached the output log (running the latest SE standalone version for Windows):

Unity Player [version: Unity 2017.1.0p2 (31954117ff6c)]

ShadowEra.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module ShadowEra.exe at 0023:01298857.

Error occurred at 2018-01-16_205018.
    D:\ShadowEra\ShadowEra_v3.521\ShadowEra.exe, run by User.
    44% memory in use.
    0 MB physical memory [4065 MB free].
    0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
    0 MB user address space [3699 MB free].
    Read from location 00000014 caused an access violation
    I've changed the display resolution and it seems to work now, so I don't know what the problem is.
    Last edited by BP Holy Punisher; 01-17-2018 at 04:18 AM.
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't rule out the Spectre and Meltdown fixes by Intel/Apple/Microsoft to have broken something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Please, can anybody confirm that their Mac is not having any problems while/after playing Shadow Era? What OS version are you using, and what resolution and full-screen/window option are you using?

If you previously had a freeze or reboot problem on PC or Mac, and solved it, what did you do?

I appreciate any and all feedback!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I have shadow era on two macs with high sierra. It works fine for me.
    Previously i had some issues while downloading updates, i was on el capitan. now it seems all ok.
    IGN: 17 paxvobiscum
    Telegram @paxvobiscu

1lluminati in 7enebris
    Shadow Era Italia
    http://se-italia.forumcommunity.net/

When I was Young I played better:
    https://se-italia.forumcommunity.net...entry412546954

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by paxvobiscum View Post
    I have shadow era on two macs with high sierra. It works fine for me.
    Previously i had some issues while downloading updates, i was on el capitan. now it seems all ok.
    Updating to High Sierra SOLVED the problems for you? I was thinking that Unity's acknowledged problems with High Sierra might be part of the trouble for me, but my machine came with High Sierra installed, and I had a month with no problem before it began acting up.

So, then I guessed Apple was patching Spectre/Meltdown stuff in background. I'm not even sure if silent patches are a real thing. I just couldn't find anything that had changed between when my MacBook worked fine and when it started to fail. Shadow Era seems to be the most reliable trigger for the failure, but perhaps it is not the root cause of the problem. I think the real problem may be bad hardware.

I'm glad to hear everything's ok for you. Which Mac model(s) do you have? What display resolution and full-screen or windowed mode do you use?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by a player View Post
    Updating to High Sierra SOLVED the problems for you? I was thinking that Unity's acknowledged problems with High Sierra might be part of the trouble for me, but my machine came with High Sierra installed, and I had a month with no problem before it began acting up.

So, then I guessed Apple was patching Spectre/Meltdown stuff in background. I'm not even sure if silent patches are a real thing. I just couldn't find anything that had changed between when my MacBook worked fine and when it started to fail. Shadow Era seems to be the most reliable trigger for the failure, but perhaps it is not the root cause of the problem. I think the real problem may be bad hardware.

I'm glad to hear everything's ok for you. Which Mac model(s) do you have? What display resolution and full-screen or windowed mode do you use?
    I can risk updating my MacBookPro to High Sierra and see if it works.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If you're willing to risk it, that would be very useful info to have. When I go to the city to request a repair or replacement that works, the genius might claim that I am merely demonstrating that the game is defective. Knowing that SE runs fine on the developer's computer under the same OS would bolster my position.

If upgrading to High Sierra doesn't result in the same problem on other machines, they can't tell me that it's Shadow Era's fault on mine, unless they are saying my model has an incompatible Intel Graphics chip version or some such (which doesn't really make sense with the symptoms).