Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hello all,

Recently I was talking about this new rating system with Mango, Mananexus, Spartan, Wimbled, and others, in our private room.. everyone said something they think about the system. I'm coming here to say I dislike this new system! Why? Because people need to see results to stick to the game long term.

Tell me, do you live to play or do you play to live ??

Some weeks or months I can play more than other particular time simply because I'm busy with other stuff. The game and the community serves me as a escape valve from real life, when I play or when I interact in the community I forget about real problems, it relaxes me, it takes the stress away somehow, makes my brain work in a different way, it is a pretty good tool for me. Is it casual? Yes, but I still want and need to see results so I can come back and play again. If people don't see results it gets boring and they will look for something else that actually show them some results. I decided to share what I think because I see many of you worried about evolution of new players. Worried about how they are going to do and if they will stick to the game. I don't know if my humble opinion matters but I think that the answer to that is: results! Results in first place, after that it could be the art, playability, how balanced it is, whatever.. New players need to see some progress, something to get them excited, this is the only way to get them to put some more effort into it, build better decks and be more competitive. No one wants anything too easy but it can't be too hard either. I play this game since 2011 (there was an absence over 2 or 3 years), my point is, even I am getting annoyed with this system, imagine a new player !!

I am not saying people should get stuff for free, they need to see a bigger volatility within the numbers, it needs to change more! I just understood that the new system takes in consideration your best 50 games BLOCK, I did think it was your best 50 games RANDOM. 50 games block will not bring volatility and once players get to the top, low volatility encourages them to camp. Now, if you have volatility within the numbers then you will have volume, if you have volume you have even more volatility and that goes on and on. Like that players will change ranking positions all the time avoiding camping. Maybe a good idea would even be a small drop in rating for inactivity, that would definitly attack camping head on. For example, someone that plays 60 games in 10 days and camp for the rest of the month would probably play 2 games a day during the whole month just to avoid inactivity, maybe they would play even more than 2 games a day, it could be 3 or 4 games a day because whoever can play 2 games a day can play 3 .. and guess what? that would bring more volume and consequently more volatility. The catch is, people would create the habit of playing at least a little every day and that would bring more chances and opportunities to all, you would face those opponents you need to face more often.

Maybe extend the prize bracket to 250 first places is a good idea, maybe not. Maybe if we find a decent way to increase gaming volume and rating volatility the solution is not even extend prizes to the first 250 but exactly the opposite, shorten up to 50, 75, 80, or keep at the usual 100. Prizes can continue exactly the same if you guys decide to reward the first 100 but if you decide to drop to first 75 for example, then prizes need to be a little better. If I could vote I would vote to keep at 100 but numbers need to change a lot more, all of them, best score, mean best score, rating.

I'm sure that if we get rating volatility we are going to get gaming volume!

Anyway, this is some food for thought. I hope it works and gets all of you thinking a bit.

The only thing I can guarantee is that this new rating system is not working any good!

Take care everyone and have a great 2018 !!

AA1 Jukaossp

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think the rating you have should be cut in half instead of set to zero. Should also be a rating decay somehow to prevent the campers.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    not only new players but also existing players starting with 0 rating is an unfriendly idea because of how pairing is being done currently, very often we need to explain to new players in our chat group why it is such difficult to find a game especially at the later stage of the month, and i bet some of these new players never return again.
    i'm ok whatever rating you all proposed to reset, as long as game can start in less than 30sec

i'm neutral to whether or not to shorten the rated season, ppl need to be able to find the fun to play regardless of season length

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So, are people more on board with a reset to a standard rating?

I have seen some people left out. Especially newer players. I know we have new people everyday but no all of them try to play the ladder. So, new players have a smaller pool of opponents I would think. Everyone else who has played for a month or two is likely 200+

I think having a standard reset to 200 should be good then.

Someone else brought up to me in chat that if you decide to play around and test some decks in quick match and really hurt your rating, it can take maybe a full one or two months to get back to where you were. Depending on how much you play. Of course, this is less of an issue if seasons are reduced to 2 weeks...

NOT SO SUBTLE “WINK WINK”

I know there is unrated to test decks but you really want to test against the meta to see what you need to change or if it is even a viable deck. Also, that is where all the action is anyway.

I hope more people comment on this with their ideas. These threads are for everyone! Please give us your ideas.
    "Is he a man? Or, is he a mango?" - Gondorian

Join our Telegram Community.

Join Shadow Era on Social Media: Facebook|Twitter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think what matters the most is the 2 weeks long season, that will bring gaming volume. When you have many people playing, many games happening all the time, you have opportunities to bring you rating back up! So yea, reset to 200 standard is fine by me!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I just played my first rated game with a new account starting at 0 Rating.

The usual time to get a match for my account that is in 250-300 in rating, is around 5-20 seconds. Starting at 0 rating i waited about 4 minutes.

This is what I worried about for new players and why I think a default rating of 200 for all players and a reset to 200 every season, would be a good thing for new players.

Also, I was speaking with a guy who is low 200 ratings and is having a tough time climbing. He hasn’t played much in last two months and finds himself with a big rating drop and maybe looking at 2 months to get back to a high rating not taking into account monthly rating drops. Also, he would likely have to play a large amount of games or have an insane win percentage.

Also, he enjoys to play rated matches to deck test as he, and many others, get bored at times and just want to play for fun. Now, those players are punished for this. I know there is unrated but you just can’t find enough people to play with you there as people focus in rated matches.

I do still believe that the 2 week season is a good idea and hope it is considered. 14 day season. Sounds solid and feels like it would bring more activity in games played. I have heard some say they wouldn’t mind either way while others liked it because of real life hindering them from focusing on a month long season.
    Last edited by SEF Mango; 01-08-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    A two-week season starting 1st Feb could be done. I'm opposed to changing the default rating from 0 but I can adjust pairing logic to reflect the new rating landscape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't believe we should be reset to zero if we get paired with a new player it's a bad disadvantage for them and they'll get discouraged all tcgs I play the rating system always gets reduced but doesn't totally reset, if it would reset we would see new players playing terrible against good players all the time, the system should pair you with players at skill level

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of rewards for top 250 players. That sounds awesome. What if we scaled the season length according to the time of the month? Instead of having the season length change all at ounce, why don't we have it continuously get shorter / longer then have it reset at the end of a month? I am not sure of how the numbers would play out in this, but I think it could be fun.
    ~~Ace

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    A two-week season starting 1st Feb could be done. I'm opposed to changing the default rating from 0 but I can adjust pairing logic to reflect the new rating landscape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Awesome.

If you widen the pairings for those who start new, that should solve everything. I have seen in global chat asking for people to play Rated matches. Even though there are thousands that do according to my account that showed my ranking of 3000+... xD

Can not wait for the new shorter season to begin. It should be interesting. We have had he same system for some time. excited!

Thank you again for listening to what we have to say Gondorian. We appreciate it greatly.