Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Deathbone vs. Deathbone

I was using an alt account to review the one-star storyline on the first map. I was playing Lance vs. the AI's Ter Adun, and had stolen a Deathbone.

I attacked the AI's Deathbone with the stolen one, killing the AI's. The AI's on-death effect worked properly, and my stolen Deathbone was killed, too. However, a Deathbone was considered still to be the source of damage, even though it had been placed in the AI's graveyard.

A red '2' floated up out of the AI's graveyard, and no damage was charged back to the AI's hero. I know the logic is a bit convoluted in this scenario, but I'm pretty sure the AI hero was supposed to take the damage if its Deathbone was no longer in play to incur it.
    Least active member of: ETC (Ended There by Chance)
    Account for Gondorian to transfer Shadow Crystals to: m0ghedian

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    its was charged to the deathbone in the graveyard that the AI controlled but it was already dead. it shouldnt have gone to the hero.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Is there not a rule that all damage has a source, and if the source is no longer available the damage is attributed to the hero?

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I think the animation timing is confusing matters. The only way Deathbone's on-killed ability can work is if it's still on the board so if it's there to do its ability then it is also there to be the source of it. It shows up as damage taken in the grave just because the ability damage has some delay coded into it so you could see it after the thing that caused the death but in this situation it has now confused matters. Since it's been this way for 6 years, I don't think it's worth changing but thanks for reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The 'animation' is the red damage number? So, if it were properly animated:
    The AI's Deathbone would go to 0 health on the board, due to combat damage.
    My Deathbone would receive 2 ability damage, go to zero health and remain on the board.
    My Deathbone would issue 2 ability damage to the AI's zero-health ally on the board.
    All zero-health allies would be removed to the Graveyard.

Does this mean that Deathbone's on-kill ability is never re-attributed to the hero?

I thought I remembered that as being a thing: All damage must be attributed to a living source. If the source is no longer alive, it is charged back to the hero.

If I drop a Furion Terror while my opponent has a Death Trap and a Deathbone in play, who receives the 2 ability damage from Deathbone?

If that damage goes away, the rules are being applied consistently. If that damage is charged back to my hero then we have a problem....

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by a player View Post
    I thought I remembered that as being a thing: All damage must be attributed to a living source. If the source is no longer alive, it is charged back to the hero.
    It's never been that. All damage must be attributed to an ally or hero *in play*.