Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Everything can hard counter Vess - a balance discussion and new card proposal

I use Vess exclusively. I love the play styles open to Vess. That said, he is far from a competitive top ranking hero. I usually get ~230-250 rating or so with him.

Vess has excellent draw strength with the Confluence of Fate and Blood Frenzy attachments, and also can take control the board early on with attachments like Crippling Blow, Enslave the Beast, and Lythian Shackles.

To use Vess successfully, you have to strike a balance between getting allies on the board and taking pressure off with attachments.

However, the problem is that there are so many hard counters to Vess and his attachments.

For example, Priests have Mass Purification, which allows them to remove all attachments, and Jericho Spellbane can of course remove any attachments. Human heroes have A Legend Rises which negates any attachments you place. Humans also have Sorceror of Endia, which can make you have a really bad day by removing attachments left and right. Warrior heroes and Wulven heroes have Spectral Sabre to remove attachments. Wulven heroes can also use Wulven Resistance to not only remove your attachments but buff their own allies significantly (+3 attack, 1 armor, and attachment removal? Really OP). Elemental heroes can ignore your attachments using Super Focus or reassign them with Morphic Armor. Shadow heroes can remove attachments with Shriek of Revulsion, or they can drop Rapacious Vermin to start destroying attachments. Next, there is the neutral ability available to everyone, Sever Ties. On top of all of that, heroes can use return abilities like Retreat, Banish, Road Less Traveled, and Rest for the Weary or summon allies like Slingblade Demon and Darkwood Wraith to simply remove the attachments, then resummon.

Vess relies on attachments, but literally everything can counter him and make him useless. Vess doesn't get powerful abilities/weapons like Mind Control, Tidal Wave, Supernova, +4-5 attack weapons, Now You're Mine, Death From Above, Assassination, Transmogrification Curse, nor does his shadow ability help him offensively control the board.

I honestly think that a new attachment should be considered that can't be targeted and removed. The only current attachment in the game that cannot be targeted and removed is Exaltation, and that is only available to Elemental heroes.

I propose a new Warrior attachment card that reads as follows:
    Cost 5
    "Attach to target ally. That ally has steadfast, -4 attack, and its attachments can't be targeted by its controller."
    ------------------------------------------
    EDIT: Cancel the above suggestion, this is I think a better one:
    Cost 5
    "Attach to target ally. That ally -4 attack and can't be targeted by its controller. When that ally dies, it is exiled."
    Last edited by pindleton; 12-08-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: suggestion update

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You could run the card selfishness in conjunction with your other attachments? It pretty much does what your suggestion does apart from the attack reduction

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That's actually a good suggestion. I seem to have overlooked Selfishness. That said, I still really would like a card that reduces attack and is unable to be removed.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thinking more about it, this would probably be a better wording:

Cost 5
    "Attach to target ally. That ally -4 attack and can't be targeted by its controller. When that ally dies, it is exiled."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Vess is pretty strong. Just won wild card #2 to qualify for world championship.
    IGN: TJ dubdub
    TG: @tjdubdub

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What do you think of this suggestion:

Cost 5
    I think it would be a fair and welcome addition for Vess.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Vess is pretty strong. Just won wild card #2 to qualify for world championship.
    +1

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk
    Ign- CardC0llect0r (put zero instead of o)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by pindleton View Post
    What do you think of this suggestion:

I think it would be a fair and welcome addition for Vess.
    I'm not sure tbh. I really hate the heavy attachment/npe vess builds so personally I don't think they should be given any new tools. But that's not very objective
    IGN: TJ dubdub
    TG: @tjdubdub

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Vess has quite a few tools already. ALR is actually an easy target for shriek of revulsion and Spectral Sabre.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by A1 Surprise View Post
    Vess has quite a few tools already. ALR is actually an easy target for shriek of revulsion and Spectral Sabre.
    So your arguement is that vess should run 8 cards just to stop ALR?
    Vess is weak to be honest.
    No instant free kill cards. So many ways for everyone else to remove attatchments, etc. Vess is not a top tier hero.

There should be more warrior cards that cant be targeted.
    Play vess and see how hard it is.