Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Soul Reaper/Mimic Suggestion

Apologies if this has been talked to death already. I recall seeing some discussion in the forum, but I don't remember how long ago.

As frustrating as Soul Reaper can be, my real issue with it is its synergy with Mimic, particularly in a Praxis mill deck. It seems way too easy to access multiple Soul Reapers in a game. I am aware that for many moons the rule was that we don't consider altering CotC or DP cards because of the physical game. I'm wondering if given the Brave New World we are now inhabiting (kudos, btw, for everything that has happened since the sale), we can consider a change.

How about the following clause added to Soul Reaper: "When Soul Reaper reaches the graveyard, it is immediately exiled"
    IGN: RS Kohen Gadol

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Is this really an issue? Each Soul Reaper removes all allies from your grave so you need to fill it up again for mega-heal each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As a player who uses praxix and the soul reaper/mimic combo, I'd like to chime in.

While it may look easy to an observer, pulling off the combo multiple times in a game isn't as easy as it appears. Sure the deck discards plenty of cards into the grave to be used by soul reaper, but getting them there while also maintaining some board control is very difficult. You have to maintain card draw and creature kill, and many strategies involved combos, which means drawing, sacrificing, and holding the right cards at the right time. It isn't the most fluid deck at times. Can get clogged up. And there are very few good matchups for praxix, most decks these days all have the ability to boost and hit for major damage in a matter of turns, so each game has to be played perfectly to achieve the win. Almost all games I play end up with me just on the brink, many times losing to just a bad start, or a good start for my opponent.

Praxix isn't played by all that many players, because it's strategy is completely different depending on what deck your opponent plays. You have to learn how to play against each deck, the same strategy doesn't work across the board. Example

priest deck, most tend to run more than 40 cards often up to 60, I can't just play like normal, ill deck myself before my opponent, so I had to learn how to beat priest.

Mage decks, normal 40 card deck, don't want to play BS, must hurry to find soul reaper/ get allies into grave.

undead decks, vary in size and hero but contain cards that can really throw my deck for a loop. Have to be insanely careful every single turn, avoid using hero ability early.

My point is you must practice a lot, metas change, and so does how you play a praxix deck. It is far from easy.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I respect the explanation, and I did not mean to suggest that mill Praxis itself is either mindless or overpowered. My own experience is that multiple uses of SR are almost a given and the stream of discarded allies means a significant, ahem, harvest each time it’s used. It occurs to me that Robes of Mending got nerfed when it was charging the shadow energy for four heal, and this combo seems to give access to multiple 20+ heals for 3cc each. But it’s possible I’m overstating the problem. If I’m the only one whining, I’ll back off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvsklown View Post
    As a player who uses praxix and the soul reaper/mimic combo, I'd like to chime in.

While it may look easy to an observer, pulling off the combo multiple times in a game isn't as easy as it appears. Sure the deck discards plenty of cards into the grave to be used by soul reaper, but getting them there while also maintaining some board control is very difficult. You have to maintain card draw and creature kill, and many strategies involved combos, which means drawing, sacrificing, and holding the right cards at the right time. It isn't the most fluid deck at times. Can get clogged up. And there are very few good matchups for praxix, most decks these days all have the ability to boost and hit for major damage in a matter of turns, so each game has to be played perfectly to achieve the win. Almost all games I play end up with me just on the brink, many times losing to just a bad start, or a good start for my opponent.

Praxix isn't played by all that many players, because it's strategy is completely different depending on what deck your opponent plays. You have to learn how to play against each deck, the same strategy doesn't work across the board. Example

priest deck, most tend to run more than 40 cards often up to 60, I can't just play like normal, ill deck myself before my opponent, so I had to learn how to beat priest.

Mage decks, normal 40 card deck, don't want to play BS, must hurry to find soul reaper/ get allies into grave.

undead decks, vary in size and hero but contain cards that can really throw my deck for a loop. Have to be insanely careful every single turn, avoid using hero ability early.

My point is you must practice a lot, metas change, and so does how you play a praxix deck. It is far from easy.
    IGN: RS Kohen Gadol

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohen Gadol View Post
    I respect the explanation, and I did not mean to suggest that mill Praxis itself is either mindless or overpowered. My own experience is that multiple uses of SR are almost a given and the stream of discarded allies means a significant, ahem, harvest each time it’s used. It occurs to me that Robes of Mending got nerfed when it was charging the shadow energy for four heal, and this combo seems to give access to multiple 20+ heals for 3cc each. But it’s possible I’m overstating the problem. If I’m the only one whining, I’ll back off.
    It doesn't hurt to voice your concerns. Especially when you're not going to be aggressive about them (seriously, that's pretty refreshing, thanks ^_^). There are quite a few people out there that don't like Soul Reaper, although it is not because of the ability to reuse it in Praxix decks. The heal can be devastating during a long, close game and to reset the health count for 3cc is quite disheartening and some say unfair.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, the whole problem is Soul Reaper on it´s own. Players usually need to heal at the end of the game when they usually has about 10 allys in graveyard. So it's basicaly heal to full health for 3cc. Bit OP, yes. But every class has some OP cards.
    Mimic is nice card and offers lot of interesting combos and situations, I love it!
    IGN: TJ Maskee - Proud member of Team Juggernauts !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I believe robes was a bad nerf as well. There endless ways to cause damage but so few ways to gain life. People in this game seem offended at life gain.

I'll give you the fact that sr is strong, but it's use is limited, very situational. You can't possibly use it effectively right after using it, so if you just healed up and then your opponent drops a bunch of fatties, and smashes your face sr isn't going to help for a while, you won't have any allies in grave. Good players defeat me with simple timing, hurting me at the right time. With the quick boost people love the damage can accelerate quickly.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by maskee View Post
    Yeah, the whole problem is Soul Reaper on it´s own. Players usually need to heal at the end of the game when they usually has about 10 allys in graveyard. So it's basicaly heal to full health for 3cc. Bit OP, yes. But every class has some OP cards.
    Mimic is nice card and offers lot of interesting combos and situations, I love it!
    It is true that Every class has some sort of strong cards but Spul Reaper is by far and away the most over powered card in the game.

No other card can single handedly change the course of a game like Soul Reaper.

All other heal or HP gain cards are much more difficult to activate or are able to be destroyed or prevented.

Soul Reaper faces non of those hurdles as even though you know it is likely coming, you can do nothing to prevent it.
    "Is he a man? Or, is he a mango?" - Gondorian

Join our Telegram Community.

Join Shadow Era on Social Media: Facebook|Twitter

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by InsanoMango View Post

Soul Reaper faces non of those hurdles as even though you know it is likely coming, you can do nothing to prevent it.
    Curse of the Aldmor prevents them healing and removing their allies from their grave will reduce available healing.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Soul Reaper is an ok card however its that it can be mimiced as part of discard prax decks that people think is bs. If Soul Reaper was 4 cc it be much more balanced.