Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I will not let this thread die!

5 SE is too high for an ability dependent on having allies and or weapons in play.

Make Rothem great again! Wait... make Rothem great for once!
    "Is he a man? Or, is he a mango?" - Gondorian

Join our Telegram Community.

Join Shadow Era on Social Media: Facebook|Twitter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree with the 4 se sugestion for a start. It worths a test imo
    Member of A1 family

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If we want it at 5 se, maybe we buff the ability a bit. For example most people seem fine with loest's ability

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Based on the hero win streak stats it seems I am the player who is 2nd it terms of matches played with rothem so here's my two cents:

He sucks big time. We've seen experiments with some cards (4x change to CoF) and Rothem hasn't changed a bit, remaining king of crap. His ability comes too late and while he can occasionally pull of some great combos he has 0 board control. Make his ability 4se for gods sake, if its op (i highly doubt that) just ban him until next changes.

This message was approved by "Make Rothem Great" initiative.
    I milled fat Garth with rush Loest. Twice.
    I stalled Moonstaller with Rothem.
    I played Ter with monopoly cards and 4x toll bridge and managed to win a tournament.
    I cast Portal and Kris in one turn and lived to tell the tale.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think Rothems ability is fine as it is, the additional damage you can get from his ability becomes a lot very quickly.

The current issue I think is that Shadow Warrior still struggles with board control so having many allies on the battlefield can be tricky, but perhaps with the new cards coming to the game, there will be more viable Rothem builds
    Metacognition.me

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by divinenibru View Post
    I think Rothems ability is fine as it is, the additional damage you can get from his ability becomes a lot very quickly.

The current issue I think is that Shadow Warrior still struggles with board control so having many allies on the battlefield can be tricky, but perhaps with the new cards coming to the game, there will be more viable Rothem builds
    The damage CAN be great but the issue is that you have to have allies in play or weapons. Loest ability at 5 SE grants you unrestricted removal. Rothem, unless you have something in play that is ready to attack, does nothing.

It is as Dejvo said, the ability comes too late to make an impact.

As far as new cards, there is nothing shown at this point that will change anything. The point is to make the change so that we can have more heroes in the meta. As it stands, it is not worth trying to utilize at 5SE

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Does noone utilize Pithing Spear with him? It beautifly covers that SE ramp that is needed for him. And now with LL2 will be seekable.. Yes I know he is worse than top tier heroes but maybe in time and with extra cards it will change for better? Getting his power at 4SE will probably mean for it to be utterly redesigned..

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Many smart players have attempted to build decks for Rothem. Your idea is hardly inovative. The point here is that these opinions come from people who have played this hero and are aware of its shortcomings. With or without Pithing Spear. Dejvo especially.

The bottom line is that this heroes ability is completely dependent on other sources to be able to utilize its ability.

Raikka is close in that it has allies deal and take 1 less damage. This allows it to be used defensively to allow allies to live which makes it more flexible. This is only 3 SE. Rothem just allows allies to deal an additional 1 damage and buffs weapon but for 5.

If you have 2-3 allies in play and a weapon, you are in prime position to utilize you ability but at that point you are likely already winning or just pulling ahead. So, Rothem’s ability turns into a “win more” ability.

That is why we call to 4 Shadow Energy.

Also, being worried about redesigning a cards is not something I want to see. If we need to do so in order to make something more playable, we should embrace the chance to change not recoil from it.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Can we change rothem, because really... Wouldn't anything be better?

Wow, you really are rooting for the bad guy, Jose! As the "Big Bad" of the first two parts of our story (CotC to end of DP), I think he's in a fine spot where if people really want to portray him in game then it should be a challenge. If we had only 7-9 heroes then I'd fret about your concerns but we have 32 !!! And this guy is a Legendary who isn't as easy to get as 30 others too.

Why can this be a good thing? Well, I already find it hard to choose which hero to use, and can't be the only one, surely! If they were all obviously viable then I might be too overwhelmed to pick. Also don't underestimate the pleasure of succeeding with something other people have written off or leaving open a challenge that demands more creativity than with other heroes.

So I think he serves a really great function in his current form. This might not be what everyone wants but it's where I am coming from when resisting any more changes. I think he's nailing exactly what we wanted for him. (If he becomes Tier 1 then I won't worry either though.) Hope that makes sense!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Eh, fair enough gondo, I can respect that. I guess it is true that are infinitely more pressing concerns than patching up to rothem. I'm just afraid he will always be underpowered and if somehow the scales tip in his favor, potentially over powered.