Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Can we change rothem, because really... Wouldn't anything be better?

Here's the too long didn't read version. Change rothems ability to 4SE: Choose one: Duration 1 friendly allies gain +2 attack OR Duration 2 all damage to friendly allies is reduced by 1 this ability can't stack.

Logan and ter are already kind of gimmicky and unreliable... But maybe there is still hope for rothem? Anyone want to help me come up with ideas? There are just so many things wrong with rothem I don't know where to get started... He's very underwhelming. So this thread may be a work in progress. I don't have the time to flesh the idea out completely, I'm just trying to get the ball rolling and open up a dialogue.

Compare rothem to zaladar for example. Zal gets 6 damage (provided he has two targets) for 4 SE. Rothem on the other hand needs to have a weapon and 2 allies ready just to net 7 damage at 5 SE yuck. Also when attacking with allies and weapons damage may be dealt in return to your allies and rothem... No Bueno.

I'm suggesting we keep the +2 attack to friendly allies until start of next turn and replace the weapon half of his ability... The thing is rothem doesn't really want to play weapons... The logistics are troublesome. You have to get the weapon out at the proper time sometimes well I n advance all for 3 damage. If you don't really need a weapon the turn you play it that's a huge burden. So it may be there when you don't need it and not there when you do. The result is rothem has virtually 0 early game value. If you don't have a board established ahead of turn 5-6 its jewelers dream + haste allies or bust, often for subpar value... These are massive constraints.

So if we use zaladar as a measuring stick 4SE = lightning strike 4CC.

Rothems +2 attack to allies until the start of your next is a little bit stronger than bloodlust at 3cc. And has potential synergy with battle hardened which gives allies defender! (You like that? in one stroke make two cards relevant )

The second half of the ability would have great synergy with battle hardened and grave resistance.
    Last edited by Nijjis; 11-19-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Why would you want to change the ability to be like rakkia

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would love to see his ability at 4SE. It seems fair to be honest.
    IGN: Kyltz

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by da shadowmoon View Post
    Why would you want to change the ability to be like rakkia
    Yeah, so what's wrong with that? Banebow is like zaladar, Boris is like elad, Gwen = darkclaw etc
    Last edited by Nijjis; 11-19-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Your analysis of the cost and comparison with Zaladar overlooks the fact that all the attack bonuses created by Rothem could be used to put damage on the same target. His is the hero ability that has most potential to put the most damage immediately onto the opposing hero.

There has to be one hero is the best at that and I can't think of anyone more suitable than Rothem - once we release more lore, it will make even more sense.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Your analysis of the cost and comparison with Zaladar overlooks the fact that all the attack bonuses created by Rothem could be used to put damage on the same target. His is the hero ability that has most potential to put the most damage immediately onto the opposing hero.

There has to be one hero is the best at that and I can't think of anyone more suitable than Rothem - once we release more lore, it will make even more sense.
    Sure but the point is whether 5SE is justifiable.

Comparing it with bloodlust or full moon, it looks like 4SE suits much better. The ability requires other cards to work = that’s the “cost” there. Also 5SE means it comes late = that’s another intangible cost.

So I guess what I would expect in this discussion is why 5 SE is justified and how.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylt View Post
    Sure but the point is whether 5SE is justifiable.

Comparing it with bloodlust or full moon, it looks like 4SE suits much better. The ability requires other cards to work = that’s the “cost” there. Also 5SE means it comes late = that’s another intangible cost.

So I guess what I would expect in this discussion is why 5 SE is justified and how.
    Zaladar costs 4SE and this guy can do more damage to opposing hero than him (or any other hero in fact) with his hero ability by spending 1SE more.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Zaladar costs 4SE and this guy can do more damage to opposing hero than him (or any other hero in fact) with his hero ability by spending 1SE more.
    Yeah I don’t think comparing rothem with Zaladar is right.

Raikka has similar ability. Ythan’s ability can also be converted into hero damage, and could be more than the damage zal can deal. If you talk bout damage over time, amber, Gwen and DC might do better. And they are all 3Se abilities.

What bugs me is that rothem’s ability is marginally better than bloodlust (3cc), when it costs freaking 5SE.
    Last edited by Kylt; 11-20-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes I do recognize that rothem has crazy potential, but I'm not sure that's a girl you really want to take the dance. Ok that was a shit metaphor whatever what I mean is he's probably either going to be too weak, or if conditions are perfect too strong. The thing with zal is that ability is super reliable. It goes to work early and offers solid value all game against all but solo decks and even then there are loads of worse heroes than zal in that spot... he still works.

The thing with rothem is doesn't even have a job. He can't influence the game early with any reliability so what happens is you fall behind and have to settle for mediocre usage of his ability.

You could cut his ability to 4, change from "until the start of your next turn" to "until the end of your turn". This change would really limit any synergy with defender though which seems like it could be suitable to warrior... Or maybe you could shave off a point or two off his +3 to weapons idk... I realize my suggestions aren't always that great �� But I do think buffs may merit consideration! Why do all shadow warriors have to be so damn gimmicky.. Just give the people one that's worth playing!
    Last edited by Nijjis; 11-20-2017 at 07:58 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It would be useless for rothem to have same ability as another hero other heros has other differences than this