Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

!!Change to Riphide ability will take Wulven tribe from sewer to competitive play!!

Hello,

Over past years I ve been playing Wulven heroes with Wulven allies extensively. I did feel something was wrong with them but only couple days ago I actually had a brillant brainwave what it actually is and, more importantly, how easily it can be remedied! The thing that is terribly wrong with Wulven tribe is that they are extremly handicapped at dealing with 5cc + allies, so-called fatties! As tribe, without owning the board enough to kill such allies, they are practically left with only 2 means - either disable heavy by Captured Prey which is very risky because attachment destruction is quite widespread or cast Riphide ally who strikes big dmg upon summon. There is virtually no other ways that could be of viable use (technically there exists card The Harder they Fall but aimed at high attack allies it actually kills your own heavies more). This is biggest problem to hero Bloodfang from all Wulven heroes as Darclaw either goes face or can at least swing twice with buffed weapon, while Moonstalker can stealth own allies to at least try have a killing go on next turn. Bloodfang is left with just these 2 methods. As said Captured Prey is VERY risky and, if countered, usually means almost instant loss. So we arrive at Riphide. Yet he unfortunatelly occurs more scarry than effective - because he swings at opponent ally with LOWEST health which most likely you are able to kill with whatever other means!! So a huge (and very costly - Unique and 7cc!) board come back is just wasted cause there was some lower health ally next to the real threat! SE claims it aims for players and gameplay to ideally have big potential for many tide-turning moves, however this case clearly demonstrates how Wulven tribe were denied such ability. Maybe because Riphide stats are so scarry? In actual gameplay he is not that hard to kill. Even cast by Bloodfang ability. And often even cast with Bloodfang ability he is not able to dispose of opponent biggest threat and takes return damage! I'm saying it with utter confidence - he will NOT be OP or neither will Wulven tribe become OP if you change his ability for FULLY targeted. Seriously he (and tribe) not only deserve this but also CRAVE to start being competitive at higher lvls of play. Great Wulven weenie and 4cc ally disposal, nor potential for good draw don't justify the actual bad state of ONLY Wulven board reset tool. A tool that is neccessary for Wulven decks.

So once again (and I stress that I have really thought out this and I played Wulven extensively and I am very much aware of current SE card pool and coming buffs/nerfs and new Campaign cards) I say with utmost certainty - make Riphide target what player wants!! Or at least !HIGHEST ATTACK! opponent ally if for some reasons you fear former move to be too radical. I take full responsibility for this move. Wulvens won t become broken or OP in this way. In fact their potential for competitive, yet skill-based play will increase greatly and so will SE gameplay. Please do this for sake of much better SE gameplay.

Also I d like to hear the reasons for Riphide swing being impossible through Voice of Winter. Personally I imagine him just making big swing mid-air before freezing. Right now he freezes and deals no dmg. I think it would be better if it was allowed. For sake of how Wulven struggle with ID and for sake of combating stall meta. I won t insist on this change but I also strongly belive it will make for better meta and game.

On Riphide ability change to either FULLY targeted (is it really too much to expect of super-costly, UNIQUE, 7cc ally that is primary opponent disable target??) or AT LEAST HIGHEST ATTACK opponent ally targetting I do urge you with utmost confidence for the good of the game as a whole. Do it and I guarantee there will be much good change to meta.
    Last edited by LeonTheBarbarian; 11-15-2017 at 12:11 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sorry for all the tone that might seem harsh but it was really hard writing this so that it could be comprehensive and fully convey what I mean.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Sure, we could make him target which ally to attack on summon.

It's kind of like having meek + haste built in. Except if it's explicitly the on-summon ability then you could also give him haste to attack proper as well.

How about this ...

If enough people support this, we could pencil it in for v3.53 and reassess how Wulven are doing in v3.52 when out, so please (Wulven) Rally some support and get them to post here with their thoughts. Thanks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sure. I m very positive about this change. Fellow players please support this cause - Wulven heroes and tribe needs it badly! It will allow for more competitive decks in SE. Not like now that best Bloodfang's barely can reach 300 rating, if at all...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think it's a welcome change. Wulven tribe needs a boost in strength to compete with the other stuff and 7cc allies Should be devastating
    Metacognition.me

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I really like this idea. Bloodfang needs some love and this is a change to the right direction.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wulven have always struggled to find their place in the game besides for Moonstalker

Riphide is supposed to be that card which helps Bloodfang but having him come down to kill a tiny ally does stink. A good player will actually make sure to manipulate his allies health to which one he wants to die when Bloodfang ability is ready further lessening it’s effectiveness. I’ve done it many times and had it done to me.

I’m for the targeted option. It’s still something that you can only use with 5 SE or 7CC so I do not see it being an issue.

Nice idea.

Also, can’t fix the issue with Voice of Winter. He is “summoned” so that is just going to remain the same.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yup. I love it
    Proud Member of Team Juggernauts

Top 8 finish in WC 2017
    2nd place finish in WC 2016
    10th place finish in WC 2015
    Top 32 finish in WC 2014

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sounds reasonable buff. I agree with OP, lets try this and see
    Only "problem" now will be protector or any no-target abilities, but I don't think there are too many of those in the game.
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like all changes suggested by OP! The first swing against VoW idea is good as well.