Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Post Dealing with those people

Hello, everyone, this is code cube. I have a bit of odd topic but wanted to share it. I hope this kind of post is ok. As a TCG player, I sometimes get junk about how silly it is that I play TCGs. And last night I was randomly inspired to write a paper taking a look to see if TCGs are really that bad. So I did that. Linked below is my paper. Let me know your thoughts. I did write it on the spur of the moment, so I may have missed a few things. Or my logic may be incomplete or wrong. Please let me know what you think.

Link:
    Google Docs - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    code cube
    Master of the Ythan Redthorn deck
    "Do not underestimate the determination of a quite man"

Unshakable Champion of Strategy
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed reading this.

What kinds of people are you hanging round with that are telling you TCGs are silly?

I think the paper would be improved a lot by starting out talking about Chess and then Poker. No one calls those silly. Then expand to Magic: The Gathering.

The more child-oriented ones were created to cash in on children with disposable incomes from mummy and daddy, after success of MTG. I've never played Yugioh, but I recently learned Pokemon. I think generally Pokemon is considered cool now ...?

My first TCG was Decipher's Star Wars CCG. Amazing!

My next was Decipher's Lord of the Rings TCG. Amazing! I still think this is the best designed TCG of all time. Very elegant and innovative rules. This is where I got the name Gondorian from, by the way.

When LOTR TCG online ended in 2007, I had a 4 year break from TCGs until I found Shadow Era. And the rest is history!

Does this mean that when I post Shadow Era cards on my Facebook page that people think I work on a silly game? Ooops.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    When encountering intolerance, I like to use a few simple snide things to kinda put things in prospective quickly. First I say something like, yeah not everyone is smart enough to play a game like this. Then they get a little irritated and say in a nerdy voice, my dark knight smites your blazing goblin. So I'll follow up with, don't you have some mindless tv to watch or brain cells to drink away. But that's just me. I'm a 40 year old construction worker, I've gotten so much crap about it, only way I've found to shut it down is to make them feel dumb. People are sheep just gotta know how to herd them.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think it's because team esports are all the rage now. MOBAs (league of legends, dota, heroes of the storm) and FPS (csgo, pubg, overwatch) in particular. Its not that people aren't playing TCGs still, obviously they are. But more of a side game when they want breaks from their team esports. This is why faster online TCGs are the most popular right now (hearthstone, shadowverse). This is because those games are quick enough that they can be played while waiting for queue times as well.

In fact, this is how hearthstone got popular to begin with. HS had the advantage of using Warcraft characters which most gamers had played at some point. And LoL pros were streaming it while waiting for queue times. Riot made them stop streaming it but HS got enough stream time to boost its popularity.

Shadowverse was a little different. It kept the fast pace nature of HS but the art is all anime based. So Japan is where its popularity started. Some people would be playing it on the train, other train riders would see the game and start playing it too. And the popularity soared from there.

So HS and SV both had the same general strategy. Self building resources so there isn't as much attention needed and a fast paced game so it could be played quickly. Both were successful with their different target audiences using the same general strategy.

SE is different. The games are quite a bit longer than a game in HS and SV. And you need to sacrifice cards to build your resources. There's also much more involved when it comes to other aspects such as items, supports and attachments. So the game is much more in-depth when it comes to strategy.

This is why I encourage the idea of rebalancing old cards. The target audience is players that enjoy longer, strategy based games. For a game like that to be successful, balance needs to be as close as possible with as many cards as possible. This makes winning games more based on skill and decision making rather than RNG based like in HS and SV where its just a matter of who gets to draw their top tier cards or combos first.
    IGN: TJ jonmaciel
    TG: @jonmaciel

Elder, Mentoring Officer

ShadowEra.Net Editor

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    I enjoyed reading this.

What kinds of people are you hanging round with that are telling you TCGs are silly?

I think the paper would be improved a lot by starting out talking about Chess and then Poker. No one calls those silly. Then expand to Magic: The Gathering.

The more child-oriented ones were created to cash in on children with disposable incomes from mummy and daddy, after success of MTG. I've never played Yugioh, but I recently learned Pokemon. I think generally Pokemon is considered cool now ...?

My first TCG was Decipher's Star Wars CCG. Amazing!

My next was Decipher's Lord of the Rings TCG. Amazing! I still think this is the best designed TCG of all time. Very elegant and innovative rules. This is where I got the name Gondorian from, by the way.

When LOTR TCG online ended in 2007, I had a 4 year break from TCGs until I found Shadow Era. And the rest is history!

Does this mean that when I post Shadow Era cards on my Facebook page that people think I work on a silly game? Ooops.
    I'm glad you liked it! My parents are the people who are telling that TCGs are silly. So, that is kinda my reply. I like your suggestions, and may revist my paper at some point. What I have will do for now. As for facebook, I guess some might think that. Who knows?
    code cube

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvsklown View Post
    When encountering intolerance, I like to use a few simple snide things to kinda put things in prospective quickly. First I say something like, yeah not everyone is smart enough to play a game like this. Then they get a little irritated and say in a nerdy voice, my dark knight smites your blazing goblin. So I'll follow up with, don't you have some mindless tv to watch or brain cells to drink away. But that's just me. I'm a 40 year old construction worker, I've gotten so much crap about it, only way I've found to shut it down is to make them feel dumb. People are sheep just gotta know how to herd them.
    I feel you. Prehaps you should show them this. XD
    code cube

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by code cube View Post
    I'm glad you liked it! My parents are the people who are telling that TCGs are silly. So, that is kinda my reply. I like your suggestions, and may revist my paper at some point. What I have will do for now. As for facebook, I guess some might think that. Who knows?
    Parents never understand the value of what kids are into. It probably means you are on the right track if your parents think it's silly.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Parents never understand the value of what kids are into. It probably means you are on the right track if your parents think it's silly.
    I will agree that they may not understand. But they are very godly people and I respect and love them. So I'm not going to dis them like that. ^^
    code cube

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by code cube View Post
    I will agree that they may not understand. But they are very godly people and I respect and love them. So I'm not going to dis them like that. ^^
    I think you took my comment the wrong way. MTG (the grand daddy of them all) is not even 25 years old so likely was not a thing when your parents were your age, so they will not have the domain reference or experience to judge it as you can. I meant no offence, honestly!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think you took my comment the wrong way. MTG (the grand daddy of them all) is not even 25 years old so likely was not a thing when your parents were your age, so they will not have the domain reference or experience to judge it as you can. I meant no offence, honestly!
    Oh, I see. No, you are fine! My apologies for misunderstanding!
    code cube

Greatness, Reborn