Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by AHSAN022 View Post
    Only we just dont want new player do struggle for finding opponents at the beginning
    then a wider rating range is needed. If new players at 0 rating could play opponants from 0 to 250 rating will have the same results.

My concern for reset is more for my own views of the game and the complains of the players i hear all the time.

Not all players come to forums to complain. They just stop play or play much less
    Member of A1 family

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    There are people who play a lot that are still within the pairing range of a brand new player at 0 rating.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sorry for going against the flow, but I think that, on the contrary, decaying either score or rating isn't needed anymore.

The idea behind the decay is to give you an automatic loss if you do not play "enough".

What's the impact of a loss on your best 50-games score? None.
    Either you haven't played 50 games, and you don't have a chance to get into top 100. Or you have secured your best 50 games score, and you can take as many extra losses as you'd like without affecting your best score.

A point may be made about the rating. But to secure a good 50 games score you need to play at least 50 games a month (probably more), which seems fair enough to give you a stable rating, especially after many months without a reset.
    You could of course rush the ladder for a top rating and camp there forever for fame and glory, but without any score. I'm not sure if this is an issue. A solution may be needed if it is.
    But what I don't want is to go on a 2 weeks holiday, and come back with a seriously decayed rating that I'll have no chance of getting back since it won't reset anymore.
    Maybe resetting the rating of all players that haven't played over the last 30 days window could be a decent fix.
    Member of Supreme Legion

We are legion, For we are many
    IGN: SL Jacelkos

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    actually with the new rating system, decay is no longer needed and should be discarded. there is more incentive to play on now, trying to get a better 50 games than you had.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if everyone here understands how rating "decay" works, so I'll summarise:

Your rating (R) is calculated from two values: a mean (M) and a standard deviation (SD).

e.g. R = ( M-(SD x 3) ) x 10

In this example, to start at R=0, we would need the starting M to be triple the value of the starting SD.

As you play more games, the system gains more confidence in your true rating and reduces your SD, which makes it a smaller subtraction from the mean.

To effect a "decay", we just add something onto the SD to reduce confidence in your true value again, which causes a lower rating in the above calculation (because it's a bigger subtraction from the mean). By playing more, with similar win-rate, you can get it back to what it was. If you have a better win-rate, it will end up higher than what it was before the decay.

Whenever your SD is big (like in the initial games after a reset to zero), the impact on rating of each result is also big. If you've played hundreds of games, however, then your SD will be pretty small and it is then hard to change your rating much after that.

The plan for end of October is to increase everyone's SD by the same amount (e.g. 2) to cause all ratings to decay and enable your initial matches during November (whenever they may be for you) to have a bigger impact on your calculated rating as your SD reduces again. This should go some way towards undoing any damage you might have done later in the October season by "playing for fun" at a lower win-rate than you might if you were playing competitively.

Note: If applying decay causes anyone's rating to go below zero, we will just set it to zero.

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering, the decay that's in effect at the moment (for when you've not played in 5 days) only affects those at higher than 250 rating and does not alter the SD very much at all.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacelkos View Post
    The idea behind the decay is to give you an automatic loss if you do not play "enough".
    No, that's not how decay works. Please see my comment one above this.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the input on this thread. It has been taken on board, along with everything else we've been hearing in October, to arrive at some changes for November.

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....-November-2017

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    No, that's not how decay works. Please see my comment one above this.
    Indeed. Thanks for the clarification.

Will the SD be increased every month, or will this be done only for November?
    Also, does the 5-day decay still apply?
    Member of Supreme Legion

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacelkos View Post
    Indeed. Thanks for the clarification.

Will the SD be increased every month, or will this be done only for November?
    Also, does the 5-day decay still apply?

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5X en utilisant Tapatalk
    It will be increased at the start of every month.

The 5-day decay will still happen to anyone who has rating above 250 and doesn't play for 5 days.

But in both cases, subsequent games will allow you to retrain the system and get back to the same rating again or higher (just make sure you come back and play better rather than worse!).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    It will be increased at the start of every month.

The 5-day decay will still happen to anyone who has rating above 250 and doesn't play for 5 days.

But in both cases, subsequent games will allow you to retrain the system and get back to the same rating again or higher (just make sure you come back and play better rather than worse!).
    Thanks for the answer!
    Member of Supreme Legion