Close

Thread: Charity 5k Run

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Charity 5k Run

In my old age, I've somehow thought it would be a good idea to participate in a 5km run. It's for a good cause but still, I don't really know how I convinced myself that I can do this. I know some of you might be thinking that a 5km run is just a warmup for you but you're talking to a guy that has not run any further than the length of a basketball court in the past 25 years or so.

I've started training using this Couch to 5k app about a month ago and so far I'm still alive.

I'd be interested in the experience others might have had in their first long distance run. Any suggestions on what to expect and how you did would be interesting to hear.

Also, if anybody is inclined, you can also sponsor my run for charity here: https://city2sea2017.everydayhero.com/au/Ador-Pantig

Thanks.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Good luck to you! I have managed to run 5km recently but took a lot of building up to. I hear Couch to 5k is a very good program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I personally have no experience runing long distances ( i may walk them but that different) but i have a good friend i trust who runs 20k run in mountain terrain.

His advise was to google "5k runs for beniners in "the amount of time you have available till the race". There are alot of training proccesses available. Pick one and STICK to it. Dont do litle of this litle of that.

Good luck to you
    Member of A1 family

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the advice. That's what I plan to do. Stick to the Couch to 5k program and see how far it takes me.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Good luck to you! I have managed to run 5km recently but took a lot of building up to. I hear Couch to 5k is a very good program.

Do you remember what time you got? 30 minutes is my wishful time but 45 minutes is my target.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    How long you train?
    Training (if its planed corectly) pays up in a few weeks. Since you are a beginer, try not to set time goals early. They maybe too high or too low since your experience might not be enough to define them corectly.
    Member of A1 family

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    How long you train?
    Training (if its planed corectly) pays up in a few weeks. Since you are a beginer, try not to set time goals early. They maybe too high or too low since your experience might not be enough to define them corectly.
    I've just been training a little bit over a month. Maybe my goal should be that I finish the race without walking anytime during the race...

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    How's the training going, Danae?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Training went well. But no more now. I've finished the 5k run last Sunday and I think I did pretty well for someone who hasn't been running until now. My official time was 31:25 minutes! Didn't walk at all and if I had paced myself better, I could have done better given that I wasn't really winded at the end of it all.

It was an experience and I'm seriously considering running regularly so I can tackle 15k next year. Let's see how motivated I'll be to do that during the summer season here down under.