Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I like the new ranking system.

Grinding used to be necessary if one was to rank high in the old leaderboard. I was the highest scoring player in two seasons. Believe me, grinding all the way to number one was extremely exhausting, as I was required to get 500,000 scores to achieve that. Suppose a 300 vs 300 win got me 900 scores, I needed to win 550 games, or play 800 games with a 70% win rate. It was even more demanding than a day job!
    And when I was grinding, I needed to use quick decks that won or lost within 9 turns, which strictly limited my play style. Very sorry to say that I also needed to early quit if the opponent was a bad matchup, as I needed the time to fulfill that 550-win requirement. I could not enjoy the game anymore because I cared too much about the scores.
    So after two seasons, I stopped the crazy grinding and ranked around 50 by playing the game naturally. I thought I might never go back to top 10 again as I did not like grinding.
    And then came the new ranking system.
    One good thing about the new system is that grinding is absolutely not necessary for a player to rank number one, as shown in the current ranking as of Oct 2017. It is perfectly possible for the best players to just play 50 games or even less and rank high. Those 800 games a month period is long gone.
    In the new system, the highest score one can get should be (350 x 350 / 100) x 50 = 61250, provided he is strong and lucky enough to have a 50-game winning streak against fifty 350 rated players, which is very unlikely. Most people can only get as high as 30,000 by winning 30 out of 50 games against other 300+ players. So climbing up the leaderboard is not about how many games one need to win. It is strictly about win rate, i.e. a player with 80% win rate will naturally rank higher than a 70% one and the latter can never surpass the former unless he improves the win rate. And win rate is a fair method to judge how good a player is.
    And even latecomers can challenge the leaderboard now because the head start does not matter much. It is theoretically possible for a player to appear out of nowhere in the last week and climb all the way to number 1 after 50 games.
    IGN KA Wongtinlong or Wongheungwing
    Highest Scoring Player of Seasons 28 and 29
    Favorite hero : Jericho when I use him
    Hero I hate the most : Jericho when others use him
    I have 2 full sets of SE digital cards to prepare for the 2 v 2

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wongheungwing View Post
    Grinding used to be necessary if one was to rank high in the old leaderboard. I was the highest scoring player in two seasons. Believe me, grinding all the way to number one was extremely exhausting, as I was required to get 500,000 scores to achieve that. Suppose a 300 vs 300 win got me 900 scores, I needed to win 550 games, or play 800 games with a 70% win rate. It was even more demanding than a day job!
    And when I was grinding, I needed to use quick decks that won or lost within 9 turns, which strictly limited my play style. Very sorry to say that I also needed to early quit if the opponent was a bad matchup, as I needed the time to fulfill that 550-win requirement. I could not enjoy the game anymore because I cared too much about the scores.
    So after two seasons, I stopped the crazy grinding and ranked around 50 by playing the game naturally. I thought I might never go back to top 10 again as I did not like grinding.
    And then came the new ranking system.
    One good thing about the new system is that grinding is absolutely not necessary for a player to rank number one, as shown in the current ranking as of Oct 2017. It is perfectly possible for the best players to just play 50 games or even less and rank high. Those 800 games a month period is long gone.
    In the new system, the highest score one can get should be (350 x 350 / 100) x 50 = 61250, provided he is strong and lucky enough to have a 50-game winning streak against fifty 350 rated players, which is very unlikely. Most people can only get as high as 30,000 by winning 30 out of 50 games against other 300+ players. So climbing up the leaderboard is not about how many games one need to win. It is strictly about win rate, i.e. a player with 80% win rate will naturally rank higher than a 70% one and the latter can never surpass the former unless he improves the win rate. And win rate is a fair method to judge how good a player is.
    And even latecomers can challenge the leaderboard now because the head start does not matter much. It is theoretically possible for a player to appear out of nowhere in the last week and climb all the way to number 1 after 50 games.
    Thanks very much for this post!

While some people would say we just lost some games from an active player, you have given a great account of a few important reasons why that loss is worth taking! And I'm sure you are not alone in this kind of feeling.

Also, it sounds like actually we already lost at least one very active player (you) after the two months of insane grind and also you lost pleasure in it. With the rewards based on Score, it must have felt a lot like work at times and been stressful. And not the good stress either that comes within a challenging match. But instead the stress of fitting many games into your life and the fear of someone putting even more insane hours in! (Stress of fiting things in and insane hours should be reserved for development team only!)

Good luck in the rest of the season. Hopefully the enjoyment per game is going up now and that will naturally bring back a bit more activity from you based on your joy of playing, rather than prizes at stake ... although the new prizes are definitely worth trying to put in a good 50-game window for.

Thanks again!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    First of all I agree that the new system is great and much more fun, really enjoying playing QM right now.

If you are aiming for the top 10 spots its actually still a grind nearly on the same level. The first 50 games are basically worthless and their sole purpose is get you to high rating where you can start gathering a proper amount of points. So you need around 100 matches to be competitive alone. Then there is the thing that once you are in the top 5 its hard to stay there since everyone is grinding trying to get an even greater score than you. Another factor is the quality of opponentns plays a huge role in scoring what makes it even more a game of big numbers until you get a good enough winrate + good enough opponents.

So far the top 5 have been pretty volatile with people catching up more and more every day. So if you want to be in the top 10 you still have to play an absurd amount of games to generate a good enough winquote against high enough opponents.

Having said that I dont mind this kind of grind at all compared to the previous system. It isnt boring grind of simply getting games in you are actually competing and want to bring your best decks and beat everyone else competing with you for the spot as often as possible. That makes it way more fun in many ways.

Overall great job on the system. The grindfactor however will remain in every system that isnt purely ELO based like rating.
    Last edited by AmberFade; 10-09-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    IGN: BP AmberFade
    TG: @AmberFade

WotBP Trophy Room:Achievements
    Legendary Blademaster of Gaderi
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberFade View Post
    First of all I agree that the new system is great and much more fun, really enjoying playing QM right now.

If you are aiming for the top 10 spots its actually still a grind nearly on the same level. The first 50 games are basically worthless and their sole purpose is get you to high rating where you can start gathering a proper amount of points. So you need around 100 matches to be competitive alone. Then there is the thing that once you are in the top 5 its hard to stay there since everyone is grinding trying to get an even greater score than you. Another factor is the quality of opponentns plays a huge role in scoring what makes it even more a game of big numbers until you get a good enough winrate + good enough opponents.

So far the top 5 have been pretty volatile with people catching up more and more every day. So if you want to be in the top 10 you still have to play an absurd amount of games to generate a good enough winquote against high enough opponents.

Having said that I dont mind this kind of grind at all compared to the previous system. It isnt boring grind of simply getting games in you are actually competing and want to bring your best decks and beat everyone else competing with you for the spot as often as possible. That makes it way more fun in many ways.

Overall great job on the system. The grindfactor however will remain in every system that isnt purely ELO based like rating.
    But the current Top player got this score from the first 50 games. No. 2 has played 60 games only. So as long as you can win 9 games out of 10 in the first 50, there is absolutely no need to grind.

And all the top 100 have ratings around 300, which is good.
    IGN KA Wongtinlong or Wongheungwing
    Highest Scoring Player of Seasons 28 and 29
    Favorite hero : Jericho when I use him
    Hero I hate the most : Jericho when others use him
    I have 2 full sets of SE digital cards to prepare for the 2 v 2

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I thought that ratings would not be reset from now on.

If that's the case, grinding could only be required for this kick-starting season. After this all 50 games sliding windows should roughly be worth the same on average to a stable player, and score would only depend on your win rate and a bit of matching luck.

Of course, the more you play the more likely you are to get a better 50 games streak since only the best one is kept.
    Member of Supreme Legion

We are legion, For we are many
    IGN: SL Jacelkos